IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Water Pump leaking

Old 08-13-12, 10:19 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbtmatt
Took the F into Crown Lexus (Ontario, CA) for the water pump leak. Hugo was great and got me in and out quickly with a loaner vehicle. He said a little leakage is "normal" for the water pump but they would take a look at it and replace if necessary. He also said there was a recall on the accelerator and would replace it at the same time.

He called me around 5pm the next day and said the car was done. Water pump was replaced and the recall was done. Everything was done under warranty and didn’t cost me a dime.

Very good experience at Crown Lexus!
Wait a minute. What's this about an alternator recall?
Old 08-13-12, 11:03 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I wouldn't put a lot of trust in someone who told me a little leakage is normal. ZERO leakage is normal. If a water pump leaks even a drop, the seals are on their way out for sure. There is a hole drilled in the pump body to allow seepage specifically to see when this happens so the tech knows it's time to replace the pump before it fails catastrophically.
My coolant was low last year and I simply added distilled water. I have been monitoring the level every month since adding it, and did not notice any change in the level. I don't see any pink coolant anywhere at the bottom, but is there any way to check for a little leakage, without moving the hoses out of the way? I just want to be cautious.
Old 08-13-12, 11:06 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

You'll see pink crystallized fluid coming from the bottom of the front of the pump if it is leaking. Pics are here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6971909-post56.html
Old 08-13-12, 12:09 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I believe they said accelerator and not alternator...
Old 08-14-12, 02:45 AM
Rbtmatt
Rookie

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
It was some sort of accelerator recall, not the alternator. I didn't ask to many questions. Just assumed it was part of the Toyota recall.
Old 08-14-12, 07:18 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbtmatt
It was some sort of accelerator recall, not the alternator. I didn't ask to many questions. Just assumed it was part of the Toyota recall.
Mine has had the recall as well, shows up on svc history as "9LG PEDAL AND FLOOR MOD, ECU REPROGRAMMING"
Old 08-14-12, 07:48 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^A lot of us, me included, that refused the recall. Me, for two reasons.

1. I don't like the shape of the new gas pedal.

2. There is a "safety" feature that cuts off the flow of gas when you step on the brake. There are times when cornering that I use the gas and brake at the same time.

These changes came about when that loaner ES350 with the wrong floor mats crashed and killed a family in SC a few years ago.

Lou
Old 08-21-12, 09:59 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well while i was getting my headers installed today i got a call from the installer that there was coolant all over. Looks like I'm going to be going to the lexus dealership soon for a new water pump.
Attached Thumbnails Water Pump leaking-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 08-21-12, 11:10 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ Zapa did you notice a change in water temp at all?
Old 08-21-12, 11:37 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zapa, you drive an 08, get that water pump replaced ASAP. AFAIK the water pump was never a recall but everyone knew about the problem, the dealer may charge you for it because by now your car might be out of warranty.
Old 08-21-12, 11:49 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

how would exhaust and headers possibly cause a problem with my water pump. I called lexus and left a message. They should call me back soon.
Old 08-21-12, 11:54 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ I was talking about how old your car is, or if it has 50K miles already, unless you have the extended warranty.
Old 08-21-12, 11:56 AM
GenuineKid
Driver

Originally Posted by Juanca
Zapa, you drive an 08, get that water pump replaced ASAP. AFAIK the water pump was never a recall but everyone knew about the problem, the dealer may charge you for it because by now your car might be out of warranty.
I have an 08, and i took my car in for water pump last month but all they did was a patch up work and said no replacement is needed. Yesterday i got my headers installed and the mechanic showed me the leak again. Its not dripping drastically and i do still see coolant betweent the low and full.

Thank god for extended warranty!! Plus dealership told me if it does leak again they will replace it next time around and looks like they are now..
Old 08-21-12, 11:57 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

O i read that wrong because i am paranoid that i will have a problem and then they decline my warranty because i have headers. Funny what the mind can do. I have 38000 on my car and got it certified pre owned a year ago i think ill be fine.
Old 08-21-12, 12:13 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juanca
^^^ I was talking about how old your car is, or if it has 50K miles already, unless you have the extended warranty.
Factory warranty for drivetrain is 70k or 6yrs. My car was well over 50k when I got my waterpump done which was cover under warranty and also my car doesnt have extended warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water Pump leaking