IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Damn TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-11, 07:12 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a pain man. Thats why I just put my stock sensors in the spare tire in the trunk, no issues or irritations when switching wheels ect. And didn't have to buy anything.
Old 09-13-11, 07:27 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it seems to be only a pain cuz I live in the middle of nowhere with no Lexus dealerships around. That isn't a bad idea though Calitri. I'm sure I will get it resolved here very soon, just annoying to figure this all out. I guess I should have just stuck with going back home and putting the stock rims in the wifey's car and having them put those in.
Old 09-13-11, 07:33 PM
AAM6906
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt need to tell the dealership the serial numbers of each one, got oem ones and had them re-program to the new ones, i think if theyre oem it can read them when they go to program it.....
Old 09-13-11, 09:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

If you drop the pressure more than 4.7 psi in 3 seconds, the sensor will transmit its code and you can detect it with the right tools. So writing it down isn't mandatory at all.

The magic number for psi is under 28, but that's not how it calculates a low tire. The TPMS ECU looks for a percentage drop based on temperature and pressure compared to the value when the system was initialized. This is why it is important to initialize the system when you are at the pressure you want to run.
Old 09-14-11, 09:22 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

If they get these EZ sesnors to work (which I doubt), make sure they program as 2nd set.

If they did get into the TPMS system with their tool, they might have overided the main set of codes from your stock rims..
Which might be why your getting the light.

If your on on Main Set and park near your OEM wheels, if they are set to the right pressure, then the "Low Tire" light will go off.
(That is if they didn't mess with your original codes)

If you switch to 2nd set, you might get the error code or low tire as well if they weren't programmed right.

I did the same as Juanca and got a set of Toyota TPMS sensors verified to work on the IS Model.
Had the codes registered as my 2nd set for FREE..

FACT: ANY Toyota dealership can program these TPMS sensor ID codes as well.

It only takes 5 mins if you get a Tech that knows what they are doing with a Techstream Laptop.

_

This below LEXUS Forged Wheel PDF has an example of the Lexus / Toyota TPMS procedure.

The only difference I see, is that they didn't select "Register 2nd Set" because the TRD group used a Toyota Sequoia to write this doc.

http://is.sewellparts.com/pdf/PTR4530100.pdf

Good Luck

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-14-11 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-14-11, 12:55 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

Thanks for all the help guys. Went to discount tire...it was a no go...the sensors were working properly and communicating with their device properly but the ECU doesn't seem to read them. However the guy at discount knows a tech at the Toyota dealership that got me in contact with him directly.
So off to Toyota I go tomorrow to see if they can program the EZ sensors. He said he registered/calibrated aftermarket sensors yesterday so he is going to try to do that on these.

I guess there is no avoiding it and must be done by Toyota/Lexus dealership even if its an aftermarket sensor. I already have the vehicle set to 2nd so when he tries tomorrow it won't overide the main setting.
Old 09-14-11, 01:07 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

^^^^^ It was a NO GO the minute they installed those sensors. (Lack of knowledge)

How much did they charge your for the EZ sesnors ??

And of course their device is going to pick up their aftermarket sensors...

My suggestion is if the Toyota Tech can't register these aftermarket sensors (which needs to have 7 character ID codes as shown in my photos) then you can get your money back from Discount Tires easily..

Then you can buy 4 Oem sensors on Ebay for anywhere between $50-$99 for the set of four..
And then have Lexus or Toyota register the codes after discount tires remounts the new sensors for you..

The programming of the 2nd set of sensors is delegated by the Techstream laptop.. Not by the selection you make on the button setting..

You just have to make sure the Toyota or Lexes Tech understands that in the Laptop he will have to select “Register 2nd Set” so that your main set of TPMS ID codes remain in place and untouched.

Good Luck

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-14-11 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-14-11, 01:11 PM
Initial J
Driver

Originally Posted by Nate008
Thanks for all the help guys. Went to discount tire...it was a no go...the sensors were working properly and communicating with their device properly but the ECU doesn't seem to read them. However the guy at discount knows a tech at the Toyota dealership that got me in contact with him directly.
So off to Toyota I go tomorrow to see if they can program the EZ sensors. He said he registered/calibrated aftermarket sensors yesterday so he is going to try to do that on these.

