IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ECU tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 01:30 PM
JerySNdsky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU tuning

I know these ECU's are tuff to crack, but has any manufacture came up with a tune or flash? Or is our only option choosing a standalone, like MS, or AEM, and running it piggyback off the OEM ECU's, and dyno tuning the beast
Old 12-05-11, 01:42 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ECU is not cracked and no one has developed a way to flash it yet.

The way you worded your second question is a bit confusing.

I do not know of anyone running a standalone unit in the ISF. If you are in a state that test for emissions you will fail with a standalone.

Running piggyback is very sketchy or atleast i think so. The OEM ECU will just undo the piggyback units work after it learns long term fuel trim
Old 12-05-11, 01:45 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no flash for the F ECU at present. Your only option is indeed a piggyback like Dastek Unichip or HKS. Im not sure about AEM. Neither of those companies make a proprietary harness for the F so you'll have to buy/make a blank harness and start splicing. That's the tricky part. Without a wiring diagram for the ECU harness your in the dark. I know a guy at my high perf shop that is a Dastek dealer and apparently he has 25 of the Unichip Q+ units in his basement and said I could just come by and take one. I'll still need the harness and the UniTune software to start experimenting....
Old 12-05-11, 01:59 PM
JerySNdsky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by streetx
ECU is not cracked and no one has developed a way to flash it yet.

The way you worded your second question is a bit confusing.

I do not know of anyone running a standalone unit in the ISF. If you are in a state that test for emissions you will fail with a standalone.

Running piggyback is very sketchy or atleast i think so. The OEM ECU will just undo the piggyback units work after it learns long term fuel trim
MS you can override stock vvt, and also control timing, fuel injector loadout, Ive used it many times on VW's. Now Im going at this saying the car will be supercharged, or maybe even twinturbo. Since you are running piggyback, and keep or upgrade to HF cats, retaining all oem sensors, you will pass emissions. At least in Ohio they do not do technical inspections to make sure there are no modifications to emissions components. Its really just is there a CEL, and does it pass smog. My old 1st gen Talon pushing 900awhp was piggybacked on AEM and passed emissions by throwing on a hf cat.

I can run the data logs myself and adjust a few things on the dyno, just making sure nobody has cracked the ECU yet, as that would be too easy
Old 12-05-11, 02:03 PM
JerySNdsky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by staman
There is no flash for the F ECU at present. Your only option is indeed a piggyback like Dastek Unichip or HKS. Im not sure about AEM. Neither of those companies make a proprietary harness for the F so you'll have to buy/make a blank harness and start splicing. That's the tricky part. Without a wiring diagram for the ECU harness your in the dark. I know a guy at my high perf shop that is a Dastek dealer and apparently he has 25 of the Unichip Q+ units in his basement and said I could just come by and take one. I'll still need the harness and the UniTune software to start experimenting....
Not too worried about the splicing part. Im sure wiring diagram I can find in a manual. I'll look up Dastek. If not Im going with Megasquirt. I can pull an extra 13 rwhp out of a riding lawnmower with that
Old 12-06-11, 07:41 AM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JerySNdsky
MS you can override stock vvt, and also control timing, fuel injector loadout, Ive used it many times on VW's. Now Im going at this saying the car will be supercharged, or maybe even twinturbo. Since you are running piggyback, and keep or upgrade to HF cats, retaining all oem sensors, you will pass emissions. At least in Ohio they do not do technical inspections to make sure there are no modifications to emissions components. Its really just is there a CEL, and does it pass smog. My old 1st gen Talon pushing 900awhp was piggybacked on AEM and passed emissions by throwing on a hf cat.

I can run the data logs myself and adjust a few things on the dyno, just making sure nobody has cracked the ECU yet, as that would be too easy
A little off topic; pics of the Talon? LOL
Old 12-07-11, 07:34 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I defintely think that it's possible to crack this ECU, the problem that I see is that Lexus is not a good platform for tunning companies, and the aftermarket scene is way too small, so the smart people that may be able to do it don't have the interest to spend time on our cars.
Old 12-07-11, 11:04 PM
RyanM
Driver School Candidate

Guys, I am in South Africa and we have some very decent tuners here.
Actually we have some of the quickest V10 BMW's and V8 MB 63's in the world.
All these vehicles have been flash tuned.

