MachV Dyno day results for 3 IS-F's

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 09:30 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Interesting results - thanks for sharing.

I suspect that there could have been some sort of change in the dyno. It shows a 33HP increase in the stock F and 17HP your F with the same headers and different exhausts.

I don't think that engine break in will give a 10% increase. I don't think that going from a JoeZ to a Borla exhaust will give you an additional 17HP either. Granted there may be a increase but those numbers seem to be a little high to me.

The charts do show the mid-range improvements gained from the headers. That's golden for a street driven car and should be at the top of the mod list.

Agreed, and I'm sure James does as well..!!
Its never a good idea to try and directly compare dynos from same cars that are 3-6 months or even a 1 year apart....
I say if it can be done in the same week, with no other major variable changes then the results should remain consitent for that time table.
Weather, Summer/Winter Fuel blends, Engine Oil maintenace, Dyno service, Software upgrades, etc.. etc... this list goes on.

To me if finally seems James got back 17 of the 19 rwhp he mysteriously lost last June 2010..
If you follow along in his other thread.

Originally Posted by tgui
FWIW, all other car models present at the dyno day were showing spot on numbers for their modifications, as JoeZ seems to be implying calibration issues. This dyno remains a heart breaker of sorts.
^^ I am definitely implying some sort of unexplainable issues...
Especially when you can easily examine all of James' Dyno's from 2009, 2010 and now 2011 all done on the SAME EXACT DYNO.
There are some unexplainable dyno readings with his car in 2010... and in my honest opinion your car as well for that same time period.

Regards,

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-02-11 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-02-11, 03:38 PM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This just goes to show that the stock engine has more to give with just basic bolt-ons. I'd imagjne that you could walk away from some vehicles that a stocker couldn't. But I've gotta ask: What are you guys going to do when it comes time to smog your machine? I was actually thinking of Joe Z's exhaust but without the secondary cats, it won't pass visual (Southern California.) I asked someone who has built many exhaust systems for me in the past and he said "don't do it" due to the newness of my IS F. He thinks it may affect warranty. What say you?
Old 10-02-11, 06:26 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. Nice dynos.
Old 10-02-11, 08:56 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stratman
What are you guys going to do when it comes time to smog your machine? I was actually thinking of Joe Z's exhaust but without the secondary cats, it won't pass visual (Southern California.)
In New York and many other states, all you need to pass is no check engine light. They visually inspect brake pads, tires, brakes, wipers, all exterior lights, horn, etc.

If you're really worried about it, add secondary cats to your custom exhaust (if that's legal).

I asked someone who has built many exhaust systems for me in the past and he said "don't do it" due to the newness of my IS F. He thinks it may affect warranty. What say you?
I say that it won't affect your warranty but it's not my call. Ask your dealer.
Old 10-03-11, 03:30 AM
Super6
Driver

They also sell "empty" cats with no honey comb inside just for the external visual effect.
Old 10-03-11, 12:09 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job James, looks like you took top spot for DynoJet yet again. Nice under 70 degree dynos

~Dv8
Old 10-03-11, 02:08 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Re-dynoed the ISF with joez exhaust today. 368whp... i am beginning to think that my baseline which was 360ish was high
Old 10-03-11, 06:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
In New York and many other states, all you need to pass is no check engine light. They visually inspect brake pads, tires, brakes, wipers, all exterior lights, horn, etc.

If you're really worried about it, add secondary cats to your custom exhaust (if that's legal)...
This is not true in California. They couldn't care less if the car is falling apart as long as it visually complies with the factory emissions configuration, including the factory or CARB approved cats in the stock positions. The visual is where most fail, then they put the probe in the exhaust and this is where the rest of the failures are.
Old 10-05-11, 07:54 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to get an oem filter, clear the maf sensor, reset the ECO, reinstall the joe-z mufflers and go back for another dyno run... if nothing changes, then we will know for sure.
Old 10-05-11, 08:06 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DS2k
I'm going to get an oem filter, clear the maf sensor, reset the ECO, reinstall the joe-z mufflers and go back for another dyno run... if nothing changes, then we will know for sure.
If you clean the MAF, go back to stock filter and replace the mufflers you won't know which of those was causing a power loss. My suggestion is to just do the air filter and clean or replace the MAF. I've heard cleaning it doesn't always work.

The stock mufflers on your setup sound good and I'm certain you aren't losing much if any power with them in place. Plus I remember how you didn't care for the loud exhaust before.

Last edited by caymandive; 10-05-11 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-05-11, 09:50 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymandive
If you clean the MAF, go back to stock filter and replace the mufflers you won't know which of those was causing a power loss. My suggestion is to just do the air filter and clean or replace the MAF. I've heard cleaning it doesn't always work.

The stock mufflers on your setup sound good and I'm certain you aren't losing much if any power with them in place. Plus I remember how you didn't care for the loud exhaust before.
I need a new MAF?? well that sucks!

I might go with your advice, but the reason I wanted to switch the mufflers back to Joe-Z is to simply end any speculation the stock mufflers might generate. I might talk with MachV and see if I can arrange for back-to-back runs with these different variations.

How many miles do I need to drive the car after resetting the ECU?
Old 10-05-11, 10:13 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DS2k
I need a new MAF?? well that sucks!

I might go with your advice, but the reason I wanted to switch the mufflers back to Joe-Z is to simply end any speculation the stock mufflers might generate. I might talk with MachV and see if I can arrange for back-to-back runs with these different variations.

How many miles do I need to drive the car after resetting the ECU?
You may or may not need a new MAF, but if I were in your shoes and it turned out that the MAF was the culprit of the power loss I would just get a new one.

The back to back runs comparing stock mufflers to the JoeZ ones sound like a GREAT project! Let me know if/when you schedule this and I'll help you out. As far as resetting the ECU. You don't have to as the car adjusts pretty quick on it's own. For example I dyno'd my car pre-headers and dynoed immediately after install and picked up 40+hp, which I've still maintained a year and half later.
Old 10-07-11, 07:56 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Interesting results but on the same day a stock 2008 M3 put down 337 whp and 255 tq.
Old 10-25-11, 02:26 AM
paxdream
Driver School Candidate

I'm very Interested in the new results.
Old 10-25-11, 08:17 AM
madastep
Pole Position

now i'm excited, suppose to dyno on Nov 12th with a toyota/lexus meet, see how the JoeZ/PPE Header combo works out. /drool i'm hoping for close to 400

Quick Reply: MachV Dyno day results for 3 IS-F's