IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

For those who converted to 2012 LED headlights, where is the blinker relay located?

Old 04-23-12, 02:39 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question For those who converted to 2012 LED headlights, where is the blinker relay located?

I did a search and could not find anything about the ACTUAL LOCATION of this relay.

Apparently this is a replacement relay for the factory unit to avoid the hyperblink?

I can find the model of the new relay but I'm pretty sure it's an 8-pin OEM part replacement.

thanks!
Old 04-23-12, 02:51 PM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The relay is located above the gas pedal, put your head down where your feet are suppose to be and look straight up, its green and its a PITA to get out but once its out you just replace it w/ the brown module and all is good.

Last edited by boostftw; 04-23-12 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-23-12, 03:21 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Rick.... Ask and you shall receive......

~ Joe Z

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Also, the new Flasher relay needed is indeed Lexus / Toyota Part # 81980-06020
That takes all of about 5 minutes to find unplug & replug the new unit.

I only got pics of the Flasher swap so far.. (I was in a rush)

Regards,

~ Joe Z

Picture 1 = NEW Relay

Picture 2 = NEW Relay and Old Relay, side-by-side

Picture 3 = Old Relay & Location (mine was green & blue)

Picture 4 = New Relay & Location (brown & black)

Picture 5 = Pearl Yellow LFA #P014 & MY IS-F

The following users liked this post:
MikeyStyle (04-08-20)
Old 04-23-12, 10:18 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks JoeZ!

I miss your exhaust so when/if/ever Lexus decides to build the GS-F I hope you have an exhaust for that car
Old 07-14-12, 08:59 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Did anyone have a hard time installing the new flasher? The stock male plug has a "raised groove" on a side, that prevents it from going into the new green Sewell flasher. I had to modify the new flasher to get the male plug in, to clear this "groove", force it in. But now I believe I'm getting the hyper flash still. Bad flasher?

My DRL is still on, thought 2012 LED lights prevented this? Looks funny with both on. Also thought LED would stay on all the time, no? Currently, they only turn on when I turn parking lights on.
Old 07-14-12, 09:20 AM
305is350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my experience the relay install was straight forward didn't need to modify the new one at all, and regarding your DRL my dealer turned them off for free in 3 minutes...
Old 07-14-12, 10:39 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PurduePete
Did anyone have a hard time installing the new flasher? The stock male plug has a "raised groove" on a side, that prevents it from going into the new green Sewell flasher. I had to modify the new flasher to get the male plug in, to clear this "groove", force it in. But now I believe I'm getting the hyper flash still. Bad flasher?

My DRL is still on, thought 2012 LED lights prevented this? Looks funny with both on. Also thought LED would stay on all the time, no? Currently, they only turn on when I turn parking lights on.
Yeah you lucky bumstards in the US are able to just waltz into a Lexus dealer and turn off those halogen DRL's. Unfortunately for us Canucks our ECU does not have that option. So the only option for me was to leave the bulb unconnected so I lose my halogen high beam, but at least I still have HID High beam from the bixenon. I only use high beam like once a year if that anyway...

My installer seemed to not have any trouble swapping the relay itself once he got to it. The hardest part was contorting his body underneath the dashboard to reach the little effer.
Old 07-14-12, 12:33 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Contorting while fighting the relay was not fun. Something i was expecting 5 minutes turned into 2 hour frustration. I verified the new flasher was 81980-06020. Now that it is in, I still have the hyper flashing. Stupid me, I tested all the lights except the old flasher.

I wish JoeZ still had the pictures up so I can see the difference at the connection point.

What about the LED being on all the time? I thought that was the case, no? So it can only be on when the parking lights are switched on?
Old 07-14-12, 12:57 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

What about the LED being on all the time? I thought that was the case, no? So it can only be on when the parking lights are switched on?
Sewell wires the LEDs to the marker lights that way since there's no direct way to power the LEDs as DRL via the headlight harness. If you search on the ISx50 board there were posts on how to wire them to an accessory fuse to turn them on when you turn the car on. I didn't do that because I don't like how the LEDs flicker when the ignition is starting and also at times it's convenient to have the ability to turn the LEDs off when I want to.
Old 07-15-12, 10:59 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Sounds like to me, you swapped the WRONG RELAY....

As far as I know, my pictures are still working... The relay you need to swap sits 2 feet directly above the gas/brake pedals, towards the center of the car. Not the one towards the drivers door..

NEW Relay and Old Relay, side-by-side

Old Relay & Location (mine was green & blue)

New Relay & Location (brown & black)

]

Pearl Yellow LFA #P014 & MY IS-F

DRL can be turned off by the dealer in the US.. (some markets are not allowed)

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-15-12 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-15-12, 01:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Pics were not working. Fixed now.
Old 07-15-12, 01:42 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Pics were not working. Fixed now.
Weird... My old links were working off my iPad & Laptop.
The urls were straight out of my CL album... (which sucks compared to the old one..)

Thanks for the new links..

Joe Z
Old 07-15-12, 02:56 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
DRL can be turned off by the dealer in the US.. (some markets are not allowed)

Joe Z
Not just "not allowed", It's not possible. I took my car to Lexus of Seattle and they tried for over an hour, and they've done it for a couple of other members here, but couldn't do it on my car. I did see my car in their shop with underdash panels removed and 2 laptops hooked to it so I knew they weren't just bullkakaing me. They told me that where it normally shows the option on the software it's just not there. They then tried to look for it in other places but nothing.

Felt kinda bad, wasted over an hour of their time while me and the ex-gf slurped their latte and consumed cookies and chocolate-covered biscottis while waiting and they didn't get a cent for it...

Jeff Lange says it doesn't show up as an option on his techstream on his Canadian car either.
Old 07-15-12, 04:06 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by IceIridium
Not just "not allowed", It's not possible. I took my car to Lexus of Seattle and they tried for over an hour, and they've done it for a couple of other members here, but couldn't do it on my car. I did see my car in their shop with underdash panels removed and 2 laptops hooked to it so I knew they weren't just bullkakaing me. They told me that where it normally shows the option on the software it's just not there. They then tried to look for it in other places but nothing.

Felt kinda bad, wasted over an hour of their time while me and the ex-gf slurped their latte and consumed cookies and chocolate-covered biscottis while waiting and they didn't get a cent for it...

Jeff Lange says it doesn't show up as an option on his techstream on his Canadian car either.
Correct, by not allowed.. I meant it as not allowed by the "Software" based on your previous posts..

Joe Z
Old 07-15-12, 06:51 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Now here is my old flasher. It's black, different from your green one, Joe. See, there is a groove there. I had to make a same groove on the new one.

This OEM relay was removed from the spot right above the brake pedal. Did I take the wrong one out? I haven't had a change to go back and look yet, but I'm pretty sure I removed the correct one. I have a 2009, dose it make any difference? Bet I replace the wrong one. But nothing seems to be wrong with the car. If I replaced the wrong one....hmmmm?
Attached Thumbnails For those who converted to 2012 LED headlights, where is the blinker relay located?-dsc01190.jpg   For those who converted to 2012 LED headlights, where is the blinker relay located?-dsc01192.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those who converted to 2012 LED headlights, where is the blinker relay located?