IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-12, 06:56 PM
elowderm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCB
I don't think you'll get a reply from Mike. I bought the car from him and I'm not sure that he browses the forum anymore.
To answer your question in his/my behalf the fenders where modded. Mike had rolled and did a light pull on them. When I purchased the car I also decide to purchase the wheels. When I reinstalled them on the car it still had a rubbing issue and was peeling the outer sidewall (more so on the right side) I had to grind the tabs on the bottom edge of the quarter panel and repaint it.
After that it was a lot better but still rubbed at times, more so with a full tank of gas and/or a passenger. I got the Mega Arms from Figs and I have toe links on order, next will be BC/Swift COs.
While I am waiting for the Figs toe links I decided to install an F sport sway bar temporarily and the rub seems to be gone. I tried the car yesterday on a test track that has some turns with elevation change and I had no rub. I think I had it down to cornering load and the sway bar limited the body roll enough to stop it. I'll probably leave the bar installed with the new suspension now that I have it.

If I had to do it from scratch I would probably go with 295s but now that the hard part is done I'm very happy to have the PSS 305s that Mike and Figs had picked out.
That being said I only have the stock Brigestones to compare this tire to on the ISF but I still see no reason to explore other tire options.

I think this will be the next tire that goes on the Supra when the NT05s are worn.
Would the fender need to be rolled with the 295's?
Old 07-01-12, 09:51 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jchong
Does anyone have pictures of this set up?

Originally Posted by elowderm
Would the fender need to be rolled with the 295's?
People say they get away with no roll using 295s but I can't say for sure since I have no experience with the 295s.

One thing I would like to mention in addition to my previous post is that I had all my challenges with completely stock suspension. Figs would know for sure but.......I'm sure that if my car had the Mega Arms and Toe Links before the wheels where fitted the fittment would have been more comfortable.
Old 07-02-12, 11:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Put these on the car in stock sizes a week ago. I'm not sure why anyone would complain about grip. They work just fine. I haven't tracked them yet, but the ride quality is better than the OEM Bridgestones. Only downside is they tramline much worse than the Bridgestones, so long freeway drives (Atlanta to Miami and back this weekend) with pavement grooves are not fun.
Old 07-04-12, 07:05 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I just ordered a set of PSS yesterday. They should be put on the car Friday. I will be sure to let you know my thoughts. I am sticking with 245/35ZR19 and 275/30ZR19 sizes. I expect that the dry traction advantage will be significant over my current Conti DWS tires, which are getting close to bald on the inter rear tires. I was considering going with an extreme performance summer tire like the RE11 or NT05, but finally decided I wanted a little better wet handling. I was having trouble hooking up with the DWS tires with just a Borla exhaust, but with the headers it is apparent I need a stickier footprint.
Old 07-08-12, 12:48 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

I just had the PSSs mounted today...they look and feel great so far, but I've only driven a few miles. I snapped a quick pic with my phone before pulling into the garage.
Attached Thumbnails Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires-michelin-pss.jpg  
Old 07-09-12, 06:10 AM
elowderm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good! I'm looking forward to getting mine.
Old 07-09-12, 06:57 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I posted this in another thread:

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I'm quite happy with my Bridgestone S-04 PPs. But, I would have chosen the Michelin PSS IF they came in size 285/30/19. Sadly they do not, and I did want to keep the height of the tire, with stock wheels, as close to stock as I could. I know a lot of you guys are happy with the 275/30/19, but they were just a wee bit to short for me, .4" less in OD. The 285/30/19 is .2" less in OD than stock.

IMHO, the ISF is under tired. A car that handles as well and has as much power as the F, needs wider tires (front and rear) to tame the beast. I have an F-Sport rear bar, and am extremely happy with the overall handling of my F.

The wider than stock Continental DWs were better than the stock Michelin PS2s, and the S-04s are a big improvement over the DWs.

The current reviews and surveys have the PSS rated first with the S-04 rated second. The rest of the bunch seem to be also rans. There was an excellent review this month in Car & Driver. The S-04 did quite well against the PSS in all tests except the Dry Autocross test. So, for now at least, it seems that the PSS is the benchmark

My wife's ES is shod with Michelins, and my truck came with Generals, but I sold the stock wheels and tires and put on 18" alloys with Michelins. My F was originally on the dealers lot with chrome stock wheels and Bridgestone RE050As, I made the dealer put on non chromed wheels with Michelin PS2s. So yep, I've had good luck and like Michelin. it's just that size thing

Again, just my thoughts.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 07-09-12 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-09-12, 11:10 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

I have about 50 miles on the PSS tires now, with a good mix between wet and dry roads. I can say I am very impressed so far. Both dry and wet grip is impressive, but the most noticeable change is the crisp turn in response now. The DWS tires provided good overall grip but felt a little sluggish on turn in. I am very happy.