IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF: True Cost to Own

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 07:36 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe I can give you some ballpark numbers to put it all in perspective...

1. Fuel
- Ranges anywhere from $50-$60 per full tank, 93 octane

2. Insurance
- Anywhere from $900 - $2.5k annually, depending on your age, driving record & location

3. Maintenance
- Oil change: $90-$150 depending on dealer
- Brake pads: $80 - $200 per set depending on brand & preference (daily driving vs heavy duty)
- Rotors: $80 - $350 per set depending on brand & preference
- Alignment: $120-$170 depending on dealer
- Tires: $850+ depending on type & width (performance, all-season, winter)

4. Repairs
- Some early 2008 model ISF's are notorious for drifting to the right, including mine. In my case it is a very small drift but it still annoys me... so the camber bracket installed will run me around $350. I'll take this minor problem over the German car problems ANY DAY. Again, this only affects 2008 models, they rectified this problem with the later models, as other owners have told me first-hand.

All the numbers above are subjective and vary. If you drive your car hard expect to fill up more often and go thru performance tires quicker, as well as servicing. The dealership loves to charge extra for say 20k, 25k and 30k service, when all you need is an oil change and some visual inspections... I prefer getting the oil change and inspecting the rest on my own, saves me a few $100.
Old 01-05-12, 08:11 AM
dano9258
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been averaging about 21mpg mostly highway. I was getting close to 24 in the summer. My insurance is $1100/6mo but I live in a big city with auto theft issues lol. As far as maintenance, I've had no costs thus far...knock on wood(5900 miles). I was told by the dealership that brakes and rotors every 20000 will cost $1200 and then about $1000 for tires
Old 01-19-12, 02:47 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

MPG for this car is pretty incredible if you ask me. I'm averaging 19mpg which I would consider a 50/50 city/hwy split. I drove mostly rural side streets where the speed limit is 60mph or so, but there are tons of lights. So I often accelerate swiftly but then just cruise. Tame trips on the freeway I'm around 28mpg.

Insurance for me for the past decade has always been about the same (350Z, two Evo 8's, '11 WRX were all nearly identical). It went up like $750/yr when I got the ISF. I'm married, clean record, multi-car discount.

Maintenance. Everything costs more than I would expect, but there's much less to have done less frequently compared to most other cars. So I honestly believe it evens out in the end if you factor in your time. Or if it does still tip towards being more expensive, you're paying for piece of mind.
Old 01-19-12, 10:48 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

here are my numbers for my 2008

1. MPG: 22-24 for mostly highway driving, but somewhat aggressive driving.
2. Insurance: middle aged guy in California with good driving record- $1300 per year
3. Maintenance: i change my own oil with synthetic and Toyota filters twice a year, so roughly about $100 per year. One air filter every other year. 26500 mi so far and brakes are still good even with aggressive driving. I changed rear tires twice and front tires once already though. ~ $400-450 per tire including installation depending on what kind of tires you purchase and place of installation. Tires and brakes are probably the most expensive maintenance items.

4. Repair- none. intermittent squeaks from driver side dash, but i can live with that.

Overall, this car does not cost me much more than my honda s2000 in terms of operating cost.
Old 02-02-12, 09:24 AM
JLMTX83
Driver School Candidate

It's all relative on how you plan on driving it. I have 25k, overall fuel avg is under 15 and im on two sets of brakes and 4 sets of tires. For a DD that is track worthy all in all its a fair price to pay for the fun.
Old 02-02-12, 08:15 PM
devincl
Driver School Candidate

What is your opinion on my situation and the costs involved:

I am looking at getting a used 08 ISF with under 50k miles... Probably this summer

- I have a 90-mile round trip to work each day
- 90% of driving will be highway miles. Cruising at 60-70 mph
- I will put over 20k miles on the car each year
- Will not track the car

1. Do you get good enough MPG on highway commutes to warrant driving 90 miles a day in an ISF?
2. After 3 years I will likely have over 100k miles on the car? Is that an issue?
3. Are the maintenance costs too high to put that many miles on the car?
4. Can cheap tires/brakes be put on the car simply for daily driving?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-12, 09:25 PM
GenuineKid
Driver

Originally Posted by devincl

I am looking at getting a used 08 ISF with under 50k miles... Probably this summer

- Will not track the car

1. Do you get good enough MPG on highway commutes to warrant driving 90 miles a day in an ISF?
2. After 3 years I will likely have over 100k miles on the car? Is that an issue?

Thanks!
i can give you some insight. I have a 2008 ISF and its my DD.

