My New Rear Section Exhaust - Club Lexus Forums


My New Rear Section Exhaust

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-12, 10:07 PM   #1
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
flowrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,216
Default My New Rear Section Exhaust

Changed the rear section of my exhaust last week. I had a full dual custom before, but the rear had crush bend pipes. The new rear section is Stainless Steel Mandrel Bends and I now have two inlets into the stock mufflers. Have a look and listen.

http://youtu.be/stqr-gE06TM

Lou
Attached Thumbnails
My New Rear Section Exhaust-louisf3.jpg   My New Rear Section Exhaust-exhaust5s.jpg   My New Rear Section Exhaust-exhaust7s.jpg   My New Rear Section Exhaust-exhaust8s.jpg  
flowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 10:45 PM   #2
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion
 
DCoolBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 1,836
Default

Wouldn't have been easier to just weld on some magnaflows? Seems you did this the hard way...imo
DCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 11:23 PM   #3
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Under an IS F since 2008
Posts: 12,081
Default

Nice Lou..!!

Congrats on being the first on letting us see "inside" the OEM muffler.

Just a heads up that the OEM mufflers have direction flow chambers.. So the inlet exhaust gases flow towards the front section, which then flows back through the perforated holes in each chamber and then ultimately flows out of the two smaller cylinder tubes that finally Exit out..
As shown in the cut out window of your muffler..







~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-14-12 at 12:23 AM.
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 11:27 PM   #4
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (10)
 
ShadowISF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal.
Posts: 2,022
Default

Sounds good!
ShadowISF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 05:50 AM   #5
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
flowrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCoolBeans View Post
Wouldn't have been easier to just weld on some magnaflows? Seems you did this the hard way...imo
That was an option, but after cutting the stock muffler open, and seeing that it was well designed, we decided that continued use of it was a good thing. My goal was more performance with quietness in the cabin and that has been achieved. IMO, I made the right choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Nice Lou..!!

Congrats on being the first on letting us see "inside" the OEM muffler.

Just a heads up that the OEM mufflers have direction flow chambers.. So the inlet exhaust gases flow towards the front section, which then flows back through the perforated holes in each chamber and then ultimately flows out of the two smaller cylinder tubes that finally Exit out..
As shown in the cut out window of your muffler..


~ Joe Z
Thanks Joe. We had that drawing of the muffler before starting on this project. We decided that the secondary 1.75" pipe should go to the out side tube because it appears using that tube would avoid two of the reverse paths under full acceleration and still be able to enjoy near stock sound levels. I believe we achieved that goal.

Lou
flowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 06:38 AM   #6
caymandive
11 Second Club
iTrader: (2)
 
caymandive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: N.Va
Posts: 3,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrideraz View Post
That was an option, but after cutting the stock muffler open, and seeing that it was well designed, we decided that continued use of it was a good thing. My goal was more performance with quietness in the cabin and that has been achieved. IMO, I made the right choice.
Lou,

I'm assuming you're going to go dyno the car again? I know it's been a while and your results won't accurately reflect any gains if any, but if the numbers are no worse or slightly better then i'd say it was a good decision for you.
caymandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 09:33 AM   #7
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Under an IS F since 2008
Posts: 12,081
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrideraz View Post

Thanks Joe. We had that drawing of the muffler before starting on this project. We decided that the secondary 1.75" pipe should go to the out side tube because it appears using that tube would avoid two of the reverse paths under full acceleration and still be able to enjoy near stock sound levels. I believe we achieved that goal.

Lou
Great to see & hear that you planned ahead..!!

~ Joe Z
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 03:50 PM   #8
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
flowrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymandive View Post
Lou,

I'm assuming you're going to go dyno the car again? I know it's been a while and your results won't accurately reflect any gains if any, but if the numbers are no worse or slightly better then i'd say it was a good decision for you.
Yep, that is the plan


Lou
flowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-12, 08:14 AM   #9
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
flowrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,216
Default

Ran new Dynos last week with my new rear and modified mufflers. The results are almost a year apart, so really can't compare, but a good baseline in my mind.

Blue - Stock Exhaust Manifolds and Cats, Modified custom dual exhaust with glass pack resonators, X pipe and stock mufflers, Takeda Intake

Red - As above with PPE Headers and Magnaflow HiFlow Cats

Green - As above with new mandrel bent rear section and dual inlets into stock mufflers

I'm happy with the results, although I was looking for at least 390HP Looks like the improvements come mostly at the top end.

I brought a friend up with me who also has an '08 F. He has PPE headers, no cats, a JoeZ exhaust and an Injen Intake. He had a run of 399+HP with smoothing set to 5. His other two runs were less spectacular because he was running lean and the electronics were retarding his timing.

Edit: To add new Graph for Friend's car compared to mine. He seems to be breathing better at the top end, above 5500 RPM.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails
My New Rear Section Exhaust-lousdynos-1s.jpg   My New Rear Section Exhaust-louvsjose2-1s.jpg  

Last edited by flowrider; 03-12-12 at 04:21 PM.
flowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 04:02 PM   #10
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
flowrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,216
Default

Edit to add new Graphs.

Lou
flowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 05:13 PM   #11
caymandive
11 Second Club
iTrader: (2)
 
caymandive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: N.Va
Posts: 3,995
Default

Lou, the graphs look good and my guess is the cats on your car resulted in the top end power difference and your slight advantage in the low to mid-range. You both have similar intakes, but I believe the difference between them can't be ruled out either.

I wonder how a stock intake would have changed things? I did back-to-back 400+whp runs with the stock intake and at 399whp for the other IS-F it may be something to consider if trying to reach the 400's. This car with headers and full catless exhaust seems to do very well this way.

Last edited by caymandive; 03-12-12 at 05:27 PM.
caymandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 07:13 PM   #12
Ninja10r
Driver
 
Ninja10r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: DMV
Posts: 110
Default

Very interesting,would love to hear how your F sounds
Ninja10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 07:18 PM   #13
Ninja10r
Driver
 
Ninja10r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: DMV
Posts: 110
Default

May have to go back to stock intake my self getting, a rattle from my air box area.
Ninja10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 08:56 PM   #14
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
flowrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja10r View Post
Very interesting,would love to hear how your F sounds
Go to the first post - There's a link right under the text above the pics.

Lou
flowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 11:10 PM   #15
jleonard71
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 470
Default

Does a setup like this end up costing less than a full exhaust system such as the Joe-Z or ISS Forged?
jleonard71 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exhaust issues FsportJ Performance 4 02-02-16 09:08 PM
Well lets see how this quick exhaust fix holds up. Slvr surfr LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) 10 12-21-13 11:30 AM
AL FS: IS-F Borla Exhaust Used Very Little ISF Kramer 2Gen IS250 / IS350 / IS-F Classifieds (06-13) 10 10-11-12 05:08 PM
IL F/S: Custom True Dual Exaust (full set up) passnu2 3Gen GS460 / 450H / 430 / 350 / 300 Classifieds (06-12) 1 05-15-10 03:41 PM
Sneak preview, ISF TI exhaust FIGS IS F (2008-2014) 72 01-15-10 08:05 PM


Tags
05, 2008, amazon, bend, borla, chevy, club, cutout, electric, exhaust, isf, lexus, rear, section, silverado, stock

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:19 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved