IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is it worth it to get car repaired at the dealer?

Old 12-13-11, 12:58 PM
NoweISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth it to get car repaired at the dealer?

Hey guys!

Last month, somebody bumped into my driver's side door. I called the insurance and since it's a hit and run, I don't have to pay my deductible to get my car repaired.

I've got the repairs estimated and they have to replace the whole door panel and repaint the whole area.

The thing is that my insurance isn't paying enough to cover Lexus's labor fees (110$/h versus insurance willing to pay 45$/h) , so basically, I'd have to pay 350$ from my pocket to get it fixed by my dealership.

If i'm going to the garages my insurance company wants me to go, I'll have nothing to pay from my own pockets.

The dealer tells me that they do a better job, that they put 3 layers of paint and theyll give a warranty on the job done.

So my question is should I pay more to get the repairs done at the dealership or are they just trying to bull**** me that they'll do a better job? I'm pretty sure the garage that my insurance company is sending me to is doing a good job also...
Old 12-13-11, 01:05 PM
madastep
Pole Position

if your insurance company is paying for it, ask the insurance company, they have their own garages for a reason, because they lifetime guarantee (sp) their work (the insurance company) . At least the bigger insurance companies do.
I have USAA and they have always lifetimed everything to the point they bought me a new rim on the ISF becuase matching the wheel seemed impossible.
Just talk to insurance company and/or the body shop they send you too, both should be able to tell you if the insurance company backs the repairs they do.
and since your using your own door, you don't have to worry about second hand parts, just a paint job.
Old 12-13-11, 01:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I used USAA's recommended facility in Sacramento for my Supra. They were great and did exceptional work.

$110 an hour for bodywork is unheard of. Find out who paints the exotics in your area, let them know you want their best work, and they'll get it very right. I would not pay the dealership price - in all likelihood they're subcontracting to a shop anyway. That labor cost is just $45 an hour with their markup.
Old 12-13-11, 01:35 PM
exdakine
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got my car back from Lexus dealer here in the bay area " Lexus Of Stevens Creek Service"

Went in for new from tires and some how my door got scratched and they were not able to buff it out since it was deep.

They gave me a loaner vehicle and had my car done in 4 days. I cannot tell they resprayed at all they did a very good job. And it comes backed with lifetime warranty.

Lexus always seems to take really good care of their customers.

They do subcontract there work though.... Getting it done at the dealership just allows you not to deal with anyone else but the dealer.. and they keep everything filed with your VIN #
Old 12-13-11, 01:48 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

There is no reason to think that the dealer will do better work than a good repair shop. The job is almost all labor so skill is involved. Check out a few shops, ask to see examples of their previous work, check the shop to see how clean and orderly it is. I usually stick with list my insurance recommends to I never have to be the middleman if something goes wrong or there is a "go-back" on the work.

I too have had great work done by shops I was referred to by USAA.
Old 12-13-11, 03:09 PM
NoweISF
Driver School Candidate

Thanks,

I think i'll start searching for a good body shop within the ones that my insurance company reffered me too. They do give me lifetime warranty on the work done also.
Old 12-13-11, 07:26 PM
ggzoa
Driver School Candidate

Default Beware of "industry standard" repairs

My F was sideswiped by some dip***** 2 months ago. I have USAA insurance and decided to take it to the preferred repair shop. They needed to re-skin both passenger doors amongst a few other things. When the shop called and said they were done, I was excited to go pick up my vehicle. I arrived and when I checked the inside of the doors, where the skin overlaps, they used caulk instead of the factory tape to conceal the seams. What is funnier, it looked as if they let a six year old do the work. I freaked when I saw this crap and was given the "this is industry standard, we can't get the tape" excuse. I then proceeded to find about 10 other issues wrong, ie door gaps bad, hood and fender gaps bad, crappy paint and the list went on. Long story short, I told them that there was no way in hell I was accepting my vehicle until it mirrored the drivers side. I took them 5 weeks and 3 visits from me, continuing to show them what they missed til they got it correct.

Anyway, just be careful and look very carefully at all the work that has to be done, especially the inside of the doors if they have to re-skin.
Old 12-14-11, 05:42 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ggzoa
My F was sideswiped by some dip***** 2 months ago. I have USAA insurance and decided to take it to the preferred repair shop. They needed to re-skin both passenger doors amongst a few other things. When the shop called and said they were done, I was excited to go pick up my vehicle. I arrived and when I checked the inside of the doors, where the skin overlaps, they used caulk instead of the factory tape to conceal the seams. What is funnier, it looked as if they let a six year old do the work. I freaked when I saw this crap and was given the "this is industry standard, we can't get the tape" excuse. I then proceeded to find about 10 other issues wrong, ie door gaps bad, hood and fender gaps bad, crappy paint and the list went on. Long story short, I told them that there was no way in hell I was accepting my vehicle until it mirrored the drivers side. I took them 5 weeks and 3 visits from me, continuing to show them what they missed til they got it correct.

Anyway, just be careful and look very carefully at all the work that has to be done, especially the inside of the doors if they have to re-skin.

Way to stand up! being in the automotive industry, I can't even begin to tell you how many horrible auto body repair jobs I see on a daily basis. I also can't stress enough how important it is to do research on the shop you are going to use and find vehicles that they have done, and make sure the repairs are up to YOUR standards! I just had a customer in yesterday whom had their Kia SUV damaged in a collision The body shop in the area that is listed as one of the "prefered shops" by Travelers, State Farm, and Geico and is also claimed to be one of the "Top 100 Body shops" in the United Stated preformed the work. The vehicle was to take two weeks, it ended up taking two months due to "parts issues and further damage", that is understandable, as the body shop has NO control over parts availability. However when we inspected the vehicle post collision, there were fasteners missing, some just started in the holes, parts which were NOT Original Equipment parts (then what the hell was the 6 week delay for if NOT for the the wait time on OE parts!) Fenders not fit correctly! paint work akin to a auto body training class performance, there were multiple fish eyes in the paint, loads of dirt in the paint and runs on the bottom of the doors and fenders! The paint work had zero consistency in the finish, and lots of burn marks from over buffing and under buffing of the wet sanding of the clear coat. This all being said so that you don't simply chose a shop recommended by your insurance company, these shops are often chosen by the insurance carrier due to their agreement too work at a reduced rate in exchange for receiving all referrals in the area from the said company, it is NOT, I repeat, NOT due to their excellent body repairs and service! Before you agree to a shop ask for a list of shops and then simply check with your local chapter of the Better Business Bureau, an even typing them into Google and seeing what their reviews are on there can be quite helpful. For what it is worth, I have NEVER seen body repairs from a dealership that are even close to the quality one could get from a good independent body shop. Quality repairs take time and money, and I for one would gladly make up the difference of 10 or 15 dollars an hour if that ensures that the repairs are done to my specifications, however, there is no way in hell i would pay $100+ for body work, that simply is unheard of! Hope this helps.

Last edited by ming15237; 12-14-11 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-14-11, 07:37 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NoweISF
Hey guys!

Last month, somebody bumped into my driver's side door. I called the insurance and since it's a hit and run, I don't have to pay my deductible to get my car repaired.

I've got the repairs estimated and they have to replace the whole door panel and repaint the whole area.

The thing is that my insurance isn't paying enough to cover Lexus's labor fees (110$/h versus insurance willing to pay 45$/h) , so basically, I'd have to pay 350$ from my pocket to get it fixed by my dealership.

If i'm going to the garages my insurance company wants me to go, I'll have nothing to pay from my own pockets....
I don't know, but I'd be surprised if many, if any, Lexus dealers do their own body work but, rather, sublet it to a contractor. The rear bumper on my "F" was scratched by a driver who that that bumpers were just for guaging distances while parking. My insurance agent recommended a wholly-owned subsidiary, Sterling Autobody, of said insurance company and they did a really great job and did it very quickly. You can certainly get a good repair from other than a dealer. Mechanicals or electronics, on the other hand, are best dealt with by the dealer.
Old 12-14-11, 07:49 AM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I used USAA's recommended facility in Sacramento for my Supra. They were great and did exceptional work.

$110 an hour for bodywork is unheard of. Find out who paints the exotics in your area, let them know you want their best work, and they'll get it very right. I would not pay the dealership price - in all likelihood they're subcontracting to a shop anyway. That labor cost is just $45 an hour with their markup.
I agree completely, because that's exactly what I did. I take my car to a mechanic that I know and trust. Two doors down from him is a high performance shop that typically has about 2 million dollars in corvettes and ferrari's parked out front each day. They obviously know what they're doing. I asked if they would work on my Lexus and they said sure. These guys do amazing work and its cheaper than Lexus. They also take great pride in their work as their the owners of the shop. Some bodyshop guy at Lexus could care less if your paint matches exactly.....
Old 12-14-11, 08:22 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NoweISF
Hey guys!

If i'm going to the garages my insurance company wants me to go, I'll have nothing to pay from my own pockets.

The dealer tells me that they do a better job, that they put 3 layers of paint and theyll give a warranty on the job done.

So my question is should I pay more to get the repairs done at the dealership or are they just trying to bull**** me that they'll do a better job? I'm pretty sure the garage that my insurance company is sending me to is doing a good job also...
Sad to say I've had my share of body work done over my 40 years of driving. In most cases, I'd say go with the dealer. However, I've done both dealer and independant with mixed results. There were several ocassions I had to return my car to the dealer to re-do a botched job. The good thing is they will fix it up with less argument because they are the dealer.
I've used independants who did a fantastic job but a couple times I've had to go off on them to get it right. Dealers usually take double the time to complete the job and that should be factored in as well.
My best advise, visit the shops the insurance company recommends. Look around before you talk to anyone. Watch the techs. Don't say anything at first, just watch. If what you see makes you feel comfortable then go inside to "interview" the people who run the business. But watching the techs will tell you most of what you need to know. Look at some of the cars they completed.
I've never had a problem when I did it this way. When you ask about the procedure for returning unsatisfactory work, you'll know if that shop is okay to use.
Old 12-14-11, 08:53 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You will hear mixed results in here...so let me clear all this up for you....ITS NOT about taking the car to the dealer for body work or going independent.--its about your knowledge of body work or someone who knows what its supposed to look like or finding an honest-ish independent shop to do it for you--usually one that someone who knows what they are talking about can recommend to you , like the post above me says----ask about return policy, talk to owners etc.. AND HERES WHY-

