IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Headers and exhaust systems

Old 11-29-11, 02:05 PM
suture
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headers and exhaust systems

Hi Y'all,

I just purchased a 2011 ISF and am looking to add a few items to provide a little more HP's. I already installed a cold air intake and now want to add a set of headers and an exhaust system.

I am not that familiar with the various brands and types of systems on the market but have been doing a lot of reading and watching some of the video's on Utube...sounds of exhaust systems, etc...

Anyway, at this point I have to say I really like the Joe Z exhaust system and the Sikky headers (in terms of the apparent increase in HP and the sound of the car).

However, I have read on here that not all headers/exhaust systems appear to be equal and now I am concerned that I might purchase the wrong product. So, if anyone has the time to help me I would appreciate it. I am not dead set on purchasing the Joe Z and Sikky system but I do like the sound of these two paired together.

Lastly, do I need to purchase any other items if I put these headers and exhaust systems in? I see there was some talk about Cat-Converters so I thought I would ask if I need to address anything else other than purchasing a header/exhaust system? I tried to read BpPower's thread but got lost with the abbreviations like CEL and SIM (you can see I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff....but I do want learn).

Thank you all so much, I look forward to hearing something...

Dave
Old 11-29-11, 02:30 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Congrats and welcome!

You can't go wrong with SIKKY/PPE headers with Joe Z/Borla/ISS exhaust. You don't have to purchase anything else for these systems. All these products are bolt-ons and come with the necessary hardware.

But the install on the headers will be around ~$600-$1000 and about 6-10hrs of install. Make sure you find the right place to get these installed, or you will be frustrated (Check engine light, broken 02 sensors, etc.).

Let us know what you are going to do!
Old 11-29-11, 03:20 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I went with the PPE headers and a modified dual exhaust utilizing the stock mufflers. My thread is here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-headers.html

I believe the fitment and workmanship of PPE is superior to Sikky, but that's just my opinion.

The workmanship and fitment of the JoeZ exhaust is IMHO great, but it was just too loud for me.

Lou
Old 11-29-11, 04:06 PM
suture
Driver School Candidate

Ok, Great! Thank you for the input. I guess I didn't think about the exhaust being too loud....but this IS someting I would be concerned with. I do know someone in this area who has a header/exhaust system but I am not sure which set he put in....I will try to listen to his car/exhaust and see if the volume is a bit overbearing.

Thank you again for your help, very much appreciated. A patient of mine owns a "hotrod" store/service center here in Atlanta and he quoted me around $4,500 for header and exhaust install (parts and labor). Does this sound about righ? I see the headers run around $1,000 give or take and the exhaust runs about $1,300 give or take. I am not sure what the hourly labor rates are...but it seems like $4,500 is a little steep. But, I could easily be wrong so if anyone has an opinion on this I would appreciate it. If it is even close I would like to give him the business. Thanks again.
Old 11-29-11, 04:28 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JoeZ or ISS exhaust would be around 1700+100 labor and PPE or Sikky headers 1600+800 labor= $4200

Those prices are ruff est. Including tax and shipping. All worth it though
Old 11-29-11, 05:04 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome! What color ISF did you get? What intake did you install?
Old 11-29-11, 05:30 PM
suture
Driver School Candidate

Default ISF upgrades

I bought the white ISF. The ISF looks awesome in black...but I saw this white ISF online with blackened top, tinted windows (I won't tint mine probably), awesome rims, several body part add-ons and it looked just great. I started with a K&G CAI but then held off with any automotive upgrades to have a Passport 9500ci installed. That was expensive but that thing works unbelievably well...

Anyway, I want to get a set of headers and a new exhaust system but really have no idea what I am doing. I love this website....I am sure to use it when I plan other changes/upgrades with the car. I have been looking at rims and wheels and would like to ultimately get some insight with this in the next couple of months. Thank you all for your help and suggestions......really appreciate your time and knowledge.
Old 11-29-11, 05:36 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by suture
I bought the white ISF. The ISF looks awesome in black...but I saw this white ISF online with blackened top, tinted windows (I won't tint mine probably), awesome rims, several body part add-ons and it looked just great. I started with a K&G CAI but then held off with any automotive upgrades to have a Passport 9500ci installed. That was expensive but that thing works unbelievably well...

Anyway, I want to get a set of headers and a new exhaust system but really have no idea what I am doing. I love this website....I am sure to use it when I plan other changes/upgrades with the car. I have been looking at rims and wheels and would like to ultimately get some insight with this in the next couple of months. Thank you all for your help and suggestions......really appreciate your time and knowledge.
If you are at all concerned about how loud your car will be with a header/exhaust combo, you might want to consider the Borla exhaust. Best bang for the buck exhaust that I know of for this car. It's not annoyingly loud, little to no drone and sounds deep and sophisticated. Very fitting for this car in my opinion.

