Front Bearing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 06:52 PM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front Bearing Replacement

Hi all,
Well it looks like, along with with the water pump, there may be an issue with the front bearings on the IS F (at least the 2009 model). I had to have my water pump replaced at about 16,500 miles as it was leaking, though it was a small amount over time. I also had noticed a groaning noise that got worse over time from the left front wheel. Sounded like a bearing to me and one of the Lexus techs agreed. They replaced the hub and bearing assembly. Both were done under warranty. During the write up the service manager printed a report on my IS F chronicling all that has been done to date on it. It appears that the wheels were changed from N91032's to N91225's. Does anyone know what the N91032 wheels look like?
Old 07-13-11, 07:03 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Just curious but did you buy your IS F new?
Old 07-13-11, 07:44 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Interesting, this is the first I have ever heard of a wheel bearing failing in an ISF. Hopefully it is an isolated incident. Glad to hear they took care of you without issue.

Also never heard of the wheel change till 2010
Old 07-13-11, 08:06 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Interesting, this is the first I have ever heard of a wheel bearing failing in an ISF. Hopefully it is an isolated incident. Glad to hear they took care of you without issue.

Also never heard of the wheel change till 2010
I personally have seen seven separate wheel bearings changes on IS-F's. So, I would not call this an isolated incident. Seems more like a bad run of bearings, or improperly torqued bearings to me.
Old 07-13-11, 08:41 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

To the OP, did the groaning start when you are backing up? Mine is doin this now. Also, it is more apparent when I have not driven the car in the days.
Old 07-13-11, 08:50 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
To the OP, did the groaning start when you are backing up?
Typically a bad wheel bearing will make noise while turning due to the increased weight on the outer corner. After a while it will make noise all the time.
Old 07-14-11, 05:59 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

To the OP, did the groaning start when you are backing up? Mine is doin this now. Also, it is more apparent when I have not driven the car in the days.
I believe the noise you are hearing is from rust forming on the surface of the rotors from sitting too long.
Old 07-14-11, 06:51 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ming15237
I believe the noise you are hearing is from rust forming on the surface of the rotors from sitting too long.
I have this suspicion as well. Thanks Ming..
Old 07-14-11, 06:52 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Typically a bad wheel bearing will make noise while turning due to the increased weight on the outer corner. After a while it will make noise all the time.
Good to know. Thanks Tenspeed...
Old 07-14-11, 11:54 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced the passenger side wheel bearing (under warranty) just before I discovered the water pump failure.

It was extremely noisy, and progressively worse (as you would expect).
Old 07-14-11, 02:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

They're not the stoutest of bearings. I got the front brake pads pushed back when I hit the track out gators in turn three at CMP. I had to pump the brakes twice to get pedal again. The cause is 100% bearing and hub flex.

If you research wheel bearings or get SAE's newsletter, you'll see the Cadillac CTS-V has some pretty exotic wheel bearings for a street car. I wish they were available for the F.

All that said, I've not had any other issues despite the track time on the car.
Old 07-14-11, 03:52 PM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No. The noise was most notable at above 50 mph when applying slight steering to the right. When steering to the left it went away. Also was constant on certain roads where there are slight curves that require steering to the right. Quite frankly, I'm surprised by the bearing issue as according to what I'd read, the front hubs and bearings were designed to be able to take the abuse of track work. The rotors rust up pretty quickly (even after just washing the car), especially if your car sits outside. So in your case it probably is just that being cleaned off by the initial braking.
Old 07-14-11, 04:06 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They're not the stoutest of bearings. I got the front brake pads pushed back when I hit the track out gators in turn three at CMP. I had to pump the brakes twice to get pedal again. The cause is 100% bearing and hub flex.

If you research wheel bearings or get SAE's newsletter, you'll see the Cadillac CTS-V has some pretty exotic wheel bearings for a street car. I wish they were available for the F.

All that said, I've not had any other issues despite the track time on the car.
Do you do the thing of aligning pads before hard braking? I forgot what the term is called... right before you go into a corner and right before you do hard braking, you slightly push the pedal to get the pads and rotors aligned up

I wish I had a reverse dictionary
Old 07-14-11, 07:07 PM
gqisf
Rookie

I've replaced 3 bearings on mine. LF, RF, and RR. The left front was the worst but the funny thing is it would make noise unloaded, which normally they're noisy under load.
Old 07-14-11, 09:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
Do you do the thing of aligning pads before hard braking? I forgot what the term is called... right before you go into a corner and right before you do hard braking, you slightly push the pedal to get the pads and rotors aligned up

I wish I had a reverse dictionary
Never heard of it. Yes, I do a pedal test just to see if it's soft, but it's not to align the pads, only check brake pressure. When the pedal sinks lower than you expect, you'll be pumping a couple of very quick pumps to see if there's anything there at all.

Quick Reply: Front Bearing Replacement