IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sad Day

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 05:21 PM
ObsidianF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sad Day

I had just dropped off daughter at the dance studio for two hour session and was heading back home with wife to pick up a few things before having dinner. Heading north bound on I-880 about 1/2 mile from Alvarado Blvd/Fremont exit at 6:15 PM . We were experiencing the usual traffic flow around this time of day. Car pool lane, View of the traffic ahead shows signs of slowing so I brake steadily and come to a smooth stop. As a reflex, I glance in rear view mirror to assess approaching traffic. I knew immediately that the approach was much too fast for her to be able to stop in time. The nose of the vehicle behind me visibly dips. I hear tires, and all I could do was brace for the impending impact. I didn't even have time to warn the wife about it.

Two impacts were immediately felt. Initial impact was from the car immediately behind me. We were shoved forward from that impact. Then immediately after that one, a second impact as that car was impacted from the car behind her and pushed into the back of my F again. DAMN!

First to arrive was Tow Truck who immediately called for CHP. Fire truck arrived next, followed by CHP, then paramedics. After all said and done, F was the only vehicle that drove away from scene after Tow driver help me "fold" rear bumper facia into trunk. Only two clips were still holding it onto the vehicle which I ripped it off of.
The occupants behind me had to be taken by emergency vehicle to hospital. Two cars behind me was leaking radiator fluid. CHP asked if we were alright. I replied we were OK. He grinned and said again, "Are you really alright? This is a very nice car." There was some comfort in knowing that the officer could appreciate a vehicle like ours.

I never imagined that my first image posting in this Forum of my IS F would be of one in this condition. I had just detailed her the day prior. :-(

It hurts to look at the pictures. Any recommendations for a good body shop in the East Bay Area?
Attached Thumbnails Sad Day-is-f-impact-1.jpg   Sad Day-is-f-impact-2.jpg   Sad Day-is-f-impact-5a.jpg  
Old 09-30-11, 05:25 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Sux doesn't even begin to describe it...
Old 09-30-11, 05:55 PM
spddemon
Pole Position

sorry about your ride. this is my fear in dc metro area to much texting going on here.
Old 09-30-11, 05:58 PM
iffy08
Rookie

Wow, sorry to hear that. It's just great to know you both walked away safe and not hurting.
Old 09-30-11, 06:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

omg sorry to hear that. please do make sure you and your wife are ok. sometimes neck pain won't start until a day or so later. if you ask me, you should go get yourself checked out regardless. it doesn't hurt, it goes to the insurance bill of the car(s) behind you anyway.

hope the car is ok. more than likely frame damage...
Old 09-30-11, 06:04 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

Damn....that is a sad day...glad to see you and the wife are ok. Hopefully the people that went to the emergency room are alright as well. Hope the car didn't get totaled.
Old 09-30-11, 06:06 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you're OK. Depending on your taste and insurance options, I wonder if it's possible to replace the bumpers with aftermarket ones (WALD, etc.).
Old 09-30-11, 06:06 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear and see that, good thing is you guys are safe.
Old 09-30-11, 06:28 PM
riboflavin
Driver

Sorry to hear that, man.

looks like you bought your car from magnussen's in Fremont. That's where I bought mine from, too.

I bring all of my cars to Dynamic Automotive in SF, it's near Cesar Chavaz exit on 101. It might be a bit too far from east bay but Mike does an amazing job and I highly recommend him
Old 09-30-11, 06:46 PM
BAUSauto
Former Sponsor

Damn that sucks... At least you are ok!!
Old 09-30-11, 07:00 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

Nothing you can do man...at least you guys are healthy and well. I hope you are able to get this resolved and get your car repaired asap. I have noticed that drivers are just getting crazier and crazier every day. IF THERE'S TRAFFIC SLOW THE F*** DOWN PEOPLE!! You wouldn't believe how many people I see swooping in and out of lanes when traffic is jammed...and they still get nowhere.

Makes me mad that you have to go through this because of other idiots on the road! I get that its called an accident but usually its just plain stupidity.

Good Luck buddy.
Old 09-30-11, 07:02 PM
SuprFleaJQ
Driver

Sorry to hear, but glad you are ok... I work right around that area, but I headed the opposite direction down 880S around the same time...
Old 09-30-11, 07:11 PM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, same thing happened to me in my E46 M3 back in 08. Glad to hear you're okay.
Old 09-30-11, 07:17 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

glad ur ok, don't worry ur car will be back on the road sooner or later. i say time to upgrade the bumper!
Old 09-30-11, 08:43 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spddemon
sorry about your ride. this is my fear in dc metro area to much texting going on here.
I freaken hate that! You'd be suprised how many people cut us off. Big red fire truck with lights and sirens

Glad you ok man! Doesn't look too bad

Quick Reply: Sad Day