IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF Borla vs Borla w/Sikky Headers Audio Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 01:04 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default ISF Borla vs Borla w/Sikky Headers Audio Comparison

MercuryISF, caymandive & I got together in Towson, MD on Sunday. We took the opportunity to shoot a short video to show a sound comparison between an ISF with Borla catback exhaust and an ISF with Borla catback exhaust and Sikky headers. The noise inside each car is completely tolerable for daily driving with no drone. In my opinion the exhaust note with the Borla catback exhaust is how the ISF should sound from the factory. With the Sikky headers, the exhaust is just a little louder and raspier, and has a slight pulsing effect at idle. Sikky headers will definitely be my next upgrade.

http://youtu.be/Wavz7h5Wj5k
Old 05-01-12, 02:22 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That does it - I'm going with the BORLA!! That video just sealed the deal. I was on the fence between the ISS DES and the Borla, and hadn't pulled the trigger yet because I haven't been able to find a high quality video with a good representation of what the Borla sounds like. So thank you for that very high quality video with excellent audio! My desk was actually shaking from the bass coming out of my little 6" Logitech sub!!
Old 05-01-12, 02:41 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

holy smokes... what a difference the header makes in exhaust tone. Sikky headers and the borla catback makes the car sound like a vette! Thanks for posting this... makes me want to order my borla catback already.
Old 05-01-12, 03:41 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymkata
MercuryISF, caymandive & I got together in Towson, MD on Sunday. We took the opportunity to shoot a short video to show a sound comparison between an ISF with Borla catback exhaust and an ISF with Borla catback exhaust and Sikky headers. The noise inside each car is completely tolerable for daily driving with no drone. In my opinion the exhaust note with the Borla catback exhaust is how the ISF should sound from the factory. With the Sikky headers, the exhaust is just a little louder and raspier, and has a slight pulsing effect at idle. Sikky headers will definitely be my next upgrade.

http://youtu.be/Wavz7h5Wj5k
Great job guys. I can vouch for the sound of both of these setups. They both sound great.
Now we need to start a group buy for these headers...
Old 05-01-12, 03:46 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both sound great!
Old 05-01-12, 06:23 PM
tomkirklan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in for the group buy on headers!
Old 05-01-12, 06:42 PM
NestyISF
Driver School Candidate

Look what i just recieved in the mail today

ISF Borla Axle Back System

Installation is for tomorrow.

With a GO Pro Video out of it. Also i weight it and it's weight is 31 pound everything right pipe, left pipe, center, etc..

Last edited by NestyISF; 05-01-12 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-01-12, 06:51 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

It was nice meeting up with you guys and MercuryISF you have an amazing looking F!

The ride with Gymkata to hear what the Borla sounds like without headers was beneficial and I agree the car should sound the way his does from the Factory. A nice deep sound with no rasp or drone and sounds great when you open it up.
Old 05-02-12, 07:45 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

I'm trying to decide if I should cut out the middle resonator on my borla.. I was going to go with silkky headers but 2 sets of rims killed my mod budget... until my Work's sell
Old 05-02-12, 08:03 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
I'm trying to decide if I should cut out the middle resonator on my borla.. I was going to go with silkky headers but 2 sets of rims killed my mod budget... until my Work's sell
Don't cut it...just wait till you can afford the headers...IMO the borla catback system works great with the middle resonator...if you really want more noise then go for it though.
Old 05-02-12, 08:43 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gymkata
Don't cut it...just wait till you can afford the headers...IMO the borla catback system works great with the middle resonator...if you really want more noise then go for it though.
I'm hesitant to cut it for sure as I would much rather wait until I get headers.. I'm more concerned with the installation cost up here in Calgary and the competency of the shops.

I almost pulled the trigger last week, but importing my car into Canada cost me 6g at the border.
Old 05-03-12, 05:47 AM
imadesign
Driver

great sound for both cars..im totaly loving the sikky headers note..
what about the mid pipe?? OEM?
Old 05-03-12, 06:22 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Originally Posted by imadesign
great sound for both cars..im totaly loving the sikky headers note..
what about the mid pipe?? OEM?
The primary cats are located at the bottom of the headers, so the catback exhaust replaces everything after the headers...some people call it a headerback exhaust...in other words it does not have an OEM mid pipe.
Old 05-03-12, 02:16 PM
FieryISF
Driver School Candidate

I installed my Borla catback 2 days ago and could not be happier with the quality and sound for the price I paid for it ($925). The installation was pretty straight forward, just hard with the car on jack stands. Also, if you’re installing yourself, do not over torque the clamps. I snapped two bolts.
Old 05-03-12, 02:42 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Originally Posted by FieryISF
I installed my Borla catback 2 days ago and could not be happier with the quality and sound for the price I paid for it ($925). The installation was pretty straight forward, just hard with the car on jack stands. Also, if you’re installing yourself, do not over torque the clamps. I snapped two bolts.
a torque wrench is one of the best investments I have made thus far. Every time I don't use it I end up stripping or breaking something...for some reason I don't think it is tight enough until it breaks.

Quick Reply: ISF Borla vs Borla w/Sikky Headers Audio Comparison