IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tinted Windows=Poor Radio Reception?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 06:15 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tinted Windows=Poor Radio Reception?

Ok, quick question for everyone. Since I picked up my new car about four weeks ago, I noticed that the AM radio stations all had varying amounts of static to them. In addition, when I started listening to the XM radio, there was a lot of what I call "tininess" to the sound, almost like a really low bit rate MP3 would be. So I drop the car off last weekend to take a look, and the answer I got was that the tint on my windows was causing interference with the radio signals. Now the car came tinted from the dealer, I had no doing in that. I just find it hard to believe that because my rear window has a thin layer of tint, that I can not listen to AM radio or XM with any type of quality.

Anyone else have any similar problems with radio reception and tinted windows?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 02-26-12, 06:30 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope i have all my windows tinted and i can listen to the radio with no interference.
Old 02-26-12, 06:44 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had a metallic tint applied as opposed to ceramic it can interfere with radio reception.
Old 02-26-12, 11:04 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

All my windows are tinted and I can listen to my Conservative AM programming with no problem!
Old 02-26-12, 11:24 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does is sound different when the windows are down?
Old 02-26-12, 12:59 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Does is sound different when the windows are down?
I have not notice any difference with the windows down vs the windows up.
Old 02-26-12, 01:24 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
Ok, quick question for everyone. Since I picked up my new car about four weeks ago, I noticed that the AM radio stations all had varying amounts of static to them. In addition, when I started listening to the XM radio, there was a lot of what I call "tininess" to the sound, almost like a really low bit rate MP3 would be. So I drop the car off last weekend to take a look, and the answer I got was that the tint on my windows was causing interference with the radio signals. Now the car came tinted from the dealer, I had no doing in that. I just find it hard to believe that because my rear window has a thin layer of tint, that I can not listen to AM radio or XM with any type of quality.

Anyone else have any similar problems with radio reception and tinted windows?

Thanks,

Kevin
This may all be normal as both AM and Sat are low-quality sound sources.

The the Sat radio sound you hear is normal (bad). Sat radio uses really low bit rates so your perception "almost like a really low bit rate MP3" is exactly correct - it's a really low bit rate. Since Sat is a digital modulation, you either receive it or you don't - no in between. Also, I don't think the Sat antenna is built into the windows. So I don't think what you hear with the Sat has anything to do with radio reception or antennas / tinting.

Your AM performance may be normal too. AM is normally subject to noise and static except for really strong stations. OTOH, I think the AM antenna is built into the window, so a metallic tint may cause problems and might also affect your FM reception.

If you're having static with strong, local stations then something may be wrong. If you can somehow park your car next to an identical car (less tinting) and tune to the same AM station(s) and compare, you could determine if you really have a problem. Another, test: if you can receive distant AM stations at night ((even if they're noisy and fad in and out) your reception is probably just fine.

Anyway, neither Sat radio nor AM are really high quality sources no matter where you listen - car, home, etc.
Old 02-26-12, 06:14 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
This may all be normal as both AM and Sat are low-quality sound sources.

The the Sat radio sound you hear is normal (bad). Sat radio uses really low bit rates so your perception "almost like a really low bit rate MP3" is exactly correct - it's a really low bit rate. Since Sat is a digital modulation, you either receive it or you don't - no in between. Also, I don't think the Sat antenna is built into the windows. So I don't think what you hear with the Sat has anything to do with radio reception or antennas / tinting.

Your AM performance may be normal too. AM is normally subject to noise and static except for really strong stations. OTOH, I think the AM antenna is built into the window, so a metallic tint may cause problems and might also affect your FM reception.

If you're having static with strong, local stations then something may be wrong. If you can somehow park your car next to an identical car (less tinting) and tune to the same AM station(s) and compare, you could determine if you really have a problem. Another, test: if you can receive distant AM stations at night ((even if they're noisy and fad in and out) your reception is probably just fine.

Anyway, neither Sat radio nor AM are really high quality sources no matter where you listen - car, home, etc.
I didn't think the Sat antenna was in the windows either. So the quality of XM is really just that bad? If so I can't see why anyone would purchase a subscription. As for the AM, the strongest station in the Milwaukee area, AM 620, barely comes in, which is the same for every other AM station. So something is up with that for sure. FM reception is spot on, much clearer and better sounding than the XM. My car is going back in tomorrow to have another look at it. Hopefully they can figure something out, as I listen to a lot of Marquette and Brewer games on the AM.

Kevin
Old 02-26-12, 07:18 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You listen to AM? Holy crap, how old are you? I like XM though that for youngsters...
Old 02-26-12, 08:01 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
I didn't think the Sat antenna was in the windows either. So the quality of XM is really just that bad? If so I can't see why anyone would purchase a subscription...Kevin
I guess most people just don't care about the sound quality. Good luck with the AM issue.
Old 02-27-12, 10:42 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
I guess most people just don't care about the sound quality. Good luck with the AM issue.
Thanks. In doing more research it looks like the general consensus is that XM is just plain bad quality for the most part, and people put up with it do to the variety. If I can still get Brewer and Marquette coverage through XM, then I would be set, as that is my main reason for needing AM in the first place.
Old 02-27-12, 12:06 PM
350FSport
Driver

If your tint is metallic it will cause interference issues. Does your tint have that silver hue? If so, get it replaced with carbon-based tint. I have tint and AM/XM reception is fine.
Old 02-27-12, 01:41 PM
djhydro
Driver

I have to join and say my AM as well as FM both are horrible.. I have 20% tint all around and even the front windshield.. I get static everywhere!
Old 02-28-12, 02:22 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

I have the 3M tint and I have no issues with radio reception.
Old 03-05-12, 07:01 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Well this last week I had the tint on the rear window removed and replaced, and I now have crystal clear (ha) AM reception. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Tinted Windows=Poor Radio Reception?