IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-11, 05:22 PM
pitt03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ISF?

I posted this question on another board but it looks like this one is a bit busier. Any help would be appreciated.

I know the advice threads are usually met with hate on forums, but I figured I'd give it a chance anyway. For the record, I've done the search thing (this is why I'm close to pulling the trigger on a car). At this point, I'm looking for owners of these fine vehicles to give me their recommendation as to what they would do in my situation.

I currently drive an 08 BMW 335i tuned DCT. I'm extremely happy with the car, but the warranty is about to run out, I'm growing bored with it and I have an addiction to HP and large engines. After looking at several vehicles, I've narrowed down my choices to the following cars:

2011 ISF silver, loaded (60k) new
2012 ISF obsidian, loaded (65k) new
2008 M3 sedan, (50k) used 18k miles, manual
2011 M3 vert, (60k) used, 900 miles, manual

I know the M3/ ISF have this rivalry thing going on and there are fanboys on both sides of the isle. I'm not partial to any brand and I'm looking to you enthusiasts to find out if given the choice between these vehicles, which one would you pick? Most of the head-to-head reviews I've seen put the M3 ahead of the ISF. I won't be tracking the car, so performance isn't everything; although I want a large V8, high HP car to feel like it's supposed to. Are you happy with owning the ISF? Given a second chance, would you still purchase it? If I were to go with the ISF, is there any reason to go with the 2012 over the 2011? Is it worth the extra cash?

Finally, how has your experience been as a Lexus owner? The BMW dealer treatment here has been fantastic and has been one of the reasons I've looked at sticking with the brand.

I'd appreciate any honest feedback anyone is willing to provide. Thanks!
Old 10-16-11, 05:26 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first Lexus and I freaken love it! The 2011&12 are the same, so pick which color you like better.

I chose the ISF over the M because I loved everything about it! The interior was nicer, styling is top notch and mainly cause its a rare car to see
Old 10-16-11, 06:12 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
My first Lexus and I freaken love it! The 2011&12 are the same, so pick which color you like better.

I chose the ISF over the M because I loved everything about it! The interior was nicer, styling is top notch and mainly cause its a rare car to see
I had a hard time deciding between the ISF and the M3 also. In the end I selected the M3 sedan. I wanted a manual car since the M3 will not be my daily driver. There was something about me having a high revving V8 with a manual. I knew I would eventually get bored with a auto so I selected the M3. No regrets, the M3 is an awesome car. I bought it through BMW's European Delivery Program. Buying the M3 was actually cheaper then getting a new ISF.

Check out my thread here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-selected.html

Last edited by gsrthomas; 10-16-11 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-16-11, 06:17 PM
pitt03
Driver School Candidate

Here in Hawaii, Lexus wins the price comparisons...a new m3 runs 70k with no options.
Old 10-16-11, 06:19 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pitt03
Here in Hawaii, Lexus wins the price comparisons...a new m3 runs 70k with no options.
The European Delivery Program has its own invoice. If you are seriously considering a new ISF or M3. Check out the BMW European Delivery Program. I saved $8000 on the sticker price.

I got my new M3 for out the door with California high sales tax for: $61,200.
Old 10-16-11, 06:51 PM
pitt03
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
The European Delivery Program has its own invoice. If you are seriously considering a new ISF or M3. Check out the BMW European Delivery Program. I saved $8000 on the sticker price.

I got my new M3 for out the door with California high sales tax for: $61,200.
Who do you purchase through? The local BMW dealer?
Old 10-16-11, 06:57 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I would say drive both cars back to back to make a fair comparison and see what suits you.
Old 10-16-11, 06:57 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I believe the '12 has the new rim style (265 in rear, too). It depends on what you want really. If you want high HP and a large V8, I'd go with the F. The M3 sedan doesn't float my boat personally, but you might feel differently. Performance mods are prevalent in the BMW scene, so if you like that, then the M3 should be your pick. If I had to do it all over again, I would still choose the IS F, not because I already have one, but because Lexus has really done a stellar job at constantly improving the vehicle from its inception in 2008. The luxury aspect is not compromised, yet it clearly is a sports sedan. When I checked out the 2011 M3 both coupe and sedan because my girlfriend's brother was looking into that car, I didn't get that same luxurious feel, which was more important to me than performance modding availability or brand name. Test drive all four vehicles to see which is right for you. Best of luck!
Old 10-16-11, 07:02 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Who do you purchase through? The local BMW dealer?
Yes I purchased through my local BMW dealer. He sells cars to lots of people out of state also. If you are interested in his contact information let me know.
Old 10-16-11, 10:38 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

just go test drive both and see what u like.
Old 10-16-11, 10:50 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nor...ml#post6756951

'nuff said........................................
Old 10-16-11, 10:59 PM
pitt03
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
just go test drive both and see what u like.
I've driven both - I like both of them. I'm here because I want to see how owners feel about their ISFs after they've owned them for a few years and the luster has worn off.
Old 10-16-11, 11:12 PM
lexuswtf
Lexus Test Driver

I've driven both - I like both of them. I'm here because I want to see how owners feel about their ISFs after they've owned them for a few years and the luster has worn off.
now since you put it that way..... ... i bought my 2011 in December.... 'December to remember'.... everytime i drive the car it feels amazing.. i'm one of only three IS-F's in my immediate area (that i know of).. and i still get compliments almost everyother day... (good for my ego i guess ), I def don't have any regrets... especially knowing that any problems i may face in the future will not be MAJOR electrical issues like our German counter parts..

Not to take anything away from the German benchmark... but the IS-F has more than satisfied my needs for luxury and speed...

I hope this helps in your decisioning.... i just kinda rambled a little bit..
Old 10-17-11, 07:59 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll just start off saying I'm not a fanboy of the F, I love the M.

Like they say above^ the ISF has been improved significantly year to year, from fixing known issues and improving it every time. Torsen LSD is a huge improvement in 2011, which adds to the excellent handling the ISF already has. I shopped for a 08 M3 just like you, OP but the interior does not compare. Maintenance costs outside of warranty are ridiculous. I did not even test drive one because the interior of the ISF sold me, as well as the decades of Toyota reliability.

I also did not pursue a new BMW, since every single thing is an option in that car, I've seen M's without navigation! This should be standard in all sports luxury cars.

My GF has a '11 328i...yeah it's no M, but IMO the only thing I actually think trumps the F is the navi system, it is amazing, as well as the iPod interface.

I wanted a car with luxury, speed, and rarity, and the F accomplishes just this. It's a car that breaks necks and people know instantly that it's a the performance line of the IS. There are so many M3's out there now, and even regular 3-series that look like the M, so people have to do a double take.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-11, 11:54 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the M as well. It was my first choice to get. Unfortunately dealer didn't let me take if for a test drive. So I got to test the Lexus next and was offered a great deal and I never looked back.

Quick Reply: New ISF?