IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Still drifting to the right

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 12:43 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Still drifting to the right

When I bought the car in October the car had the same drift to the right and I thought it was just an alignment issue. I just aligned the car a week ago and I still have the drift.

I've read people with these issues but I thought it was fixed for the 2010+. Is this a know issue for my year? If I take it to the dearer are they gonna give me beef for taking it to another shop for the alignment?
Also I have the 245/285 tire combo Continental's. I put those on a month ago

Here's the alignment sheet

Thx

Last edited by DCoolBeans; 02-15-12 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 12:49 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
When I bought the car in October the car had the same drift to the right and I thought it was just an alignment issue. I just aligned the car a week ago and I still have the drift.

I've read people with these issues but I thought it was fixed for the 2010+. Is this a know issue for my year? If I take it to the dearer are they gonna give me beef for taking it to another shop for the alignment? Also I have the 245/285 tire combo Continental's.

Thx

are your tires at proper pressure?? so your car goes to the right when you let go of the steering wheel? try driving on a flat surface, like a parking lot. road crown will cause a car to drift to the right. also, did the shop check your suspension before performing an alignment (very important step)?? the dealshiper wont care if you did the alignment somewhere else

Last edited by Denver; 02-15-12 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 12:52 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

36 psi on all 4 tires
Stock ride height/No suspension mods
Yes, the car wants to go to the right when I let go of the steering wheel
Old 02-15-12, 12:59 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

try finding a really flat surface to drive on and see if the car still pulls. if not, then its the road crown that is cause you to pull right. also, make sure your suspension components are in good shape and tires are evenly worn
Old 02-15-12, 01:16 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great timing! I was going to post a similar thread today. I bought my 2011 2 weeks ago and have 500 miles on it. I too notice it moves to the right when I take my hands off the steering wheel. I've tried it on many different road surfaces including left curves that bank slight to the left "/". On a left curve, it seems to want to move straight and when the bank goes back to straight, it fades off to the right again. I'm stumped considering I only have 500 miles on the car.
Old 02-15-12, 08:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Swap the fronts to rule out tire conicity - if it still pulls right with the fronts swapped, then the problem is somewhere else. Measure the rear tires to be sure they are the same diameter - if they're not, the car will want to turn toward the smaller diameter tire - we do this intentionally on circle track cars to help them turn left.
Old 02-15-12, 08:37 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

The only thing that got rid of my drift to the right was getting my front subframe correctly aligned. It seems that is still a issue with the 2011 and 2012 IS-F's.
Old 02-15-12, 08:59 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans

I've read people with these issues but I thought it was fixed for the 2010+. Is this a know issue for my year? If I take it to the dearer are they gonna give me beef for taking it to another shop for the alignment?
Also I have the 245/285 tire combo Continental's. I put those on a month ago

Thx

when ur car had stock tires, was it drifting to the right?
Old 02-15-12, 09:14 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sucks to see you having this issue. Hope you get it figured out...
Old 02-16-12, 05:06 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Swap the fronts to rule out tire conicity - if it still pulls right with the fronts swapped, then the problem is somewhere else. Measure the rear tires to be sure they are the same diameter - if they're not, the car will want to turn toward the smaller diameter tire - we do this intentionally on circle track cars to help them turn left.
These tires have less than a month on the car. Do you want me to measure the rear widths even though they are the same tire dimensions?

Originally Posted by Supraman16
The only thing that got rid of my drift to the right was getting my front subframe correctly aligned. It seems that is still a issue with the 2011 and 2012 IS-F's.
Can any shop do this or do I need a specialty shop for this? How much was it to get the subframe aligned? Any tips to tell the guys or is it simple? thx

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
when ur car had stock tires, was it drifting to the right?
Yes. Did you want to see the before specs?

And to answer Denver, yes the car still pulls to the right at slow speeds in a parking lot. On the highway, the street, ect.
Old 02-16-12, 05:13 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the same drifting problem on mine. It's an '08. Nothing major, but I'd certainly prefer it to go straight!
Old 02-16-12, 05:32 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

^ yeah I feel ya. We all paid a nice chunk to have this car so why not.

Is this a warranty issue or ?
Old 02-16-12, 06:36 AM
Denver
Lead Lap

well if you suspension and tires are ok. find a shop that can realign your subframe. im pretty sure they would charge more than a hour to do it
Old 02-16-12, 07:24 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't think traditional alignment shops will adjust the subframe...most of them will strap your car to the alignment machine and align your wheels, not the subframe. You may have better luck at a frame shop. I got mine done at one of the best alignment shops in SoCal...West End Alignment...Darshana S...
Old 02-16-12, 08:04 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this problem when I bought new Continental DWS's for the front (replaced OEM Bridgestones). The dealer double checked the alignment and switched the wheels around too. It still pulled to the right. I ended up replacing the DWS's with Michelin PS2's and the pulling went away. Tirerack just swapped out the tires no questions asked. So lesson learned was to not have different tires on the front than the back (all seasons up front/summer in the back). Are your Continentals all the same?

Quick Reply: Still drifting to the right