IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

S4Play Diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 02:02 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4Play Diffuser

So I bought a used one and it came with self tapping screws...do i just self tap it into the plastic underneath the car?
Old 03-24-12, 02:11 PM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, its that simple
Old 03-24-12, 02:21 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by boostftw
yes, its that simple
ahh ok i just probally overthinking things lol...

does those screws hit anything?
Old 03-24-12, 02:21 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

super simple.. straight forward
Old 03-24-12, 04:21 PM
RichieISF
Rookie

Ive got one also.,

Are there any picture showing EXACTLY how it has to be mounted.?
Old 03-24-12, 05:34 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RichieISF
Ive got one also.,

Are there any picture showing EXACTLY how it has to be mounted.?
I'm wondering too.... I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and I held it up to the rear bumper and it looks like there's going to have to be some modification of it to work... either that or remove 2 black plastic pieces (one on each side) that are on the car near the bumper and "exhaust diffusers" Mine also was dissapointing in the "finish" quality and the edges seem wavy and uneven and not straight/well manufactured... Is it just me or am I expecting too much for a thin piece of plastic over $250?
I'm also concerned about just using only the small self tapping screws to have it installed as I do drive quite fast on frequent occasion... (will hopefully be doing the Texas Mile this or next year and will be topping out the car's top speed) and don't want the thing flying off.... So.. .I bought SS #6 (i think) bolts/washers and locking nylon nuts to install so it would be less likely to rip off. I'm also thinking about using heavy duty velcro along the entire outside contact edge to keep air from catching in between the diffuser and the bumper.... Is this all nuts?
Old 03-24-12, 07:20 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ yes you remove the 2 black plastic pieces. I have had it on my car for a while and I doubt it would ever come off. I got mine used for $100 though
Old 03-24-12, 07:42 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I taped mine in place first with masking tape. I then drilled small pilot holes thru the holes on the diffuser then used the self tapping screws and voila

Lou
Attached Thumbnails S4Play Diffuser-diffuser-1s.jpg  
Old 03-24-12, 09:52 PM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

@ ERDoc74 - I've had two of them and the first one had a much better finish quality than the 2nd one. The 2nd one was as you described, pretty rough around the edges. I sanded the wavy edges down and then painted it Obsidain to match my car...voilla, came out pretty nice.

I used the supplied screws with the first one I bought and it did end up flying off on the road after about 6 months. So with the 2nd one, I used oversized screws and washers, along with Loctite. This time I'll be keeping a much closer eye on them to see if any are backing out/loosening up.
Old 03-24-12, 09:59 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Apexsports
@ ERDoc74 - I've had two of them and the first one had a much better finish quality than the 2nd one. The 2nd one was as you described, pretty rough around the edges. I sanded the wavy edges down and then painted it Obsidain to match my car...voilla, came out pretty nice.

I used the supplied screws with the first one I bought and it did end up flying off on the road after about 6 months. So with the 2nd one, I used oversized screws and washers, along with Loctite. This time I'll be keeping a much closer eye on them to see if any are backing out/loosening up.
Good to know I just wasn't being overly picky.... lots of guys on here with the S4Play diffuser and hadn't heard any complaints about the fit/finish so was a little dissapointed when I got it...
Also good to know that my thinking wasn't too crazy about the little screws maybe not being adequate and that the diffuser could come off if not more securely attatched! I'll definiely be going with my bolt/washer/nut harware (and velcro) FOR SURE now.. THANKS!!!
Old 03-24-12, 11:59 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm mine is very smooth and fit very well. I also taped it on and then put the screws in when I installed it.
Old 03-25-12, 12:28 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

i think ima plastidip it and then install it with double sided tape and self tapping screws
Old 03-26-12, 07:10 PM
gtrnaisf
Rookie

whats the diffuser made of?
Old 03-27-12, 09:11 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you guys have questions you can always PM me and I'll be happy to help!

Or if you are local in Norcal, we can help you with the install

The screws are self-tapping screws but for the IS-F you want to remove the plastic piece that is directly under the exhaust tips. There are two 10mm bolts, you will remove 2 bolts, slide off the plastic piece, then re-install the one 10mm bolt that holes the exhaust tips in place. This will give you the clearance to install the diffuser.

Again any questions just email me!

s4playko@yahoo.com

I'm always here to help though I've been super busy so not always on the forum so email is BEST

The diffusers are being sold through Clublexus vendor: EXACT MOTORSPORTS in Milpitas, CA

cheers!
Old 03-27-12, 03:09 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
The screws are self-tapping screws but for the IS-F you want to remove the plastic piece that is directly under the exhaust tips. There are two 10mm bolts, you will remove 2 bolts, slide off the plastic piece, then re-install the one 10mm bolt that holes the exhaust tips in place. This will give you the clearance to install the diffuser.
I really don't know what you are talking about My diffuser comes no where near the exhaust tips or the 10mm bolts Have you made a design change

Lou

Quick Reply: S4Play Diffuser