I guess there is no avoiding it and must be done by Toyota/Lexus dealership even if its an aftermarket sensor. I already have the vehicle set to 2nd so when he tries tomorrow it won't overide the main setting.

i work for discount tires and i've reset many sensors on a lot of cars via new rims new sensor or what have you. basically got bought new sensors that were designed to fit many cars being it's an EZ (easy) sensor. go back to discount tire or call them up and ask if they actually cloned each other the new sensors to the old set of sensors. that's how you imprint the ID's of the old sensors into the new ones. another thing is watch what they do if they scan each sensor to read the exact air pressure in them see if they hook up a cable to under your steering rack, it's called "writting IDs" as i call it. also sometimes you have to scan the spare as well if the spare has a TPMS sensor in it as well to complete the scan process. i hope this helps, you can PM me if you have any questions.
Old 09-14-11, 01:54 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

Yea if the Toyota tech can't use these I will definitely be going back to discount for a refund. The sensors installed was under $200 which I thought was a fair price with balancing/labor costs being included in that price.

The car is out getting the OEM Ipod adapter kit installed right now so I won't be going back to discount and questioning there methods of installation unless the Toyota tech has no luck programming them.

Man this is some useful stuff I learned especially about the main/2nd setting. I will definitely remind them when I drop it off tomorrow to put them under the 2nd setting and I will initialize them per the manual before I drive off. Now just gotta hope the tech can make the EZ sensors work. I saw some places charging $250 or more for OEM sensors so I thought this would be a cheaper/easier route.

Once again I want to thank you all for your help/input. I think it was a lack of knowledge fail on all ends including myself.
Old 09-14-11, 01:58 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Initial J
i work for discount tires and i've reset many sensors on a lot of cars via new rims new sensor or what have you. basically got bought new sensors that were designed to fit many cars being it's an EZ (easy) sensor. go back to discount tire or call them up and ask if they actually cloned each other the new sensors to the old set of sensors. that's how you imprint the ID's of the old sensors into the new ones. another thing is watch what they do if they scan each sensor to read the exact air pressure in them see if they hook up a cable to under your steering rack, it's called "writting IDs" as i call it. also sometimes you have to scan the spare as well if the spare has a TPMS sensor in it as well to complete the scan process. i hope this helps, you can PM me if you have any questions.

^^ Spares in the Lexus IS do not have sensors...

The idea of him buying the second set was to avoid touching his "Main Set" of senors in his oem wheels..

The IS model as the ability to register TWO different sets of sensor ID's.

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-14-11 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-14-11, 05:05 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I understand this correctly, Discount will clone the OEM sensors and apply de IDs into the EZ sensors. On top of that they need to make sure that the EZ sensors will work on the same frequency as OEM, otherwise the TPMR (receiver) won't be able to read the signal. Because of this procedure Discount won't need to program the new set into the 1st or 2nd set because both sets will work as the 1st set.

Currently most Toyota models (including Lexus and Scion) use Toyota Pacific sensors, a quick link to the correct set is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...item35b5257c78

Good luck!
Old 09-14-11, 05:35 PM
Initial J
Driver

yeah to my understanding if the sensors are the same MHz's then it should be fine.
Old 09-14-11, 11:31 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Nate008
Yea if the Toyota tech can't use these I will definitely be going back to discount for a refund. The sensors installed was under $200 which I thought was a fair price with balancing/labor costs being included in that price.

The car is out getting the OEM Ipod adapter kit installed right now so I won't be going back to discount and questioning there methods of installation unless the Toyota tech has no luck programming them.

Man this is some useful stuff I learned especially about the main/2nd setting. I will definitely remind them when I drop it off tomorrow to put them under the 2nd setting and I will initialize them per the manual before I drive off. Now just gotta hope the tech can make the EZ sensors work. I saw some places charging $250 or more for OEM sensors so I thought this would be a cheaper/easier route.

Once again I want to thank you all for your help/input. I think it was a lack of knowledge fail on all ends including myself.
I'm still not too sure how the Toyota Tech is going to get these aftermarket sensors cloned or registered...

Usually dealerships do not carry aftermarket sensor programs or tools...

~ Joe Z
Old 09-15-11, 06:34 AM
Nate008
Pole Position

Not sure either Joe. He said he just did it though do he said to give it a try. Going to be dropping it off here shortly.
Old 09-15-11, 12:20 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

Thank you Toyota!

The lights are finally gone! lol. I talked to the tech specifically and told him to program them under the 2nd set which he did. When I got in the vehicle I initialized the system through the satellite buttons per the manual and everything seems good to go now.

Best part of all this was they did it for free when they said they were going to charge me when I dropped it off this morning. He was even kind enough to write the 7 digit codes for all 4 sensors on a piece of paper and give it to me for future reference. Now I can finally take photos on my interior showing of the LED's without warning lights in the picture lol.

Thanks for all your help/input guys. I def learned alot about our car/cars in general just from starting this thread.

Quick Reply: Damn TPMS