IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What do you think about the Lexus "F" brand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 07:09 PM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davcrz5
Not to get off topic here but depending on what part of the country your from isf can be rare car to come across especially in the south and the midwest portions of the country just ask owners that live in states such as tennessee kansas or kentucky how common isf are. if you live in southern california you always see a higher percentage of sports oriented base cars in that area of the country. last week while waiting at a light westchester county police officer stated to me that it was a second F he had seen in person I pulled over so he could check the car out and few question and. two days go while getting gas I pulls gets out of jeep wrangler and asked if it was an ISF I told him yes he said that he had never seen ISF before just read about the car so yes the F is not common car in most parts of country .
This is true, and they can even be considered rare in parts of Cali...I'm in the Palm Springs area and have only seen one other IS-F in the past year. Due to this, I constantly get stopped by people at gas stations, car wash's, supermarkets etc saying they've never seen one in person and ask to check it out up close. Even in this area of So Cal, this sort of thing happens to me almost every day.

Regarding the Fsport ISx50's etc watering down the IS-F's name, it doesn't really bother me at all because as we all know, there's no replacement for displacement.
Old 04-19-12, 02:29 PM
Heather558
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm updating my kitchen and your thoughts got me thinking. It's like choosing laminate countertops vs. granite/quartz. There are laminate countertops available that now "look" like granite. It even fools me sometimes at Lowes but when I get closer and take a good hard look and then feel the countertop,I know right away it's laminate. This is the same for the ISF. I'm not surprised Lexus offered some type of F package for the reg IS but at the end of the day there is still a noticeable difference between the two just as there is between laminate and granite. To someone less educated in the field of cars they simply look at IS with F Package and think its the same but anyone who knows cars knows the truth. It's no different than BMW offering the M wheel packaging on the reg 3 series. I can spot a fake M a mile away after owning one. But I don't think it's harming Lexus by offering the F package. You pay for what's under the hood for the true ISF.... Back to my kitchen update, lol, I was set on the granite look laminate (I call it wannabe granite) because it was a third of the cost but I finally changed my mind and I'm going with granite. I would probably add some mods to my F if I wasn't in project re-do at home.. Hahaha.
Old 04-19-12, 02:34 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally, I've seem some houses with white quartz counter tops...looks fantastic. You see too much granite at everyone's houses.

I bought my IS F so I wouldn't have to mod it =)
Old 04-19-12, 02:59 PM
Heather558
Driver

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Personally, I've seem some houses with white quartz counter tops...looks fantastic. You see too much granite at everyone's houses.

I bought my IS F so I wouldn't have to mod it =)

I totally agree with you BUT quartz cost even more than granite and I'm on a budget otherwise I would love to have quartz. speaking of white quartz, my fav granite right now is Kashmir white
Old 04-19-12, 03:17 PM
gyung
Pole Position

I thought they did a pretty good job on the CT 200h F Sport for , so I think the recognition is well deserved depending on the model.

The only time I think it's silly is if you buy the badge JUST for the badge, and have zero F-Sport parts. Actually I still think buying the badge on it's own is silly
Old 04-19-12, 03:33 PM
FsportDFW
Driver School Candidate

I think the F-Sport line is a big step for Lexus. They're going from the old person's comfortable luxury car to more of a youth inspired line. It has been needed for a long time to compete with MB and BMW. The new F-Sport GS has been selling like crazy.

The F-Sport RX is the one that I'm not so sure about. Not sure how that one is going to go over in the market.
Old 04-19-12, 05:43 PM
silky f
Driver

I have an IS-F and people commonly mistake me having a F sports package......

I think the F sports package takes that exclusive F from the IS-F....

that's just me though....
Old 04-20-12, 01:55 AM
supafreeza
Pole Position

Default Ignorance is bliss

I've learn to accept it. Lexus knows how to market and they're making good money off the F-Sport packages.

My girlfriend owns an IS250 and she definitely knows the difference between our cars, however, her relatives and friends don't. I've tried to explain to many of them the difference and I've given up. About 90% of them asks me, "how come you bought the same car with an "F" emblem on it?" So I just go with the flow and say "F is for fun and I like fun."
Old 04-20-12, 07:47 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^ lol

My mom was at the dr on Wednesday and was telling an assistant about my car because he saw my moms 2012 corvette grand sport and liked it. My mom told him that I bought a fast Lexus... The guy said he didn't know Lexus made a fast car lol and doubted her..... She went again yesterday and was like your right I had no cluelexus had an isF .... Lol and he was also shocked at what they cost hahaha!

Anyways goes to show lots of people have no clue what a true F is.
Old 04-20-12, 11:09 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

my boss, who is a native of korea, goes "oh, so you bought the same car as Susan." (my co-worker has a silver IS250.) i said, "yes, sort of but it is the highest model of the group; bigger engine, more power." i also mentioned that i purchased it used. he goes, "oh, did you pay about $20k?" haha yeah, uh, close.

anyway, i don't really care all these fsports are rolling around town bc i know exactly what i'm driving.
Old 04-20-12, 12:21 PM
LexFather

I think some of the confusion is also with people that think they know the deal and they don't. No offense to anyone.

As we know the IS F was born as a skunkworks project. It wasn't a planned Lexus product. The plan originally was to produce the LFA then other "F" models. The plan also included to have "F-sport" replace L-tuned. Those were Lexus plans. The IS F, the wonderful vehicle it is just wasn't planned. Lexus though loves it and clearly invested heavily in promoting it with driving events, etc and continues to invest in the actual car. I can't think of too many vehicles that get a new drivers gauge and suspension 3 years in.

Audi has its S-line. It is not "S". They are S-line appearance parts. S or even RS might get upset about it but why? People love the parts, the company offers it, win/win.

BMW has M-sport parts announced after F-sport. However before F-sport they offered M parts and badges on many non M cars as suspension and appearance mods from the factory.

Benz has had AMG parts that are not AMG cars for a decade as well. From the wheels to the kits and some even put the badges on. It doesn't make the real AMGs any less rare or special.

We should applaud Lexus effort to expand F-sport. Some of us have been on this site for over a decade and we added the parts ourselves, TRD this, Tom's that, wheels, brakes etc etc etc. We modded headliners, changd seat covers, changed wood etc etc. All b/c Lexus did not offer it.

Now Lexus is offering it and people love it. GS F-sport sales are through the roof, past expectations and 25% of sales. Lexus saw what we were doing and has responded.

The IS F is still a rare beast. It looks different from the IS 250/300/350 etc. The inside does a good job looking different. F-sport does not threaten the IS F, LFA or anything F related at all.

We should welcome the efforts for both F and F-sport with open arms.
Old 04-24-12, 07:01 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

The first 2 or 3 minutes of this video tells the story:

Lou