IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model
View Poll Results: 2010 Lexus ISF vs. 2010 Cadillac CTS-V
2010 Lexus ISF
82.11%
2010 Cadillac CTS-V
17.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

2010 Lexus ISF vs. 2010 Cadillac CTS-V...Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 11:56 AM
Mickeytl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Lexus ISF vs. 2010 Cadillac CTS-V...Opinion?

I'm in the market for a high performance luxury sedan...pretty much a stock 12 second car as well. These are my top two picks and not quite sure which one to buy. Both are going for the same price too. Probably will be spending up to $5k for engine mods and aftermarket wheels...mostly bolt-on parts.

I was 90% leaning towards the F until I saw the V cruising on the streets. So it mixed up my decision.

What is your opinion of these two cars? Which would be more reliable and better quality? Maintenace cost? Which one would you choose as your daily driver? Let me know...later.
Old 02-09-12, 12:10 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V coupe sexier. Ctsv in general was built not so good and rattles just check all the problems over on the v forums.
As a daily driver I'd choose F
Old 02-09-12, 12:11 PM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CTS-V= 500hp monster with magnetic suspension which is very tunable and has many aftermarket parts (we make an exhaust for it as well ) or the IS-F with 400hp and unfortunately an "unbreakable" ECU with few mods? Overall Lexus would be my first jump due to quality and overall balance of the car. The V although a beast on and off the track with minor bolt ons is an American car that will depreciate quickly and if its rep follows so will the electronics on the car as they're not known for holding up too well with time. Plus when it comes to aesthetics of the car. Wheels, body kits, suspension ............looks way better on the F than on the V. The V is more of a mono-block car since the frame is so small and don't allow for anything bigger then 2" lips on the rear while the F can get some decent 3.5" lips.

Just my .02 cents
Old 02-09-12, 12:15 PM
LBmtb
Driver

I just went through this a couple months ago. I went with the F because I liked it more as an overall package and because I had a soft spot for it (had an IS350 a couple cars ago). The V will definitely be the faster of the two and is very easy to mod to get even more power. The F gets the nod on reliability, gas mileage, and luxury (imo). A friend of a friend recently picked up a new CTSV wagon and it's an awesome car.
Old 02-09-12, 12:21 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I agree with the two solid posts above. Don't forget, this is an ISF forum lol. Voted
Old 02-09-12, 12:24 PM
exdakine
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the IS-F.. it will not depreciate like the caddy will. its amazing how much american cars depreciate over a few years.
Old 02-09-12, 01:08 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I had this same dilema. Just bought my IS-F 4 days ago. I like the looks much better on the F, but I wish it had the power of the V. At the end of the day, I chose the F, because of gas mileage, looks, and reliability as it's my dd. The F might not be able to outrun everything on the street, but for me I thought it was a better overall car. I even cross shopped M3's and C63's. This is my 4th Lexus. I've had 2 Escalade's and 3 BMW's and can vouch for the Lexus reliability. No regrets thus far as I traded in a 2011 BMW 535i. Still miss my 600hp GT-R though! Geeze, I have a car fetish.....all these cars and I'm still in my 30's! Don't think my folks have gone thru this many in their lifetime!
Old 02-09-12, 01:22 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

It's going to be tough to get CTS-V votes on a Lexus forum. But you can't go wrong with either car IMO. The biggest decider is probably the transmission you want.
Old 02-09-12, 01:39 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Interior wise- I give Lexus the nod. Luxury is not sacrificed on the F, whereas I do feel Cadillac could have provided more for the money. Exterior- both have distinct lines, and both are meant to be lookers on the road. Reliability would be my sole concern with these type of vehicles. You can push them hard, but which one will last significantly longer? I obviously chose one that probably won't need much repairing. Granted, it might not have tuning capabilities, but I'll sleep better knowing my car is in my garage instead of the shop's. That V is hard to challenge though- brute power right there! It just has so many problems for my choosing. But test drive both to get a feel, and that should make your decision a lot easier.
Old 02-09-12, 01:48 PM
dano9258
Driver

Get the ISF. The V will not be reliable, period! The V does have a ton of power behind it and is fast, but I think the design is a bit outdated too. Someone at my work has one and when I park next to it, it just makes me feel good that I picked the ISF.
Old 02-09-12, 01:55 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

After owning and daily driving a 2008 ISF for over 2 years/40k miles later, and having test driven a 2010 CTS-V (used, coupe, auto trans,) it's a difficult decision.

CTS-V pros:
- Noticeably more power. From a standstill and also in 80mph+ full throttle hwy acceleration.
- Handling is also noticeable better.
- High speed stability (100mph+) is better than the ISF.
- Interior feels "tighter" than the ISF. Meaning the majority of plastic parts/panels feel more solid/quality. Some parts, not so much.

ISF pros:
- Reliability is Toyota like. Granted a few items did require replacement (NAV screen, water pump) but they were warrantied.
- Lexus dealerships are top notch. ie. No cost actual Lexus loaner cars.
- Maintenance costs are not outrageous. Only high cost items are brakes pads/rotors and tires.
- Average tank lifetime mpg is 20.1. CTS-V is 12-14mpg average.
- No gas guzzler tax.

Just my opinion, but if you are into spirited driving 80% of the time on public roads, the CTS-V will be a better choice. If you are into a more practical, slightly quicker than normal IS350, 335i's sedans, the ISF. I have been bested by Mustang 5.0's, Pontiac GTO's, Camaro SS, Merc S/C63, 335i's, and Evo's (most unknown mods, but modded for sure.)

As for resale values, the 556hp CTS-V seems to hold a better value over a same model year ISF. Granted the CTS-V costs a little more when comparing MSRP, but the % of depreciation is less than the ISF.

Tough choice though, I was debating on the same thing a few months back (trade in the 08 ISF for a 2010 CTS-V)..... at the end of the day, both are enjoyable in their own ways. Practicality won with keeping the ISF because of daily driven and 26mpg+ hwy.)
Old 02-09-12, 02:02 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Heck, you've experienced the F...try something new. I always do.

Edit: Nevermind...thought last post was the OP.
Old 02-09-12, 02:29 PM
Kingkrs
Pole Position

I too thought about getting a CTS-V. What kept me away was what I read and seen on the CTS-V forums. When I compared the problems and issues that were presented on their message boards to what I see here... it was an easy decision.

I still like the look of the V though.
Old 02-09-12, 05:48 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hold on getting the cadu V.

Many are reporting rear whining, bad struts, defect sun roof clips, batteries going dead, and wheel hop.

The F is a superior choice that will hold up over time in both reliability and value.

2012 ISF Obsidian
Rural, PA
Old 02-09-12, 05:55 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a lil bias but i agree the isf is nice we are talking too different classes. ot like the coupe of the v but the sedan is a beast!! i think if it was my dd it would be isF second car the V.

Quick Reply: 2010 Lexus ISF vs. 2010 Cadillac CTS-V...Opinion?