Am I making a big deal here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-12, 10:26 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Am I making a big deal here?

Hey guys,

So my search for an F continues. I had Carmax transfer a car from AZ to Chicago and I finally had a change to see it in person today. Mechanically, the car seems ok, but the huge thing that I was not aware of until today was that the windshield was replaced. For me it's always been a red flag because I never know how well the new sealant will hold up and I've hears stories about replaced windshields making noise. So how big of a concern is this? Am I blowing this out of proportion and should I just be happy that I have a new windshield?

The other thing is there appears to be a bit of a rattle coming from around the windshield/dash area when the second air intake opens up. The car is a 2008 with 30k miles. Is anyone else getting this? It's not that pronounced, but just some faint vibration.

Lastly, how quickly does the car warm up? Compared to all previous cars that I've driven, the F seemed to take a while to warm up and never fully warmed up by the end of the test drive. Does the F usually take a little longer to warm up?

Thanks for the comments.

-Yuri
Old 03-31-12, 11:48 PM
redsvt02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as the windshield goes..things happen. A rock could've hit it but you'll never know. I personally think you are being to picky but at the same time, your spending your money so make sure it is what you want. To answer your other question, yes the F takes a little longer than usual to warm up. My commute to work is probably about 10 miles and sometimes it isn't even fully warmed up by the time I arrive. Go with your gut because you'll have to live with the decision...
Old 04-01-12, 12:13 AM
black08isf
Driver School Candidate

Take it for a test drive, see if you can tell any abnormal wind noise or wind flow in the car. And also if possible, take it for a car wash to see if any water leak into the car. Other than that, it should not be a problem. My car has windshield changed as well, and I don't see any problem after it got changed.

Side Note: take the note of the windshield's company name and do a search to see their quality. If its low quality product, you might be able to bring the price of that car down.
Old 04-01-12, 05:41 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

When I had my 08 ISF I had a rock crack my windshield, it jumped up from a semi I was driving behind. Make sure they replaced the windshield with LEXUS approved glass and make sure the rain sensor is in the right place. The first crew that came out to do mine, only had an ISX50 windshield, which they installed but the sensor was on the other side, which eventually failed. They came back days later to install an brand new Lexus ISF windshield and I never had a single problem after that. No noise, shaking, leaking to speak of. Just do your research, ask good questions and you should be ok. Good luck and yes, the ISF does take some time to warm up.
Old 04-01-12, 07:03 AM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Is it Lexus Glass?

I think the Lexus glass in the front actually is laminated to reduce noise. I'm not certain on this but usually aftermarket glass doesn't do this.
Old 04-01-12, 08:29 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. For those who have fad the glass replaced, does it actually say Lexus on the windshield? This window had an FT logo of something that looks like the letters F and T superimposed. The thing that worries me is that they didn't seem to replace the moulding that's on the sides on the windshield. I thought those are always replaced.
Old 04-01-12, 11:30 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Hey guys,

So my search for an F continues. I had Carmax transfer a car from AZ to Chicago and I finally had a change to see it in person today. Mechanically, the car seems ok, but the huge thing that I was not aware of until today was that the windshield was replaced. For me it's always been a red flag because I never know how well the new sealant will hold up and I've hears stories about replaced windshields making noise. So how big of a concern is this? Am I blowing this out of proportion and should I just be happy that I have a new windshield?

The other thing is there appears to be a bit of a rattle coming from around the windshield/dash area when the second air intake opens up. The car is a 2008 with 30k miles. Is anyone else getting this? It's not that pronounced, but just some faint vibration.

Lastly, how quickly does the car warm up? Compared to all previous cars that I've driven, the F seemed to take a while to warm up and never fully warmed up by the end of the test drive. Does the F usually take a little longer to warm up?

Thanks for the comments.

-Yuri
When I bought mine I noticed that the windshield had been replaced with aftermarket glass (Pilkington), and I do hear some air noise at high speeds which indicates that it wasn't sealed properly. There is a also a slight imperfection in the glass about 2" long on the upper drivers side. But that wasn't a deal breaker to me because here in AZ our roads are covered with so much crap (rocks, landscaping trucks with stuff flying out of them, etc) that I end up getting mine replaced about once a year anyways, and I have a zero glass deductible so it doesn't cost me a thing. And sure enough, it is now exactly 1 year after I bought it and it has a huge chip which requires replacement, so I'm going to take it to the dealership to make sure it gets done right.

