IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

This is how I got rid of the drone on my Joe-Z exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 09:03 AM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To each their own... if it works for you and especially your neighbors thats all that matters... i personally like hearing the v8... my neighbors can close their windows if its too loud :P
Old 11-10-11, 09:11 AM
krue92
Driver

I don't really know what you mean by the drone the Joe-Z has. I have had mine on for a couple months and never have heard this so called drone. I think the exhaust sounds amazing and people actually can tell its a V8 under the hood...
Old 11-10-11, 10:29 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb PTS Exhaust System....

Kudos to "DS2K" for coming up with a switchable solution..

Originally Posted by krue92
I don't really know what you mean by the drone the Joe-Z has. I have had mine on for a couple months and never have heard this so called drone. I think the exhaust sounds amazing and people actually can tell its a V8 under the hood...
I guess it's a matter of opinion lately..
With hundreds of these systems sold over the last 3 years, I have only had a few people mention this from time to time...

Below are a couple of posts I made this past July 11' in another thread..

Originally Posted by Joe Z

What drone???

Seriously I drive over 75 miles a day and can easily have a conference call on the Bluetooth..
Or great conversation with people in the car.

The sound we developed on the system still keeps that rich luxury feel when you're driving normal, but at WOT you get that true performance sound that our unique V-8 creates.

I get people who ask me to make it louder and I get people who want it quieter.
Fact is for over 2 years we have made it one way and will continue to do so.

We can make it louder & obnoxious too, but loud drone will be there as a full time side effect.

Regards,

Joe Z

Bottom line is I have driven cars that drone badly.. Everything rattles in the interior.. Lots of humming..
You can't even have a conversation in the car or on the phone and eventually your ears start hurting.. LoL

This system if at all anything barely "drones", under certain loads / speeds.

I see it as an exhaust tone you would expect after removing the stock system and replacing it with a High Performance System.

Drone is subjective and varies from person to person in this case.

All I can tell you is my ears never hurt, plus I can have conversations easily on the Bluetooth..
I can easily have a conversation in the car with out any complaints.
Nothing rattles on MY F.
Ans, my daughter easily takes naps as well..

One person I know put some silencers in our mufflers to make them quieter, but it killed about 7-8 rwhp..
Again, just sharing some old posts that coevr the same topic...

Regards,

~ Joe Z
Old 11-11-11, 06:32 PM
mattcocita
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in an '08 ISF a few days ago that had a Joe-Z intake and exhaust. The sounds was incredible and there wasn't any drone that I noticed.
Old 11-14-11, 06:17 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mattcocita
I was in an '08 ISF a few days ago that had a Joe-Z intake and exhaust. The sounds was incredible and there wasn't any drone that I noticed.
You can make the exhaust "not drone" if you apply a certain amount of pressure on the gas peddle at various ranges of RPM. Also, in "spirited" runs it's much less noticeable because they RPM is constantly changing unlike cruising on the highway going 70+mph for 2+ hours.
Old 11-15-11, 04:05 PM
vintage
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Joe Z exhaust Drone

I took a different approach with my drone issue. I took the rear seats out and added some sound deadening material which dramatically reduced the noise. The seats pop right out...the material sticks to the floorboard and voila. The last thing I did was wrap my mufflers with thermal heat wrap for exhausts and headers. It came in a 50 ft roll and I cut it in half and wrapped each muffler with 25ft of it. It slightly changed it to a more refined sound. Now in all honesty I had to put two layers of sound deadening material to get the proper decibal level but it is doable. Now it still has a very serious deep tone to it but the cabin is much more enjoyable.

Vintage
Old 11-15-11, 04:25 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Post pictures or it never happened. lol
Originally Posted by vintage
I took a different approach with my drone issue. I took the rear seats out and added some sound deadening material which dramatically reduced the noise. The seats pop right out...the material sticks to the floorboard and voila. The last thing I did was wrap my mufflers with thermal heat wrap for exhausts and headers. It came in a 50 ft roll and I cut it in half and wrapped each muffler with 25ft of it. It slightly changed it to a more refined sound. Now in all honesty I had to put two layers of sound deadening material to get the proper decibal level but it is doable. Now it still has a very serious deep tone to it but the cabin is much more enjoyable.

Vintage
Old 11-15-11, 04:32 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Vintage: any pics? What material? To the rear of the seats too or just the floor?
Old 11-15-11, 04:34 PM
vintage
Pole Position

Default Drone Attack

Haaaa fair enough...have to get some up this week....its after dark now but I will.

Vintage
Old 11-15-11, 04:39 PM
vintage
Pole Position

Default Drone Attack

Well you grab the bottom of the rear seats and push backwards and boom they pop out. So then you stick the material on the floorboard and go from one door to another....twice.
Then remove the rear seat back area with a socket (floorboard area) and push them upwards to unclip them at the rear deck level. They come right out. Then cover that wall with material....put them back in and smile when you turn on the car. Google sound deadening material and you will find what you need. It adds a little weight to the car but big deal.....I still walk on most anything that pulls up next to me.

www.b-quiet.com They have a really great product.

Last edited by vintage; 11-15-11 at 04:47 PM. Reason: add information
Old 11-15-11, 05:03 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I installed my Joe Z exhaust today, I think your all crazy

Sound is perfect. Although, I'm used to hearing the open downpipe on the celica
Old 11-15-11, 07:29 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

I guess it's a matter of opinion lately..
With hundreds of these systems sold over the last 3 years, I have only had a few people mention this from time to time...
Not all people hear the same. Some people might be more sensitive to that frequency.
Old 02-24-12, 08:47 PM
xjason
Driver

Has anybody added secondary resonators to the joe z exhaust to help with the drone?
Old 02-24-12, 09:12 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by xjason
Has anybody added secondary resonators to the joe z exhaust to help with the drone?

It already comes with Two Resonators & Two Mufflers....

~ Joe Z
Old 02-24-12, 10:35 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by xjason
There is no drone jason :P you'll when i see you Sunday :P

Quick Reply: This is how I got rid of the drone on my Joe-Z exhuast