IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

fancy lug nuts???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 08:34 PM
seimsag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fancy lug nuts???

So I've seen the ads for the aftermarket lug nuts - anodized blue, red, green, purple, titanium look etc etc. I'm a sucker for them just because they look cool. My question is, can I just replace my stock lug nuts with these with no problem? Do I need one of those teflon coated sockets so I wont scratch them? Any down side to running these? Are they safe, reliable? Which ones do I buy? I did a search and found a site warning about cheap knockoffs that purport to be the real thing. I have a 2008USB ISF with stock wheels and think a blue anodized set would look really cool. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-25-11, 08:59 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

One issue is that these are usually conical engagement and not the flange type that come with the Stock wheels. I have found a deep socket to get full engagement on the aluminum lugs is import so you do not gall them up or more importantly overstress or strip them.

Aluminum lugs will require a lot more care, especially when it comes to torque. No impact gun use and from what I have found when investigating reslling them is that they all seem to be made in China and rebranded under 20 different retail names. I think lugs do save a good amount of weight, will you be able to notice, probably not. But they make a nice wheel setup pop even more IMO.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 10-25-11, 10:49 PM
seimsag
Driver School Candidate

Default torque

That brings up another question - what do I torque these to?
Old 10-27-11, 10:28 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ 76 ft. lbs.
Old 10-27-11, 10:56 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Pay the extra money for Ti (Titanium) lug nuts. more reliable and less likely to strip/fail. However they cost about 10x the price.
http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/me...Code=90304-T1R
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLOX-Ti-Lug-...#ht_1149wt_992

NOTE: above nuts are not compatible with factory wheels, they are tapered

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 10-27-11 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-27-11, 12:25 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

I'm using T1-R titanium. I really was shocked how light they are. I thought they sent me the wrong box til I opened it. Each lug is about the weight of a couple paper clips. Remarkable how light and strong titanium is.
Old 10-28-11, 01:43 PM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Light weight lug nuts, IMO, are all for show. The amount of rotational mass they reduce is significant only if you're looking for the last 0.1 second on the track. Other than that, I think they are a nuisance for a road car. You always have to remind the guys at the tire shop to not use impact wrenches on them, and they're oh-so-easy to steal.
Old 10-28-11, 01:44 PM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikefate
I'm using T1-R titanium. I really was shocked how light they are. I thought they sent me the wrong box til I opened it. Each lug is about the weight of a couple paper clips. Remarkable how light and strong titanium is.

Titanium as an element is quite soft. Titanium alloys, on the other hand............
Old 10-28-11, 02:01 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FIGS
One issue is that these are usually conical engagement and not the flange type that come with the Stock wheels. I have found a deep socket to get full engagement on the aluminum lugs is import so you do not gall them up or more importantly overstress or strip them.

Aluminum lugs will require a lot more care, especially when it comes to torque. No impact gun use and from what I have found when investigating reslling them is that they all seem to be made in China and rebranded under 20 different retail names. I think lugs do save a good amount of weight, will you be able to notice, probably not. But they make a nice wheel setup pop even more IMO.

Fig
Are there these types of lug nuts that will work on OEM wheels with the correct flange?
Old 10-28-11, 02:04 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by seimsag
So I've seen the ads for the aftermarket lug nuts - anodized blue, red, green, purple, titanium look etc etc. I'm a sucker for them just because they look cool. My question is, can I just replace my stock lug nuts with these with no problem? Do I need one of those teflon coated sockets so I wont scratch them? Any down side to running these? Are they safe, reliable? Which ones do I buy? I did a search and found a site warning about cheap knockoffs that purport to be the real thing. I have a 2008USB ISF with stock wheels and think a blue anodized set would look really cool. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Stock Wheels = Stock Lug Nuts.........

Painting your stock Lug Nuts Blue, would be the safest bet....

~ Joe Z