IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is it worth to upgrade isf suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-11, 08:11 PM
kenysl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth to upgrade isf suspension?

Would like u folks input. Is it that much better?
Old 09-24-11, 08:35 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

that depends on ur preference. the ride quality does improve but u can just get better tires and it will solve that problem. handling will improve and u have the options of setting the height and dampening settings if u get coilovers. from what i hear if u go with aftermarket springs its still an improvement for ride quality is the impression i get from the owners who went that route. not sure whats ur reason for the upgrade so I can't really give u an idea. im on coilovers and i should have done it sooner but oh well.
Old 09-24-11, 08:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

It also depends on what you mean by improve. If you mean updating an '08 to '11 or '12 spec, no one here can honestly say because AFAIK, no one has done it yet. If you mean putting some aftermarket stuff on it, it still depends on what you mean by improve. Faster lap times or smoother street ride? Both could be called improvements, but they're going to be quite different.
Old 09-25-11, 02:24 AM
kenysl
Rookie

I don't track my isf or at least not in near future. So just improve ride quality and better handling when spirited driving on street. Looking at the kw v3 and debating to give it a shot. I guess I should upgrade all my tires first. I would like a review from the members that upgraded their suspension on 08 especially. Theres a significant lap time diff on paper at least between 08 and 11. Just thought if upgrade to coilover would uplift to 11 standard?!?!
Old 09-25-11, 05:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by kenysl
I don't track my isf or at least not in near future. So just improve ride quality and better handling when spirited driving on street. Looking at the kw v3 and debating to give it a shot. I guess I should upgrade all my tires first. I would like a review from the members that upgraded their suspension on 08 especially. Theres a significant lap time diff on paper at least between 08 and 11. Just thought if upgrade to coilover would uplift to 11 standard?!?!
No, they changed more than springs and shocks to get to the '11 and '12 specs. Pretty much the entire rear suspension got changed from the links to the knuckles to fix the geometry issues, then they changed the springs and shocks to get the most out of the new setup - pretty much what any race team would do if they were fixing it.

For street driving, just about everyone here who has put on the KWs has been happy with the improvement - but it won't make the car as good as the later models.
Old 09-25-11, 07:09 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

KW V3s are worth it for sure. I took my ISF to Venice beach when I had the stock suspension from Vegas and the ride was ok. Then I got the KWs and took a second road trip to Long Beach a while back. I had already noticed a much smoother ride around town. But I really noticed on the second road trip that the KWs really improve the ride quality in the F.
Old 09-25-11, 07:14 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

wat tires do u have on the F? the reason for the faster lap times are due to LSD and improved suspension. nuttin else has change besides the wheel style and new led drl for 11+ model and some other minor stuff. if u are lookin at the KW v3 they are very good. if u get anything else make sure u get the correct spring rates for the car as some vendors are selling coilovers with IS250/350 spring rates. post pics when ur done!

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No, they changed more than springs and shocks to get to the '11 and '12 specs. Pretty much the entire rear suspension got changed from the links to the knuckles to fix the geometry issues, then they changed the springs and shocks to get the most out of the new setup - pretty much what any race team would do if they were fixing it.

For street driving, just about everyone here who has put on the KWs has been happy with the improvement - but it won't make the car as good as the later models.
Old 09-25-11, 10:23 PM
kenysl
Rookie

Just changed my front to pss as my ad08 has aged. Already experiencing a much smoother ride and consider changing the back too. I thk pss is also very good in the wet in Comparison.
Old 09-26-11, 01:38 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

nice choice. PSS is 1 of the 3 tires i would go with. if the ride is that much better u don't really need to get an upgrade to your suspension if the ride is better. I would however upgrade at a later time when the springs and shocks are done.

Just changed my front to pss as my ad08 has aged. Already experiencing a much smoother ride and consider changing the back too. I thk pss is also very good in the wet in Comparison.
Old 10-07-11, 12:56 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

my question is if upgrading an '11 IS F with KW V3's would lead to an improvement on the track... (and street also).
Old 10-07-11, 01:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
my question is if upgrading an '11 IS F with KW V3's would lead to an improvement on the track... (and street also).
That's certainly what Lexus would like us to believe. Car and Driver went a LOT quicker at VIR with the 2011 setup compared to the 2008, to the tune of 9 seconds
Old 10-07-11, 01:45 PM
Linkseal
Driver

^Now I am feeling better with my 11"...lol
Old 10-07-11, 01:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I'm looking for a whole rear suspension setup from an '11 at the junkyard...
Old 10-07-11, 03:50 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lobux, what would be the whole rear suspension? dowes this include LCA and UCA as well??
Old 10-07-11, 04:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I'm talking the whole subframe, differential, and knuckles. I wouldn't care about axles, hubs, or brakes, but everything else, yes, I want it including shocks and springs.

Quick Reply: Is it worth to upgrade isf suspension?