IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Talk me out of a Panamera

Old 02-01-12, 06:48 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Talk me out of a Panamera

Hi everyone,

As you may have guessed from the title, I am in the market for a new or lightly used car for my daily 30-mile each way, mostly freeway commute to and from work. After driving the M3, S4n and the ISF, the IS was a clear leader as the S4 just didn't feel that refined and the M3 was more of a sports car rather than a tourer. Fast forward to last weekend when I got a chance to drive a 2011 v6 and a 2010 v8 Panamera. Both cars were simply amazing from the moment you get in. The ride is supperb, suspension is soft enough for daily use yet the car corners practically flat, the steering is very direct and extremely responsive, and the interior is simply amazing (oh and I love the way the car looks, so that's definitely no reason to discount the car). The only real difference between the cars was that the v6 did feel a little less on power once you're at speed, but it stilll had a decent amount of get up and go down low. The v8 on the other hand was pretty much on par with the ISF. And so I am stuck trying to decide if I should look past the higher price tag for the Panamera and go for it. In the end a lightly used model is not too far off from a brand new ISF. And yet for such small price difference you get what looks to be a lot more of a car.

Any opinions?
Old 02-01-12, 07:31 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Why not it seems like you made up your mind, might as well add P cars to your previous rides. If you get Panamera go for V8 and your are right the interior is just beautiful. I personally would keep F and go for 911 Carrera S or 911 GTS
Old 02-01-12, 07:51 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Total ownership cost of the IS-F will be much lower than the Panamera. So if youre Mr. Money bags, i'd go with the Panamera.

~Dv8
Old 02-01-12, 08:05 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both are sweet cars, but totally different classes. You should check out the other full sized sports sedans if you really like the Panamera, as well as the midsized sedans: E63, CLS63, S63, 760i, and the new M5 should be around this summer.
Old 02-01-12, 08:29 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone have any real world numbers associated with ownership cost for a warrantied car like the Panamera. I can't imagine it would differ that greatly given that most of the things would be under warranty.

Different classes of cars? Yes. But if any of you drive the Panamera you'll realize what I mean when I say it shrinks around you and starts to feel like a 2 seater sports car.

As for the Mercs, they just don't do it for me. High depriciation and just not sold on them. The new M5 looks good but it will be $$$.
Old 02-01-12, 08:46 AM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The panamera is without a doubt the ugliest porche ever made. Compared to the F it looks almost comical. A station wagon porche, oh goodie....
Old 02-01-12, 08:57 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I've had the "Porsche" experience, no thanks. Crappy customer service, EXPENSIVE parts and service costs. After the experience with my 996 I will never own another Porsche product (or VAG product for that matter). Reliability comes no where near that of the Lexus.
Old 02-01-12, 08:58 AM
J2K
Pole Position

I've driven Panameras on several occasions when my POS Cayenne S was back at the dealership for warranty work. The interior comfort and feel of the Panamera is pretty damn nice and the ride was extremely comfortable. BUT, the base model and the Panamera S both felt very underwhelming in terms of power and acceleration. I had to mash the pedal to get either model to move (and yes, I was in Sport mode).
Old 02-01-12, 09:05 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Go for it, I wanted to get one but could not and still cannot afford one.
Old 02-01-12, 09:18 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I'm not a fan of the car's rear, but if YOU like it... that's what matters! I do have to agree about the interior... AMAZING!!!! Can't offer any opinion on the cost of ownership, etc...
Old 02-01-12, 09:20 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

reason? its horrible looking
Old 02-01-12, 09:29 AM
caco666
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I say get the Panamera if you have the cash for it and don't mind having to shell out some extra cash for the occasional repairs. Porsche makes amazing vehicles that are a joy to drive if you can afford them.

As for the ISF, it's an amazing value from a company known for its reliability. It will cost you less than the Panamera in the long run, so if cost is a concern then the ISF is a great choice.
Old 02-01-12, 09:35 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I wasn't getting the GTS Panamera then i'd feel unfulfilled every time I saw one.
When I bought the F I wanted the luxury of Lexus and the top of the line version of the IS.

Your also comparing a fullsize to a mid sedan. The fullsize will always be nicer in the interior and comfort. More room more comfort

Long term ownership, I'd def go with Lexus.
Old 02-01-12, 09:52 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I would rather talk you into buying a turbo model Panamera.
Old 02-01-12, 10:01 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Well a basic 2012 Panamera S (V8) will set you back around $90K MSRP

A basic 2012 Lexus IS-F will set you back around $66K MSRP

You will get more for your money with the IS-F.. A better factory backed Power Train warranty and in the end better reliability..

If money is no object then you end up buying a "Porsche" as your daily driver..

Styling, Weight & Power wise, I think the IS-F edges out the Panamera S easily.

~ Joe Z

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Talk me out of a Panamera