My Baseline Dyno - 2011 ISF

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 12:40 PM
scrosby
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Baseline Dyno - 2011 ISF

Howdy everyone,

Getting ready to mod the F and decided to start out with my baseline dyno to see where my stock numbers are.

Got my dyno done at Stillen in Costa Mesa - Thanks Sammy!

DynoJet dyno config - CF: Standard (correction factor) Smoothing: 5
All electronics off. All pulls done in 5th gear.

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails My Baseline Dyno - 2011 ISF-baseline-dyno-dynojet_stillen.jpg  
Old 04-06-12, 12:50 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Looks spot on!
Old 04-06-12, 12:54 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good but you should have ran it in 6th gear because that's a true 1:1 ratio. 5th gear will pull a bit more hp but its not as accurate
Old 04-06-12, 12:59 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Nonetheless its still pretty cool, 60 to 300hp in 1200rpms
Old 04-06-12, 02:13 PM
scrosby
Driver

Is that what us ISF owners are suppose to be dyno'ing in? 6th?

Damnit.. I'm using this for my baseline and wanted to have appropriate #'s/readings, so I can measure the increase in power per mod.. Might have to go back and ask for a 6th gear run.
Old 04-06-12, 02:14 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

OOooo yeah... 6th gear is a must. Good catch! If your just doing it for comparison sake, 5th gear would work just as well as long as you compare the next run in 5th gear.
Old 04-06-12, 03:31 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice runs. How much was it for the dyno runs at Stillen?
Old 04-06-12, 05:27 PM
scrosby
Driver

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Nice runs. How much was it for the dyno runs at Stillen?
$125 / 3 pulls
Old 04-06-12, 05:34 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good.

IS-F dyno = 6th gear as 1:1

Also the correction factor should always be SAE.

I wouldnt forsee any major fluctuations in power reporting with the correct procedure. STD correction shows more WHP as does dynoing in 6th gear, so i see a possible wash.

~Dv8
Old 04-06-12, 05:47 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like it's making good power
Old 04-06-12, 10:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,860 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Looks like it didn't like the drier hotter air on runs 2 & 3. AFR on the first run is pretty good. Pretty sucky on runs 2 & 3. Why did the temperature go up so much over a few runs? Small dyno room without good outside airflow?
Old 04-07-12, 08:23 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,301 Posts

All the above comments are spot on. All Dyno runs should be in 6th gear, the direct drive gear. As indicated above 5th will show a false reading that is high. The correction factor should have been SAE not STD. STD numbers will always be higher than SAE numbers. It's a temperature comparison thing, and all other runs on this forum have used SAE correction. Air/Fuel ratio on the second two runs are far too lean. Did you let the car cool between the second and third run? And, $125.00 for three runs is about twice what I'm used to seeing in the Phoenix area.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 04-07-12 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-07-12, 05:19 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
All the above comments are spot on. All Dyno runs should be in 6th gear, the direct drive gear. As indicated above 5th will show a false reading that is high.

Lou
I do not believe this to be true unless it is unique to the IS-F's 8AT. Assuming 5th gear is lower than 6th (higher numerically), it will not load up the motor as much as dynoing in 6th. With manual transmissions, this will result in less torque, not more, and I do not see why it would be any different with automatic transmissions (unless there is some forced induction versus aspirated factor involved of which I am unaware). The MKIV 6MT Supras are always dynoed in 4th gear (5th is 1:1) and are only dynoed in 5th when traction on the dyno is an issue.

If this is not a conventional wisdom, and specific to the IS-F, please provide the technical authority upon which it is based. I have no problem being wrong in this regard, but I have about 700 dyno runs under my belt (with thousands more observed) with my four Supras (one MKII turbo, one MKIII turbo and two MKIV turbos), although all the cars had manual tranmissions. In general, higher gearing (lower numerically) will load up the motor better than lower gears and result in a higher torque output on the dyno. If the IS-F 8AT is immune to this, I certainly would like to hear about it. Since I have yet to dyno my IS-F, maybe back to back runs in 5th and 6th could prove to be instructive.
Old 04-07-12, 05:35 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That's what I did with an intake
Old 04-07-12, 08:34 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

I've done this, I've dynoed my ISF on 5th and 6th gear, same day, each run minutes apart, and on 5th gear the HP is higher. If I find the dyno graphs I'll post them here.

Originally Posted by KJH
I do not believe this to be true unless it is unique to the IS-F's 8AT. Assuming 5th gear is lower than 6th (higher numerically), it will not load up the motor as much as dynoing in 6th. With manual transmissions, this will result in less torque, not more, and I do not see why it would be any different with automatic transmissions (unless there is some forced induction versus aspirated factor involved of which I am unaware). The MKIV 6MT Supras are always dynoed in 4th gear (5th is 1:1) and are only dynoed in 5th when traction on the dyno is an issue.

If this is not a conventional wisdom, and specific to the IS-F, please provide the technical authority upon which it is based. I have no problem being wrong in this regard, but I have about 700 dyno runs under my belt (with thousands more observed) with my four Supras (one MKII turbo, one MKIII turbo and two MKIV turbos), although all the cars had manual tranmissions. In general, higher gearing (lower numerically) will load up the motor better than lower gears and result in a higher torque output on the dyno. If the IS-F 8AT is immune to this, I certainly would like to hear about it. Since I have yet to dyno my IS-F, maybe back to back runs in 5th and 6th could prove to be instructive.

Quick Reply: My Baseline Dyno - 2011 ISF