IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ECU tuning

Old 09-17-12, 09:47 AM
erick3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is it safe to assume that they've finally found a means to read/crack the oe ecu? Baby steps but I wonder how they're going to be able to mass produce the tunes? Hope it's not in house exclusive....!
Old 09-17-12, 03:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by erick3
So is it safe to assume that they've finally found a means to read/crack the oe ecu? Baby steps but I wonder how they're going to be able to mass produce the tunes? Hope it's not in house exclusive....!
No, they haven't. They're doing something that includes the OEM ECM. There are too many problems created when the OEM ECM goes away, and I sincerely doubt anyone has the resources and the will to crack Toyota's security on the OEM ECM.
Old 09-17-12, 04:03 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No, they haven't. They're doing something that includes the OEM ECM. There are too many problems created when the OEM ECM goes away, and I sincerely doubt anyone has the resources and the will to crack Toyota's security on the OEM ECM.
Why don't don't they want anybody cracking the OEM ECM, ECU tuning is a mod that is commonly done on the competing M3, C63, and RS4...

But it is what it is I am Toyota/Lexus fanboy at the end of the day...
Old 09-17-12, 04:25 PM
BryanLeISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mjthind
Why don't don't they want anybody cracking the OEM ECM, ECU tuning is a mod that is commonly done on the competing M3, C63, and RS4...

But it is what it is I am Toyota/Lexus fanboy at the end of the day...
could possibly be the fear of compromising the reliability of the car that Toyota/Lexus build their platform around. we all hear the nightmare stories about the European cars you just listed needing repeated maintenance. Toyota sells cars because of their reputation for building solid cars that will take you up to 200k+ miles. if people crack the ecu and begin tinkering with things it could lead to cars breaking down, blown motors, electrical issues etc. Toyota has made it's name selling bulletproof family vehicles. I doubt it wants to jeopardize that so a handful of us can play racecar lol however I wouldn't be opposed to them allowing me to tune my f
Old 09-17-12, 04:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanLeISF
could possibly be the fear of compromising the reliability of the car that Toyota/Lexus build their platform around. we all hear the nightmare stories about the European cars you just listed needing repeated maintenance. Toyota sells cars because of their reputation for building solid cars that will take you up to 200k+ miles. if people crack the ecu and begin tinkering with things it could lead to cars breaking down, blown motors, electrical issues etc. Toyota has made it's name selling bulletproof family vehicles. I doubt it wants to jeopardize that so a handful of us can play racecar lol however I wouldn't be opposed to them allowing me to tune my f
I'd call this dead on the money. Also, we're drifting off topic. Let's stay on the project!
Old 09-17-12, 05:38 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanLeISF
Thanks for the explanation Bryan!

I'd call this dead on the money. Also, we're drifting off topic. Let's stay on the project!
Sorry I was just wondering...
Old 09-17-12, 07:48 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Bryan hit it on the money. And yes, these are baby steps. Cracking the ecu now is literally impossible. If the supra ecu is stick locked, how can a much newer, and muh more advanced ecu be easier. It will only get harder. And yes ive heard many stories of the s4 dumping out due to it leaning out. M3s are actually more reliable than any other of the stated above.

To get on topic, they are finishing up the ae86, and getting ready to work on the f. I may be getting a stock exhaust system, a joez exhaust from a friend as a loaner just to see what we make on dyno with my cat delete and muffler delete, with a full true dual exhaust system(unless someone wants to let me use their iss forged exhaust for comparisons and dyno reviews on both.) trying to see what the max all motor will be with I/H/E.
Old 09-17-12, 08:50 PM
BryanLeISF
Pole Position

are you asking to borrow my exhaust for a day? lol
Old 09-19-12, 12:01 AM
erick3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by F4Fast
Bryan hit it on the money. And yes, these are baby steps. Cracking the ecu now is literally impossible. If the supra ecu is stick locked, how can a much newer, and muh more advanced ecu be easier. It will only get harder. And yes ive heard many stories of the s4 dumping out due to it leaning out. M3s are actually more reliable than any other of the stated above.

