badboylex
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where can I buy this from.
Old 08-10-16, 04:53 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! A few weeks ago I installed new rotors and pads on the front axle. I discovered loud grinding noises when turning the steering wheel when driving it initially. I took the wheels off and looked at the rotors and noticed they were scraping on the inner side of the rotor and brake pad by seeing circular gouges in both the rotors and pads. I removed the pads and calipers and re-seated the rotors again and reinstalled the calipers, pads, and wheels and went for another drive. Same problem happening and now I am stumped. I removed the brake reservoir cap during this process, but did not bleed the brakes. Could that be the problem? Obviously I would need to buy new rotors and pads to replace these gouged ones, but would like to get to the bottom of the problem before wasting money on another set of new rotors and pads. This was my first time doing this on the F (I did do a pad change only 2 years ago with no issues) but also have done several other rotor and pad changes on other vehicles. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-16, 05:19 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

So the rotor is physically moving side to side inside the caliper and contacting the caliper body under load? Assuming the rotors themselves are not the problem (may have got the wrong part or something silly) then it sounds like your front wheel bearings may be the issue.

-Matt M.
Old 08-10-16, 06:34 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you remove all rust from the hubs where they interface with the rotor hat?
Old 08-11-16, 05:08 AM
diegoleyla
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bulls23337
Help! A few weeks ago I installed new rotors and pads on the front axle. I discovered loud grinding noises when turning the steering wheel when driving it initially. I took the wheels off and looked at the rotors and noticed they were scraping on the inner side of the rotor and brake pad by seeing circular gouges in both the rotors and pads. I removed the pads and calipers and re-seated the rotors again and reinstalled the calipers, pads, and wheels and went for another drive. Same problem happening and now I am stumped. I removed the brake reservoir cap during this process, but did not bleed the brakes. Could that be the problem? Obviously I would need to buy new rotors and pads to replace these gouged ones, but would like to get to the bottom of the problem before wasting money on another set of new rotors and pads. This was my first time doing this on the F (I did do a pad change only 2 years ago with no issues) but also have done several other rotor and pad changes on other vehicles. Thanks in advance!
You might have the rear rotors and not the front ones. I dont know the exact specs the thickness should be but i know the rear are smaller diameter and a little thicker. Just an idea..
Old 08-11-16, 09:42 AM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
So the rotor is physically moving side to side inside the caliper and contacting the caliper body under load? Assuming the rotors themselves are not the problem (may have got the wrong part or something silly) then it sounds like your front wheel bearings may be the issue.

-Matt M.
I ordered Raybestos rotor P/N 980675 and verified on their website and others that it fits the IS F front. I also compared this rotor with the old rotor I removed. I'd be surprised of a front wheel bearing issue if I didn't have this issue before changing the rotors.

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
Did you remove all rust from the hubs where they interface with the rotor hat?
Yes, I sure did. One of the first things I do is take a wire brush and air drill to get off rust.

Originally Posted by diegoleyla
You might have the rear rotors and not the front ones. I dont know the exact specs the thickness should be but i know the rear are smaller diameter and a little thicker. Just an idea..
Thanks. I definitely checked the rotor size and specs visually with the new and old rotor.
Old 08-11-16, 11:59 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I ordered Raybestos rotor P/N 980675 and verified on their website and others that it fits the IS F front. I also compared this rotor with the old rotor I removed. I'd be surprised of a front wheel bearing issue if I didn't have this issue before changing the rotors.
Can you provide any photos or more information? The more you provide, the easier it will be to try and diagnose. Can you see damage on the caliper body or surrounding ball joints? Where exactly is the rotor making contact?

Have you checked the wheel bearings for play?

-Matt M.
Old 08-11-16, 02:55 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Can you provide any photos or more information? The more you provide, the easier it will be to try and diagnose. Can you see damage on the caliper body or surrounding ball joints? Where exactly is the rotor making contact?

Have you checked the wheel bearings for play?

-Matt M.
Hey Matt, appreciate the help. I don't have any photos. Probably won't for a couple of weeks as I will be on work travel out of the country tomorrow. I can tell you that both rotors have scrape marks going all around the rotor directionally on the sides facing in towards the engine. Same for the pads. I can also see some corresponding scrape marks on the inner side of caliper from scraping the rotor. The front side of the rotor and pads facing away from the engine has no damage.

I have not checked the wheel bearings for play. Would it be possible for both to go bad at the same time, especially during a rotor and pad change? And that I did not have this issue before?
Old 08-13-16, 12:38 AM
tsx2isF
Driver School Candidate

Great diy!!
Old 08-15-16, 01:43 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

bumping this up
Old 08-15-16, 08:56 PM
newguy1354
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like bent shields to me. (Shown in the 3rd to last photo of this original post). Between the rotor and the knuckle (where the caliper mounts to) is the thin metal shield that is easy to bend and will make that noise and damage.
You can check it with just the wheel off. Visually and with your hand, carefully follow it around the rotor. Making sure there is about a 1/4 of inch space between it and the rotor.
Old 03-05-17, 09:06 AM
invius
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had never replaced brakes/pads before, but decided to give it a go with this write-up. Had a buddy help who is very competent with cars. It was unbelievably easy. Between the Rotors (~450 on eBay for 4 Brembo Rotors and another $125-150 for StopTech Street pads, I was out around $600 for parts). A few odds and ends rounded it up to around $625. This is less than a third of what the dealer wanted, and took us right around 3 hours and we took our time. The best piece of advice is make sure you have the 8x1.25 bolt that is mentioned. Once you have the caliper off screw the bolt in to the open hole on the rotor and it will pop right off. It was like magic. Thanks Cayman for taking the time to put these write ups together, excellent work!!!
The following users liked this post:
caymandive (03-06-17)