I DD my car 50-145 miles a day. i commute on the highway to work (13miles) and its all heavy stop n go traffic with hills. Then rest of the miles are all local street, with some minor to heavy traffic. I get about 16-18 mpg at best, and sometimes 14-15 if i decide to drive on M and sport.

So far i drove 18k miles in about 5-6 months. My stock ps tires are worn out, in the market to purchase a full new set ~1100$. Brakes i had bad squeak so its been replaced under warranty about 3k miles ago with rotors.

I spend about $80- $100 on fuel / week avg. Sometimes less.

1. If your commute has no traffic and no hills/mountains your will avg 22+ mph easily on the highway.
2. Lexus is known for its reliability. 100k+ miles will be fine w/o a doubt.
3. If you can do your own oil change, it will save u about $50 in labor from dealers etc. Main items are brakes + tires.
4. Cheap tires/brakes are up to you. (If you crash cause of your brakes... or if you skid cause of your tires.. all on you, don't blame the car) just my .02

Good luck on the purchase. hopefully this will help you.
Old 02-03-12, 12:20 AM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by devincl

- Will not track the car

Thanks!
It all depends on how much you are willing to spend for your commute. An ISF is not a cost effective mode of transportation considering the high initial cost, maintainence, and depreciation. you can put cheap tires, but what is the point of driving an ISF if you have cheap brake and tires? And what is the point of cruising an ISF at 60-70% miles for 90 miles per day?
Old 02-03-12, 01:00 AM
Mickeytl
Driver School Candidate

Do you guys just buy the oem brake pads and rotors? Or do you go with the aftermarket setup?
Old 02-03-12, 10:51 AM
GenuineKid
Driver

Originally Posted by Mickeytl
Do you guys just buy the oem brake pads and rotors? Or do you go with the aftermarket setup?
oem pads and rotors cost $$$ so people tend to look for other manufacturers which performs the same or even better at a lower cost. Sometimes perform better, but more money too. It all depends on what u want and how much $$ u have to spend.
Old 02-07-12, 07:20 PM
g35cali
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread makes me feel better about my purchase and not going with m3 instead
Old 02-08-12, 05:14 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I get about 22-26 highway up and down the 101, in the city it's pretty bad like 16-18 average... The average I have so far is like 17. I do get on it, but I'm not that bad and pretty mindful about mileage, but SF hills kill gas mileage.

As for insurance I have some retarded amount like 2300 a year with state farm.
Old 02-08-12, 03:12 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 77 Posts

This is the EXACT thread I was looking for. I just purchased a used 08 ISF yesterday and was tossing and turning last night wondering if this car was a right decision for me.

Things I've noticed so far; you have to pay to play! I'm 29, have a house, married with a newborn and blessed that my wife let me get this car. BUT, this car is a gas guzzler (especially if you're a commuter like I am). I commute 50 miles round trip in stop and go traffic on the busiest highway in the SF bay area. I'm going to clock my next tank and see how I do in comparison to the rest of you. Hoping its over 20 though!

Our insurance doubled with this car, meaning we are now paying $2800 via AAA for three cars between my wife and I (06 M35, 99 chevy cavalier -beater-, and now the 08 ISF). Vehicle theft is heavy in my area as I already have my fully built Integra GSR stolen from me a few years back.

Maintenance - I bought the car with 75k miles on her and have been researching the "schedule maintenance" lexus calls for. A lot of it just sounds like inspections of belts, hoses, gaskets, brake pads, etc and the only maintenance that gets done is topping off the fluids and a oil change. Speaking oil changes, can any body direct me to a link with a DIY on how to change the oil on this car? I haven't been underneath yet, but I prefer to do my own maintenance like a lot of you.

BTW - Sorry for the thread jack if I did
Old 02-08-12, 04:06 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Took less than 20 seconds to SEARCH this

1. Fuel: 15-17 city, 26-28mpg on my last road trip hwy

2. Insurance: $950 every 6 months

3 & 4 have been answered perfectly already

Last edited by DCoolBeans; 02-08-12 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 04:29 PM
js619858
Pole Position

I avg 18 MPG and don't feel the car cost is that much different from any car really. I pay around $900 a year for my 03 IS300 and 08 ISF and I'M 27 with a 2-point speeding ticket which may be off my record since I got it in 2004.

If you live in CA and want a good cheap insurance get Wawanesa. Reason they are low is because they only accept good drivers and are strict on who can drive your car.

Quick Reply: ISF: True Cost to Own