IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF Headers for California

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 09:23 AM
meade916
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ISF Headers for California

hey guys, a little help here please. I want some headers for my '11 ISF, but this is a complicated and expensive job from what i have read (and the .pdf for sikky headers). This is something i only want to do once and not remove every 2 years. I need a set of headers that are good to do for California, with the Carb number stamped on them so it can pass smog when the time comes. I know i need aftermarket Cats to go with that too so if you know the exact method for doing this AND being smog legal, i would appreciate it! I already have an ISS Forged Exhaust but its cat-back. I am guessing i will need to have the cats welded into the ISS system (once the headers are in place) but im not sure.

also, do they make a stainless cat? I would hate to have a sick *** set of headers, a sick exhaust, and a brown, ugly cat welded in the middle

thanks in advance!
Old 09-08-11, 09:28 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

good luck with this. subscribed to see ideas.
Old 09-08-11, 09:48 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Not likely to ever happen. We couldn't even get a single turbo equivalent for the Supra approved by CARB. It's expensive, takes a very long time, and did I mention it's EXPENSIVE? Nobody is going to spend $150k for CARB approval (which is not guaranteed), especially when CARB is now cracking down on aftermarket cats - many cars are not allowed to run anything but the OEM setup or it will fail the visual because they must have an EO number stamped on the aftermarket cat to qualify.

More info here.

This is just one of the reasons I left California after 24 years in Sacramento and dealing with Smog Check II.
The following users liked this post:
IronNam (01-30-18)
Old 09-08-11, 09:48 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I believe you're already illegal with your exhaust in California. You have removed the secondary catalytic converters from the OEM exhaust system with the installation of the ISS. Yes, it is cat back, but cat back from the primary cats. The F has two cats per side. And, I believe California has a db law, and from what I've heard the ISS exhaust exceeds that threshold.

As far as Carb number, I don't think so. To obtain a Carb exemption a header manufacturer would have to conduct emission tests that from what I understand are prohibitive in cost considering the small customer base. I have a full header and exhaust system with after market cats, but I live in an area of Arizona with no emissions inspections. If you want an exhaust that's Compliant with Carb you must remain stock.

Lou
Old 09-08-11, 09:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I believe you're already illegal with your exhaust in California.....If you want an exhaust that's Compliant with Carb you must remain stock.

Lou
This is exactly correct.
Old 09-08-11, 10:03 AM
riboflavin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need to smog your car for 5 years so If I were you, I'd just get whatever aftermarket headers that's out there.

Just be careful not to get pulled over...
Old 09-08-11, 10:10 AM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Steve,

You shouldn't need to smog for 5 years...also, surely you've gotta know a guy who'll pass you right? Plenty of guys who'll do that here in Sac!

And I think Lou is right...the ISS exhaust isn't legal here in CA...but neither is tint on the front windows, most intakes, etc etc. Stupid laws...

Last edited by DexRox512; 09-08-11 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-08-11, 10:38 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Isn't CA great there is always a law or regulation for you to get through.
Old 09-08-11, 12:04 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

If you get headers, you will need cats or your car will be unbearable. The cats will have to be welded into your ISS Forged system, and there are a lot of stainless steel aftermarket cats.

But like everyone already mentioned, you are already illegal. Just find someone you know well do does smog checks, and you shouldn't have that big of a problem.
Old 09-08-11, 12:07 PM
crazymikie
Driver

...and CARB is just another reason why CA is bankrupt. I say good riddance...
Old 09-08-11, 01:58 PM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

I've heard of people in IL who buy (maybe even rent) property across the border in WI because they don't have emissions testing. Then they can register their built cars out of state.

NV doesn't have state income tax either, not sure about their emissions tho.. could be a good option to "rent space" at a friend's or something.
Old 09-08-11, 04:57 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in CA and I have headers on my IS-F. I won’t have to worry about smog until April 2014. New cars have six year smog abatement fee on our registration. even if the car is sold pre owned. 2008's don’t need to be smoged until 2014. Your 2011 won’t be hit until 2017.
If you’re caught for whatever reason then that’s a different story. It’s virtually impossible to see the headers to begin with.
I’m pretty picky with sound and I originally thought the JoeZ was loud. Whether it broke in or I got used to it, I ended up loving it. Then I got the headers on w/o cats and although it sounded louder and a raspier, I loved it even more. I just installed cats and the rasp is all but gone. The tone is a bit quieter too. Not like just exhaust but only a bit louder. The biggest plus is no more gas smell. I still miss the sound without the cats.
Worst case scenario is registering the car in a biennial smog exempt county. My race car is registered in a county I’ve never been to. A UPS mailbox was all I needed to open.

~Dv8
Old 09-08-11, 10:21 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The reaons why there is not a set of JoeZ PTS headers is because carb laws are so strict in CA... heard it from the man himself. He wasnt going to build something he could nt run on his own car.
Old 09-09-11, 08:20 AM
meade916
Lead Lap

i guess that answers my question lol - i remember now why i (back in the day) stopped messing with making my cars faster and started making the systems louder instead. Forget the headers, time to start mapping out some beats
Old 09-10-11, 07:18 AM
familycar
Rookie

Don't be a *****. Just do it and pay a guy to pass you when the time comes. I register my cars out of state tho since I'm military u cant see the headers anyway. You'd only fail a sniffer. Just don't drive like an ******* and you'll be good. I've driven modded cars in Cali since 2000. My integra is insanely illegal lmao. But I drive normal and keep the car's look simple

Quick Reply: ISF Headers for California