IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Apexi Throttle Control installed: i love it :D

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 05:37 AM
pat1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the ARK throttle controller last week and received it thursday. I installed it thursday night and drove it to work. I had dead pedal twice that morning and the trans wasn't shifting correctly. When I got to work I pulled the battery to reset the pcm and went relearn the ARK module by their instrictions. I thought maybe I did something wrong. I drove it home thiat night and it was worse. If you were in the gas normal it would shift a little better but if you gave it over 30% throttle the thrans would hang in gear and not shift. I had to pull of the road and disconnect the module. The trans shifted perfect after that.

I bought the ARK from Mod in Japan ( awesome customer service) They are offering me the apexi throttle controller and my question is have any of you guys had this happen with the apexi unit? How does the trans shift? does it hang in gear? Maybe I got a bad one from the start,
Old 07-26-15, 11:42 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by pat1
I bought the ARK throttle controller last week and received it thursday. I installed it thursday night and drove it to work. I had dead pedal twice that morning and the trans wasn't shifting correctly. When I got to work I pulled the battery to reset the pcm and went relearn the ARK module by their instrictions. I thought maybe I did something wrong. I drove it home thiat night and it was worse. If you were in the gas normal it would shift a little better but if you gave it over 30% throttle the thrans would hang in gear and not shift. I had to pull of the road and disconnect the module. The trans shifted perfect after that.

I bought the ARK from Mod in Japan ( awesome customer service) They are offering me the apexi throttle controller and my question is have any of you guys had this happen with the apexi unit? How does the trans shift? does it hang in gear? Maybe I got a bad one from the start,
Not had this with my Apexi.

Only time I noticed it really holding the gears was when I had the throttle controller and sports mode on at the same time.

I've had one issue with the Apexi(I've installed 5 or 6 so far), and that was when I got the F harness the wrong way around. Threw up a CEL, went into limp mode etc.

Luckily after turning the harness connections around, and disconnecting then reconnecting the battery, all was well again.

I do think it holds the gears a bit longer, but not too much.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-15, 01:30 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pat1

when you were programming the throttle controller, did you step on the accelerator pedal all the way down pressing the "button" under the pedal?
i had no problems with my throttle controller,but from my experience after reseting my car,i drive it at WOT couple of times,now my transmission would sometimes stay on high RPMs (wont shift) but i know the car is just waiting for me if i would step on it again.....so from 4500rpm it will not shift up until 2500rpm,i know its not deffective,its just waiting for my foot if i will step on it again
Old 07-27-15, 10:36 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Has anyone actually seen the 10% better fuel economy claims?
Just out of curiosity, the other day I put it in economy mode and also turned on Snow mode to see what my MPG would be. I drove around town for about 25 miles - all stop & go with top speeds around 50mph - and I averaged a whopping 26.8mpg!! That's quite an improvement compared to my regular 15.6 that I was averaging before the test. Can't say that I'd ever drive around like that on a regular basis because the car has no *****, but if you were wanting to neuter it for any reason (wife/kids/friend driving it) that would sure do it!
Old 07-29-15, 03:31 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jleonard71
Just out of curiosity, the other day I put it in economy mode and also turned on Snow mode to see what my MPG would be. I drove around town for about 25 miles - all stop & go with top speeds around 50mph - and I averaged a whopping 26.8mpg!! That's quite an improvement compared to my regular 15.6 that I was averaging before the test. Can't say that I'd ever drive around like that on a regular basis because the car has no *****, but if you were wanting to neuter it for any reason (wife/kids/friend driving it) that would sure do it!
Not to get off topic, but I had a VIP parking mode on my VW GTI ecu. It was great. Car would rev above 3500 rpms and wouldnt go over 40. It would hit lag and it was very noticble in sound. So when those young punks would take my car and park on the expensive nights with the misses. I could her them hitting lag in parking deck and that meant no tip for you bro.

26 mpg is sexy though.
Old 07-29-15, 04:39 PM
Lexgendboi
Driver

I got the ARK throttle controller from MOJ, and the headache started from installation( no English instruction) to throttle retarded during normal driving, and even when or during acceleration (got honked by people for thinking i was cutting them off then drive slow). It was so unstable, and it throws "VSC", "TRAC OFF" everytimes it retarded. I got scared so i took it off and Mod Of Japan swapped me an APEXI one per request @ no charge for return shipment and shipment of the new APEXI unit. BTW, APEXI worked great...i love it. No need to tap to power the unit. Plug and play. The only thing is we gotta remember them light color to know which mode we're in and im getting a hang of it after a few drives....shoot.....i only remember RED lol....