To get on topic, they are finishing up the ae86, and getting ready to work on the f. I may be getting a stock exhaust system, a joez exhaust from a friend as a loaner just to see what we make on dyno with my cat delete and muffler delete, with a full true dual exhaust system(unless someone wants to let me use their iss forged exhaust for comparisons and dyno reviews on both.) trying to see what the max all motor will be with I/H/E.
you'll have to forgive me, as i'm new to the isf scene - i don't even own one (yet)
so you're telling me, that the HOPES of the this project, are to TUNE ALONGSIDE the OE ECM..? i'm relatively new to the tuning world; my current g37s is fully bolted on and tuned by uprev, but as far as i know...uprev actually cracks the ecu and then reset the parameters (afr). i'm having a hard time understanding how the tuners working on this are going to adjust the afr values, timing, etc alongside the OE ecu and have everything work functionally. Someone care to enlighten me?

Last edited by erick3; 09-19-12 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-19-12, 03:03 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

two ways, adjust the imput the sensors are giving like a piggy back, or only use the OE ecm to control some features and feed it bs info while the ProEFI is really running other parts of the car.
Old 09-19-12, 09:27 AM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Nissan has many ways of going about their tune. I am going to use nistune on my frontier when the time comes for boost Nissan has a slot for a ecu to get chipped(some do not all) where they can burn new parameters and make the car run almost stock with the exception of the rev limiter and the speed governor kicking in at lets say ex:100 and being able to kick in at 150, or have it completely disabled.

The way it will work to my understanding is it will use the signals and change them through the proefi ecu. Ive seen personally their tacoma turbo and their ae86 turbo using proefi and it looks and runs amazing. The problem is, those are 4 and 6 injectors. Isf, on the other hand, is using 16 injectors, 8 of them being direct port. Also, with no fuel return in the direct port side, there will be a return made with a regulator to make sure all is working properly. Under boost, hose direct port will be 90-100% duty cycle to get going good. But we atill need to make sure we dont need separate drivers for the mehanical fuel fumps at each rail(ticking noise you will hear when car is idling so dont be scared, ive heard it alot lol).

Welcome to the f commute aswell, and asking questions is fine, especially when you want to get a car and wat to add performance to it. Its a expensive hobby and car so yes, you wanna research as much as you can. Once all starts, we will be posting alot of pictures and progress. Hopefully this is the key to the f. I hate not being able to g all out.
Old 09-19-12, 10:01 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I sincerely doubt anyone has the resources and the will to crack Toyota's security on the OEM ECM.
I am sure there are plenty of people that could crack it if they wanted to. If there are people hacking government agencies and large corporations that have very high security I am sure they could unlock the ecu. It is a matter of the fact they have no reason too. If Toyota had such good security on their ECU they would be selling computer encryption on the side.
Old 09-19-12, 10:15 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

^^^ You're stating the obvious bud. Lance describes it, as "will" while you use "reason to/want to." Same thing, nothing to rebuke.
Old 09-19-12, 11:25 AM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WReuroR
I am sure there are plenty of people that could crack it if they wanted to. If there are people hacking government agencies and large corporations that have very high security I am sure they could unlock the ecu. It is a matter of the fact they have no reason too. If Toyota had such good security on their ECU they would be selling computer encryption on the side.
The security is actually Bosch encryption, it doesn't really have anything to do with toyota..
Old 09-19-12, 01:12 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Originally Posted by staman
The security is actually Bosch encryption, it doesn't really have anything to do with toyota..

One of the toughest to crack. We use those on our BigBore MaxxForce 11,13 and 15 liter engines. Insane how muh pressure those things can push out. 40k psi+ output on the pump.

It can be broken, but those hackers you speak of probably have no clue as to what the hell tuning is. They just know 1010.1001010.10101010.1111.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECU tuning