As for the rattling noise, mine didn't have that when I bought it but it just started doing it a few months ago. I rattles right around the 3,000-3,500 rpm range, and it drives me nuts. I took it to the dealership and they said unfortunately rattles aren't covered under the extended warranty (I'm out of the 50K warranty but I bought the 125K 8 year platinum extended warranty). It sounds like something in the top the dash right in the center of it, but it very well could be the windshield. I only hear it when the radio is off, which is usually only when I have passengers in the car and we are having a conversation, so again it's not a huge issue. Maybe when I get the windshield replaced with Lexus glass the rattle will go away.
Old 04-01-12, 02:10 PM
black08isf
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. For those who have fad the glass replaced, does it actually say Lexus on the windshield? This window had an FT logo of something that looks like the letters F and T superimposed. The thing that worries me is that they didn't seem to replace the moulding that's on the sides on the windshield. I thought those are always replaced.
It seem like they putted aftetmarket windshield on for that car. If it's OEM, on the driver side bottom coner (right above VIN #), it should say LEXUS. I also notice there are company use name like lexan, etc to fool people. Watch out for those. And hope you will have an F soon to enjoy.
Old 04-01-12, 02:59 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

It will say Lexus on the glass. Mine says it on every piece of glass.
Old 04-01-12, 03:14 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If its replaced with lexus glass I would let it slide, if your getting a good deal. Any other brand of glass and I would walk away.
Old 04-01-12, 03:28 PM
AAM6906
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had my windshield replaced under warranty and have no complaints here, ive had zero problems with the new one........
Old 04-01-12, 06:03 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The windshield needing to be replaced is nothing big. Sometimes road debris and rock chips hit it just right to cause severe cracking. But as long as it was replaced with full documentation provided, I see no problem. The F for me takes about 5-10 mins before temps hit the third level (08-09 model). But do take it for a test drive to make sure it's exactly what you want. Hope it is, and when you do get it, post some pics!
Old 04-01-12, 07:52 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Well the glass is definitely not Lexus since no Lexus name is present. The funny thing is the manager said that even the Lexus dealer doesn't use their own glass but simply gets oem stuff. I found that claim a bit dubious. The more I think about it the more I think I am going to walk away. It's not worth shelling out this kind of money for a car that has a several things that can bug me constantly. The sad part is underneath the car looks like it's brand new. No rust wghat so ever and all the bolts look brand new. But the rattle and the potentially iffy windshield are really making this car unattractive. The other thing that I have not mentioned is that the rear bumper appears to be a little bit displaced which is causing the trunk cover to rub slightly where it comes close to the bumper. The far doesn't seem like it's been in any accidents, but I just can't figure out what happened to the bumper. In the end, it's becoming harder and harder to justify 40k.
Old 04-01-12, 11:26 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the glass is definitely not Lexus since no Lexus name is present. The funny thing is the manager said that even the Lexus dealer doesn't use their own glass but simply gets oem stuff. I found that claim a bit dubious. The more I think about it the more I think I am going to walk away. It's not worth shelling out this kind of money for a car that has a several things that can bug me constantly. The sad part is underneath the car looks like it's brand new. No rust wghat so ever and all the bolts look brand new. But the rattle and the potentially iffy windshield are really making this car unattractive. The other thing that I have not mentioned is that the rear bumper appears to be a little bit displaced which is causing the trunk cover to rub slightly where it comes close to the bumper. The far doesn't seem like it's been in any accidents, but I just can't figure out what happened to the bumper. In the end, it's becoming harder and harder to justify 40k.
The underside of the car looks so nice because it's an AZ car - no snow, rain, salt, etc here! And the fact that it's an AZ car is also probably the reason the windshield has been repaired, because as I mentioned in my last post we have a LOT of road debris here. I think you're making too big of a deal about something like a windshield. If it really bothers you, then just buy it, put a crack in it with a hammer, then file an insurance claim and take it to a glass company and tell them you want Lexus glass installed on it. Problem solved!
Old 04-02-12, 11:46 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i also bought my car via carmax and fortunately, the small problems i found, they actually fixed before i decided to buy. (i.e. curb rash on all wheels repaired, rear rotors and pads replaced, scratches buffed out.)

i doubt they will replace the windshield for you tho. you could always ask.

i had looked at a number of used F's and every one had something "wrong" that bugged me, so, i passed and kept looking even tho some of them were decent deals. good luck w/ your search.

Quick Reply: Am I making a big deal here?