IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone Come from BMW M to ISF and never looked back?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 07:07 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the opportunity to put the M3 on the streets for a joy ride. It's a great car. The 2008 F caused the Germans to take notice of the new samurai.

What Lexus owns have that BMW does not is Yaguchi-the mastermind engineer behind the F.
The 2012 is a remarkable driver's car. A split second up or down means nothing and is a variable based more on the driver than the car. I love the exceptional mid- range to top end performance, the voice of a beast, and the ability to go from calm sportster to jet fighter in a split second. That's the F experience.

And the F has the lines the M3 will never have. Not a day goes by without someone commented on the car's design--presence.

MotorTrend says the 2012 should give AMG and M reason the quiver. (search for MotorTrend First Test: Lexus 2012 ISF.)

Two great rides--but one choice in my mind. And, having owned the bimmer and dealt with BMW service, I can tell you that they do not come close to Lexus and their outstanding service.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-22-12, 07:49 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ISF! I was looking at the M3 and C63 until I saw the gas MPG and then had to pay a gas tax!!!

Plus the ISF comes fully loaded with the pricing!
Old 02-22-12, 08:34 PM
wuboy28
Driver School Candidate

Yea before i bought my ISF my other option was an M3 . I went when the lexus. because of the much better interior. Bmw needs to update their interior bad .
Old 02-22-12, 11:07 PM
ItsanF
Driver

I have had so many cars I forget what the number is at. But yes, I have came from an M3 and never looked back. Talk about problems....The ISF hasnt given me a single light yet, nor did my is300 back in the day. Honestly, you cant go wrong with lexus either way.. I have had a supercharged s2k (japanese), a lotus exige s (japanese) and two lexus' (is300 and ISF both japanese)....I know some of you may say well, the lotus exige is a british car...well yes, but it has a supercharged toyota motor in it...Anywho, you will be very happy with the ISF and you wont want to hop in another german car for the rest of your life...that is, unless you dont mind dealing with problems..
Old 02-23-12, 05:16 AM
BMWM2ISF
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

I hear all of what your saying. The M3 uses high rev and gearing to simulate torque. Although, a true Drivers car, the M3's high rev, and race track appeal would be interesting to me if I was 25. Now that I am 45, I am looking for a Quiet, easy-to-maintain, accurate, fun-to-drive, sports sedan-like, Car that gets great gas mileage and can go from Daily driver to Mr Hyde.

I think that this is a niche car for people who are smart and are critical about how a car performs. Lexus Products, and Especially the ISF. ISF Owners are not Badge Wavers, although some people driving other brands are. I for one could not tollerate the Constant shake and small vibrations that were tranfered from those Dern BMW Runflat tires. I tried the 535 with M effects. Good 'Looking but vibration there. So, I tried the 550, and still the dern vibration was there and also noticeable to the Sales Guy who commented that he could see the rear of my headrest shiking like a Chiuaua on a cold day! Then i go to the M products and try the M3. I did have to rev it quite a bit to get onto Freeway driving speed. While on Freeway, I could barely hear my passenger, and I would not be able to use the Bluetooth phone unless I was yelling. I was so dissapointed, that I went to Mercedes and the AMG. I spent weeks reading reviews, and learning on MBWorld. I like the C63 but after 2 test drives, It was just another C class with a big gas guzzlilng engine that kinda made me go, " Ehhh."

I never felt that the germans mastered the navigation, touch screen area. I loved my Honda SI's Navigation and media center interface. Lexus and it's touch screen is similar, and very intuitive. BMW and the Idrive...Forget-about-it! lol

I feel that we are very lucky that Lexus and Yaguchi, put this amazing car together for us.

The Isf IS one of those Cars that you like to look back at while walking away. It's driving position is low, and cool without being obnoxious. I sat in one today at the dealership that I felt could be a color that I would like to own. While the Blue is cool, it might be a little too much for me, but I did like the Starfire Pearl with Red interior. Looking at colors. Here are a few shots of the 2009 Ultrasonic blue that we test drove a Nebula Gray that looks great in the sun, a Mercury that is similar to many other cars, and a Starfire Pearl, that I'm really starting to like...

Nebula

And the color Im leaning towards.

Old 02-23-12, 10:16 AM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Interestingly.....I have gone:

08 ISF -> 09 GTR -> 09 ISF -> 11 GTR -> 11 M3 DCT -> 12 C63 AMG

The M3 pulled the ISF from any MPH...up to 120 it was about 1.5-2 car lengths and then it seemed to be pretty event. The C63 just simply KILLS both cars, my 12 has the p31 package and they are making 420 whp STOCK. Having said that, the gas mileage, fit, finish, feel and overall package on the ISF still talks to me. I might pick up a 12 ISF just to try it.

Peter
Old 02-23-12, 10:41 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts

I have come directly from an 04 M3 to the ISF, and while I can say I never have questioned the move, I have looked back. The ISF currently is the perfect car for me. Reliable, fast, great fun at the track, comfortable with great luxury features, has four doors and is decent enough in the winter to make it a daily driver. There are a bunch of other great cars in this generally segment, and while others may do certain things better than the F, I feel any move now would just be a lateral move for me.