My tuner is Motronix and is responsible for the fastest N/A C63 in the country.
I have had my F for the last few months and have started the modding process.
Based on what we have seen pre-liminary, the problem is not actually writting to the ECU (we will use BDM) it's actually just getting a read of the stock file to establish a base map.

We are now considering going the piggyback route.
Lucky for us the creator of the Unichip, Pieter de Wiert is here in SA and we will probably get him to wire the unit.

Will keep you all posted.
Old 12-08-11, 07:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I love the optimism. Bosch's encryption used to be easy to get around. The latest Bosch is not crackable and will never be. This has been true for Toyota since at least 1993, and anyone thinking the Supra market is small needs to talk to the horde of companies offering Supra stuff, starting with Nero at Titan. I remember when Nero drove a ratty black Supra and sold used PC parts.

Besides all this - I really do know people who do this for a living, and they've all come to the conclusion you'll never crack Toyota. Ever. So, it's piggybacks or standalones with limited functionality and zero smog legality. Add to this the VVT algorithms are closely guarded by the OEMs (not just Toyota, but the Euros as well) and the standalone gets pretty challenging pretty quickly unless you decide to completely forgo the variability available.

Worst news of all is Bosch is now forcing anyone who wants to play to use their motorsports platform. They've done things to make each car unique, so cracking one won't mean jack for cracking another one, and they've made it impossible to circumvent the reflash counter, so you'll not be able to go in with any claims on the engine if they see you've reflashed it.

I'd really like to be proved wrong, but no one has come up with anything better than daughterboards and piggybacks since '93. That says a lot about how concerned Toyota is about maintaining control over their intellectual property.
Old 12-09-11, 06:52 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definitely not crackable, but I've been running MAPECU on my IS350 for a couple months now and it hasnt overwritten any fuel trims from what I can tell. I leaned it out to 12.5 - 12 till redline and added 4 degrees of timing from 4500-6500 rpm. Car feels great. Just ran some logs the other day and all seems exactly like I left it.

There's a guy in Texas who's got the MAPECU on his IS-F and he's been running it far longer than I have. He gave me some pointers when we were installing mine. Anyway, piggy's are you're only option, but they work in limited capacity.
Old 06-01-12, 12:29 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you know who was running the MAP ecu on the F?

I'm thinking of putting a Emanage blue in... I know it's not officially supported but it's all about signals or voltages....

What does the F use for air metering? Is it Karman vortex or flapper?

I figure the injectors still work of pulse width like every other car/ecu so I can adjust the fuel via pulse width for adding and use the air flow signal to pull fuel (not ideal because it screws with the timing since I'm scaling down) but Emanage blue can handle timing anyways... Does anyone have a pin out of the ECU on the F from the EWD or TSRM?
Old 06-01-12, 12:43 PM
BryanLeISF
Pole Position

Me and Elmer (F4Fast) have been talking to a guy that tunes turbo lambos and all sorts of other crazy cars. he is flying in to Houston and will be talking with Elmer on Monday. He's going to use Elmer's F for r&d, but says he was previously working on an twin turbo F and says it is possible. I am as skeptical as the next guy, but I will remain optimistic and keep everybody updated with what he is able to do
Old 06-01-12, 12:56 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You where probably talking to John Reed... If that is him I wouldn't discount him, he is the Fing man, he has tuned more 1000+ HP cars then I bet you even knew existed.

He also tuned my mk3 with an AEM in about 10 minutes with his base map and 3 hr of fine tuning later I was making 647@ the wheels on pump. lol

I'm a pretty decent piggy back tuner, but he fully understand the AEM and tuning on that.. I was talking to him about getting a tune for the IS-F and what the hell are the options he was saying he was working on something for the cars and he has twin turbo IS-F at the shop...

Hes based out of Portland.
Old 06-01-12, 01:10 PM
BryanLeISF
Pole Position

I was talking to Chris Delgado, but I have seen a thread up here with John Reed working on a twin turbo F...I think he is using Motec. I support anyone out there who is working on a tune for this car. I definitely don't have the know how, but I think guys out there could do it if they wanted to dedicate the time and money to it
Old 06-01-12, 01:31 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you talking about?

Originally Posted by zazzn
Do you know who was running the MAP ecu on the F?

Quick Reply: ECU tuning