IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ECU tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 01:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Fast
Well, heres the deal. The fact that, 1 the f does not use a body controller, like nissan, and the transmission is a converter, not a twin clutch, and Also it being a 8 speed, doesnt help one bit. But because the f has a tcm and they comminucate through canbus -/+ it shouldnt be a problem. The tricky part will be getting the ems, stock ecm, and tcm to communicate back and forth accordingly, without codes, faults, etc.

For those who are a bit lost, i can try and clarify it a little bit.

Body controllers do exactly what they are named, control body sensors signals, inputs, outputs. Nissan, you can hook up to it with a laptop, and then open trunk, locks, windows, gauges, a/c, radio, horn, etc. Lexus has the body controller intergrated in the ecm. Thats one of the tricky parts.

Communication goes through 2-4 wires back and forth, im not sure how exactly the isf works, but on 18wheeler diesel trucks(my field of work) they communicate through J1939, where the body controller, ecm, tcm, brakes system, and any other intergrated equipment ecms will "TALK" to eachother and keep eachother updated 1000s of time a minute to ensure all is working properly. If one of them was to have a fault, it will automatically tell the others and make sure there is no extra power given out, and togo into limp mode. Dependig on how serious the code is, it will or wont go into limp mode.

So i understand what they are doing and how all works. All we are waiting for now is how to get it all figured out. The fun part lol.
The thing you call the "body controller" is called BEAN - Body Electrical Area Network - by Toyota, and it is a separate box, but it is connected to the OEM ECM and relies on it for I/O. There is also a separate ECU for certificate generation to make the smart key system work. With an aftermarket ECM, you'll likely have to lose the smart key or spend a whole lot of time running simulations to reverse engineer how the security system works. I don't imagine this will be even remotely like a small task.

Good luck, this is going to take a lot longer than you think, and you're going to need lots of good luck to get everything working.
Old 06-07-12, 04:13 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, thats something they will have to figure out. Computers are programmed to do what they are told to do. And you are right, its gonna take time to do it, thats why i am willingto give my car for r&d. Its not my daily, and i have all the time, til tx2k13

Lobuxracer, thanks for that little bit of info, its something new to me, and i by no means know about the toyota/lexus electrical system. But believe me, i will get this down. The easy or the hard way. Sad thing is i chose the hard way lol
Old 06-07-12, 04:24 PM
flyverylow
Rookie

Subscribed.
Old 06-07-12, 05:16 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd better set your horsepower goals much higher than 700 whp if you want to be a serious contender at tx2k13
Old 06-07-12, 06:55 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

700whp is enough for some good runs. For the big boys, a built isf will be needed, once my 100k warranty is out, that will be done. Even though it may get voided once its boosted thing that worries me is the zf trans. Idk what ts capable of

Been to every tx2k since 2008. I know whats there.
Old 06-07-12, 07:28 PM
BryanLeISF
Pole Position

700whp is enough for some good runs. For the big boys, a built isf will be needed, once my 100k warranty is out, that will be done. Even though it may get voided once its boosted thing that worries me is the zf trans. Idk what ts capable of

I guess since we were supposed to get spray together I'll be hopping on this with you as well lol I really hope this all works out
Old 06-07-12, 07:42 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck man! this is gonna be great for the community
Old 06-07-12, 07:58 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BryanLeISF
I guess since we were supposed to get spray together I'll be hopping on this with you as well lol I really hope this all works out

I was wondering when you were gonna tell me that.
Old 06-07-12, 08:31 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Ill be there with my F this year, so if your ready lets get a run in. I just put off my Ist Turbo build so that I can put my Datsun Tx2k vision into gear. Ill still be just a nitrous car, but a strong one in the MPH range
Old 06-07-12, 08:34 PM
BryanLeISF
Pole Position

oh I thought it was already understood that I was going to haha you know I'm always on board if the money is right
Old 08-10-12, 07:13 PM
rw95gt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any updates?
Old 08-10-12, 11:13 PM
teddert2
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed
Old 08-11-12, 06:13 AM
faeflora
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, glad to chime in on this thread. I have been talking to a tuner who is very well known for his work here in houston. He has tuned 1400-1500whp lambos, and then have the record for the fastest M3 SMG full interior with no weight reductions. So for the guys who are wondering, there is NOTHING, absolutely nothing out for the F. But we will be sittig down this wednesday and discussing all abou the F, will be data logging, and like every V8, we are going to try and hit a 450-475whp, 50-65whp after a tune. Now for those saying its impossible, look at EVERY V8 engine, and this is what they pull out of it, after a tune. Take all the time in the world, and you will see its true. With this said, after a few weeks, maybe 1K miles or so, we will start discussing, or better yet, make a turbo kit where we use either new exhaust manifolds, maybe going of the sikky design, and try to bolt the if we have enough room, in the rear lower section engine, it wont be an easy task, but it can be done, we will have to design a different pan(maybe) for the returns and and make sure the turbos are high enough for them aswell. Alot of testing, designing and work will be going into my car real soon, but its something i hope to accomplish and give to the Lexus community. Being the 1st tuned F, the 1st 450-475whp F all motor, and hopefully the first to hit 600-650whp and possibly 700whp (if the engine allows ) with no juice would be a accomplishment. Once all goes down, i will be making a thread, updating as often as possible with any little thing, and try to get datalogs, videos and info out to you guys.

Yah, sure you will dude. In other news, pigs fly. Talk real big but you ain't got jack for results yet and I'd bet you never will.
Old 08-11-12, 08:06 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by faeflora
Yah, sure you will dude. In other news, pigs fly. Talk real big but you ain't got jack for results yet and I'd bet you never will.
I'm not holding my breath either based on the lack of results from every other person/company that has tried so far.

That being said...I'm also not going to do anything but encourage anybody who is going to take the time to try something that would help out the ISF community...whether they are successful or not.

Internet forums are a great way for people to share information and passion for various things. So far, your few and mostly negative comments on this forum can't be considered as contributions to this forum/community.
Old 08-11-12, 09:12 AM
AAM6906
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trans isnt zf its an aisin AA80E

Quick Reply: ECU tuning