Now I have looked back though. There was a certain feel that an M car has that is not reproduced by any other car I have driven. I haven't spent much time really behind the E9x series M cars, but the E46 was something special for sure. Does it stack up to the F? Not really, not as a whole package, but it was a hell of a car that I still wish I had the opportunity to drive when I want to. I am really happy with my choice on the ISF and there aren't many things to nitpick about the car at all. Good luck with your pending purchase, I am sure you will be plenty happy with the new car, but if you are like me, you will still miss the M for what it is.

Kevin
Old 02-23-12, 10:46 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

The 3rd picture is not nebula gray, it an is350 from a member who custom paint color, and his rear bumper is ISF. not true nebula gray
Old 02-23-12, 10:49 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by houstonT
Interestingly.....I have gone:

08 ISF -> 09 GTR -> 09 ISF -> 11 GTR -> 11 M3 DCT -> 12 C63 AMG

The M3 pulled the ISF from any MPH...up to 120 it was about 1.5-2 car lengths and then it seemed to be pretty event. The C63 just simply KILLS both cars, my 12 has the p31 package and they are making 420 whp STOCK. Having said that, the gas mileage, fit, finish, feel and overall package on the ISF still talks to me. I might pick up a 12 ISF just to try it.

Peter
I look back at my GT-R everyday! And it will kill the merc! Actually, the IS-F still feels slow (as would the others) as I had 600hp coming out of my GT-R. I will say this: the IS-F is a blast to drive and is just what the doctor ordered for a balance of luxury, power, performance, practicallity and reliability for daily driven car. Absolutely love it after 3 weeks of ownership.

Geeze, you go thru cars more than me!
Old 02-23-12, 05:08 PM
BMWM2ISF
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Originally Posted by blitz_714
The 3rd picture is not nebula gray, it an is350 from a member who custom paint color, and his rear bumper is ISF. not true nebula gray
What the!! Your right it isn't even an, "F"...lol I was just browsing thru the pics and thought this is really the only Nebula that i would like... thanks for pointing that out. Although nice, i guess nebula is off my list...

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Geeze, you go thru cars more than me!
Your a close second, and soon you may pass me up...

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
I am sure you will be plenty happy with the new car, but if you are like me, you will still miss the M for what it is.

Kevin
Yes i guess there will always be some things...But necesarrily on the New M'ssss...

Last edited by BMWM2ISF; 02-24-12 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-24-12, 02:25 PM
mcauley
Driver

i have had 3 m3 and i way prefer the is-F it is just better at everything in everyday life.
Old 02-24-12, 03:39 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good comments, quite interesting to read for sure....

E46 m3 is a true driver's car (owned one for 7 years and loved every minute)

E90 m3 (still a great car and one I'm actually considering right now after I sold my IS-F) I love the lines of the M3 and it just looks more aggressive overall. I have to admit the coupe looks 10x better but I need 4-doors for the kids these days.

IS-F is an awesome ride - in my 2+ years of ownership, it has NEVER had one problem! I actually had to find a reason just to go visit the dealer service department as the car never had one issue. Lexus reliability and awesome service probably is in a class by itself.

I just wish they would produce a GS-F so there is a car for owners who need more space!!!! grrrr

As for you crazy GTR owners, stop teasing us since that car really is not in the same class - yes it's a fast car but so is many other 2 seaters. Definitely not a competitor to the M3/IS-F/C63 for sure. I had the un-lucky stroke of luck to ride in the back seat of a GTR once, NEVER AGAIN!
Old 02-24-12, 04:35 PM
ItsanF
Driver

I know some of you have posted that the m3 pulls the ISF in ever gear but it doesnt..My buddy has one and he never pulls on me...In fact, its the opposite....Nevertheless, if you are looking for a coupe, the m3 is pretty sexy, I wont lie.. But id never take a 4 door m3 over an F. I have never lost to an m3, nuff said...
Old 02-24-12, 07:17 PM
cyster2007
Rookie

Audi TT-RS would more better than M3
Old 02-24-12, 07:24 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

Test drove a 08 M3 before I bought the 08 F. I love the look of the M3 and the reputation of it being such a drivers car. But what kept me away were a few things.

1. it was priced much higher than the 08 CPO IS-F I was also looking at. Same year same amount of miles.
2. the BMW dealer treated me like I was not a serious buyer. Saying they don't like to let people take the M vehicles on a test drive. Almost didn't get to test drive it because I was going to leave, but I got to drive it in the end.

After the drive I was not overly impressed. I guess I was expecting something more considering all the hype and BMW lovers / experts making so much of it. I left the dealership unimpressed and kinda let down.

I went to the Lexus dealer and took the test drive and the rest is history!

Quick Reply: Anyone Come from BMW M to ISF and never looked back?