Print Wikipost

Problems Pairing Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-12, 11:35 PM
jnegron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems Pairing Bluetooth

I just bought a 2010 Lexus IS without navi, but I'm having problems pairing my bluetooth it keeps saying unsuccessful pairing any suggestions?
Old 01-07-12, 12:38 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With my '08, some phones would (Nokia, Motorola) pair and others (Sony) would not. Try a few different pairing codes, if possible, and make sure your phone has the latest version of software/firmware installed on it. Possibly try a friend's phone of a different manufacturer to check out what I found with my '08 early on.
Old 01-07-12, 03:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

BLUETOOTH TROUBLESHOOTING:

Step one from the car:

How to set-up Bluetooth; Without Navigation:
-Hit the push to talk switch
-Say “Phone set-up”
-Say “pair phone”
-Say “(your name) phone”
-Say “Confirm”
-Car is ready to pair

How to set-up Bluetooth; With Navigation:
From the car:
- Car on/acc mode
- Info
- Telephone
- Settings
- Register phone
- it'll bring up a menu that has a passkey and looks like it's ready to pair
- Pair

**Just to double check that the phone is paired to the car, from info-telephone-settings-select phone. The phone should be in the system now with a little "BT" symbol next to it.

Step two from the phone:
We’ll use an iPhone4 for ex. Go to
- Settings
- General
- Bluetooth
- make sure bluetooth is on (slide on/off)
- Below that is "Devices" or "search device"
- On the phone, select the "hands-free" 2009 below or “Car Multi Media” 2010+ under search device. It should begin paring and prompt you for the passkey. Enter it and select "pair". It may say it's paired but not connected. If this is the case, then select "hands-free" one more time.
________
Other Troubleshoots:

UPDATE YOUR SMARTPHONES:
Make sure your smartphones are turned off every now and then. They are just like a computer and need to be updated. Sometimes if a phone misses an update, the result is the Bluetooth connection unpairing with the car.

With BlackBerry’s, the most common troubleshoot is to remove the battery from the phone, blow on it and turn the phone back on. Yes it’s a PITA because BB takes forever to load, but it typically works. If this doesn't work either, you can try repairing the phone:

MY PHONE HAS BEEN PAIRED BUT NOT WORKING:
If the phone is not working (but already paired), a common troubleshoot is the bluetooth on the phone could be turned off (happens on mine from time to time). Set the phone to discoverable mode and make sure the bluetooth is set to "on". You should see the bluetooth symbol somewhere on the phones top banner.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 01-07-12 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-07-12, 03:57 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jnegron
I just bought a 2010 Lexus IS without navi, but I'm having problems pairing my bluetooth it keeps saying unsuccessful pairing any suggestions?
wat phone are u using...if u are using an android phone and are using custom roms. make sure the rom has a working bluetooth.
Old 01-19-12, 02:26 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

In my '11 WRX I had loads of trouble getting my Windows phone (LG Quantum) to connect to BT. I just had to keep pushing the "connect" button on my phone over and over until it worked (literally like 20 times). And lots of other owners had issues with their iPhones.

But then when I switched to my old Blackberry (Torch) the HU and phone would sync on their own with no fuss at all.

In my ISF the same Blackberry syncs on it's own instantly as well.

So based on my experiences I now always blame the phone. Maybe try getting a buddy with a different phone to sync to see if that works. It'll at least rule out a defective HU.
Old 01-19-12, 05:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Every once in awhile the car gets confused and you'll need to pair again. Also, if you're concerned about security at all, change the passkey and the device naming. The encryption is based on the passkey, so if you use the default settings, anyone can try to pair with your device using the (well publicized) defaults.
Old 02-27-12, 05:40 AM
gerenr
Driver School Candidate

I previously owned a Nokia 6131 and Blackberry 8020. Both would easily pair with my 2010 RX 350 Lexus equipped with Bluetooth to provide hands-free telephone service. Both would also easily pair with the Lexus Bluetooth Audio system and transmit music from phone media player to the automobile sound system.

Recently I "upgraded" to a Nokia C3-00 mobile phone. It will pair with the Lexus system to provide hands-free telephone service, but I cannot get the C3-00 to connect to the automobile Bluetooth Audio system to play music. The BT-Audio system of the automobile is seen by the phone, but they will not pair.

I have tried many times with no success. Anyone know if Nokia BT system has changed or become incompatible with Lexus?
Old 02-27-12, 09:31 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

I've never streamed music from my phone but in previous cars there was a seperate BT Audio mode (like Disc, FM, AUX, Input, etc.). Not sure how Lexus does this aspect though.

On a side note, I figured out my Windows Phone pairing issue. If I pair my phone to the car, but always just leave Bluetooth on, the phone/car always pair up immediately.

But if I turn off my Bluetooth when at work to save battery power, when I turn it back on it doesn't always pair with the car when I tell my phone to re-connect. I have to try several times via the phone and/or the fool-proof method is to go into the car Nav setting for "Connect" and they usually mate right away.

So I've just been leaving BT turned on and have had no connection issues since.
Old 02-27-12, 02:41 PM
mcauley
Driver

i have i iphone 4 but cannot get the phonebook to transfer
i can make and receive calls ok
Old 02-28-12, 07:48 PM
sudic3000
Driver School Candidate

Try to STAY on the PAIRING SCREEN when you are pairing your phone. This problem also bothered me before. Wish this helps!
Old 02-28-12, 08:08 PM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcauley
i have i iphone 4 but cannot get the phonebook to transfer
i can make and receive calls ok
I had the same problem... I had to use my andriod phone to transfer my phonebook to car. Then I just use the iphone afterwards since it stays stored on the car.
Old 02-28-12, 08:26 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ come over my house and get that done on my car already. Lol