FACT #1: the dealer will not be doing the work themselves-- they do not have body repair techs, spray booths or anything in house that will fix your car located AT THE DEALERSHIP. So they MUST outsource the work - and their personnel have little knowledge of great body work and painting. Usually dishonext dealers and shops want 2 count on your lack of knowledge to get over with ok or decent work

FACT#2: Lexus as a company does not warranty any body work done at a dealership so even if they mess up your car - there is little LEXUS can do for you as the body as far as repairs due to hits is NOT under LEXUS warranty - so there is no benefit in going with the dealer

FACT#3: Being that the dealer will outsource the work , you are getting it done just as if you found your own shop because either way a third party is completing the work.

FACT#4: If you do not know how good body work vs. ok body work vs. crap jobs are SUPPOSED to look- you WILL BE at a loss, because sometimes "decent" work can look "great" to you because you if you have little or limited knowledge or exposure to it.

Fact#5: Shiny paint is not a signal of good work....Look for and find out online maybe ,or ask around get pics or look at common things like - orange peel looking paint and clear coats, over spray, textures and small fibers in the paint, pits and knicks in bondo on body work, natural lines on the car not lining up or matching other "non hit" side of the car, missing clips and not painting small removable items, dull paint, or paint being a touch off shade and you being told "the plastic parts are always a shade off"

and thats the facts

Last edited by NYC ES3; 12-14-11 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-14-11, 10:32 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
You will hear mixed results in here...so let me clear all this up for you....ITS NOT about taking the car to the dealer for body work or going independent.--its about your knowledge of body work or someone who knows what its supposed to look like or finding an honest-ish independent shop to do it for you--usually one that someone who knows what they are talking about can recommend to you , like the post above me says----ask about return policy, talk to owners etc.. AND HERES WHY-

FACT #1: the dealer will not be doing the work themselves-- they do not have body repair techs, spray booths or anything in house that will fix your car located AT THE DEALERSHIP. So they MUST outsource the work - and their personnel have little knowledge of great body work and painting. Usually dishonext dealers and shops want 2 count on your lack of knowledge to get over with ok or decent work

FACT#2: Lexus as a company does not warranty any body work done at a dealership so even if they mess up your car - there is little LEXUS can do for you as the body as far as repairs due to hits is NOT under LEXUS warranty - so there is no benefit in going with the dealer

FACT#3: Being that the dealer will outsource the work , you are getting it done just as if you found your own shop because either way a third party is completing the work.

FACT#4: If you do not know how good body work vs. ok body work vs. crap jobs are SUPPOSED to look- you WILL BE at a loss, because sometimes "decent" work can look "great" to you because you if you have little or limited knowledge or exposure to it.

Fact#5: Shiny paint is not a signal of good work....Look for and find out online maybe ,or ask around get pics or look at common things like - orange peel looking paint and clear coats, over spray, textures and small fibers in the paint, pits and knicks in bondo on body work, natural lines on the car not lining up or matching other "non hit" side of the car, missing clips and not painting small removable items, dull paint, or paint being a touch off shade and you being told "the plastic parts are always a shade off"

and thats the facts
I disagree with your facts. Just took my car in for bumper repair at jm Lexus in south fl. They do all body work in house and warranty it. The only thing they outsource is tint and aftermarket car stereos. http://www.jm-lexus.com/BodyShop

Last edited by chris6878; 12-14-11 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 11:58 AM
silky f
Driver

You as the vehicle owner can fix the vehicle at any body shop you chose.

Lexus does not have any authorized body shops, however Lexus dealerships has body shops they work with or have a body shop within-
Old 12-14-11, 01:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

FWIW, if someone hit my car I would NEVER let them reskin a door. New door please. You jacked my car, I decide how it gets fixed, and as you found out, a reskin is NEVER as good as factory. I went through this once and fortunately the guy doing the work told me reskinning a door is a waste of time and will never be as nice as the original piece. Adjusters like it because it looks like it costs less, but when you add in all the labor if it is done right, it's a sink hole. You reskin a door on a car you're going to sell, not one you're going to keep.

The other thing to keep in mind here is also diminished value. I lost $3k on my IS350 after a scratched bumper turned into "moderate damage" on a police report according to CarFax. When someone else hits your car, even if it is fixed to factory specs, you will lose money at resale time, or the most qualified buyer will back away because the original VIN tags are not present.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it worth it to get car repaired at the dealer?