Check out my link below:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-here-14.html

Last edited by caymandive; 11-29-11 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-30-11, 12:18 AM
mercurymet
Driver

If you want headers and exhaust, I think you should do it in steps. Get the headers first. I have PPE headers and currently have my stock exhaust back on. Sounds nice, louder than stock but a little muted at low rpms. Great for picking up the kids from school while blending in.

I put on a Borla cat back last night..started the car in the am and man it was a lot louder than I was expecting. Sounded like a truck.. was going to have some cats welded on but put the stock exhaust back on tonight. I don't think the cats will quiet things enough.

If you are set on getting both, you should try to hear what the setup sounds like with cats, no cats, as well as headers only vs exhaust only.
Old 11-30-11, 03:58 AM
Super6
Driver

I put borlas on two weeks ago and they were loud but are much quiter now. I recomend giving it 500 miles to see if it sounds sweeter.
Old 11-30-11, 04:38 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mercurymet
If you want headers and exhaust, I think you should do it in steps. Get the headers first. I have PPE headers and currently have my stock exhaust back on. Sounds nice, louder than stock but a little muted at low rpms. Great for picking up the kids from school while blending in.

I put on a Borla cat back last night..started the car in the am and man it was a lot louder than I was expecting. Sounded like a truck.. was going to have some cats welded on but put the stock exhaust back on tonight. I don't think the cats will quiet things enough.

If you are set on getting both, you should try to hear what the setup sounds like with cats, no cats, as well as headers only vs exhaust only.
The Borla exhaust is the quietest and least droning true-dual aftermarket exhaust I know of for the IS-F with exception to those running stock mufflers with dual-piping. I haven't heard the new ISSForged DES street exhaust yet and that may be even quieter, but I can tell you from experience that both the PTS JoeZ and non-DES versions of the ISSForged exhaust are much louder and drone especially when combined with headers.

As for your car sounding like a truck, it could be one of two things. You either had an exhaust leak or you weren't used to something louder. I agree though that COLD start-ups are still kinda loud, but in a good way and something typical of any aftermarket exhaust system.
Old 11-30-11, 05:04 AM
suture
Driver School Candidate

Ok, great info. I live a little outside of the box for someone my age but I am a little nervous about driving to the hospital with a car that might offend the administrator....lol..just kidding. As Cayman posted above (and thank everyone very much...this is all very helpful) what would the ISF sound like and what kind of performance gains would I get if I put in a Borla exhaust first. In other words, would I receive a bump in HP but only a modest increase in exhaust volume with the Borla exhaust alone? This might be the ticket.....this or putting in headers in first? Can someone ttell me what the difference would be HP and noise wise by going with headers-only versus Borla-only? Thanks again....all very much appreciated...
Old 11-30-11, 07:16 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by suture
Ok, great info. I live a little outside of the box for someone my age but I am a little nervous about driving to the hospital with a car that might offend the administrator....lol..just kidding. As Cayman posted above (and thank everyone very much...this is all very helpful) what would the ISF sound like and what kind of performance gains would I get if I put in a Borla exhaust first. In other words, would I receive a bump in HP but only a modest increase in exhaust volume with the Borla exhaust alone? This might be the ticket.....this or putting in headers in first? Can someone ttell me what the difference would be HP and noise wise by going with headers-only versus Borla-only? Thanks again....all very much appreciated...
Headers/Stock exhaust = Nice bump in power with little to no volume change
Headers/Aftermarket exhaust = Very nice bump in power and of course louder than stock
Aftermarket exhaust alone= moderate bump in power and louder than stock

Of course you also have to keep in mind that with the addition of headers you may have issues with state and emission inspections and it's not as simple to swap back to stock as would be the case with a cat back exhaust.
Old 11-30-11, 08:45 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

So you're a fellow doc? What's your specialty? I have a 2011 with PPE and joe z intake and exhaust. I ran this setup for about 2 months before getting the manga flow high flow cats that are optional when buying the Headers. It was much louder prior to cats and had an annoying gas smell in the exhaust. Sound is much more tolerable now and no more gas smell. However, it's still much louder than stock and at times still has some drone. I plan to have some hushmat installed in the spring to help tame the loudness in the cabin some more... CEL is check engine light btw.
Old 11-30-11, 09:38 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I was concerned about sound with my profession and image as well.

It is louder with the JOE Z exhaust, but its not obnoxious by any means. I think you guys are just old farts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers and exhaust systems