IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RR-Racing Street Supercharger Kit - Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-19, 06:56 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RR-Racing Street Supercharger Kit - Review

As some of you may know, my ISF was used as RR-Racings test mule for the soon to be releases "Street Kit". I have had the car back for about a month now and racked about 1500 miles and couldn't be happier with the results.

First lets start with the company:

I have nothing but good things to say about Rafi and his team at RR-Racing. I trailered the car from Chicago to PA and got to chance to bs with him and even go for a ride in his blue car. The guy knows his stuff and has built one hell of a track car with his ISF. The entire 5 week process of development felt long due to the excitement but was to be expected as the kit didn't exist when I dropped the car off. I had updates on the vehicle and if problems occurred I was made aware. I would have zero hesitation referring someone to RR-Racing after my experience was said and done.

On to the kit:

This street kit doesn't have a intercooler so the throttle response is just insane. The supercharger comes on quick and has smooth linear power all the way through red line. THIS THING JUST KEEPS PULLING AND PULLING! The install is very clean and frankly mind blowing when you pop the hood and you see what little room everything has. Because of the no intercooler, you have to either blend E85 or go with a meth injection kit to help with air temp cooling. Being from Illinois I went with the 93/E85 blend because its just everywhere but also opted to go with the meth kit as well just incase I don't feel like blending. If your worried about blending don't be! We installed a Ethanol content cause thats makes getting that perfect percentage easy every time. Rafi tested both scenarios and achieved 545 WHP on E37 and 525 WHP on meth. So that's about 130WHP over FBO and a tune. He not only dyne tuned it but he tweaked it a bit on the street as well. He personally drove the car daily for a bit to make sure everything was ok which I though was incredible and shows he actually cares about what he puts his name on. All in all I wouldn't hesitate buying this kit again. Its super reliable and incredibly safe as I watch and record all engine data through Techstream from time to time. Every ISF owner needs this kit its literally night and day. If your on the fence and close to Chicago hit me up and I'll take you for a rip!

Recently I joined a friend at Import Face Off and the car nailed down a 11.4 at 124 MPH. Keep in mind the the car is running heavy Avant Garde wheels and Continental DW street tires on that run. If you watch the video posted below you can hear the traction issues. All in all I wouldn't hesitate buying this kit. Its super reliable and incredibly safe as I watch and record all engine data through Techstream. Every ISF owner needs this kit.

Cars Mods:
- RR-Racing Street Supercharger Kit
- RR-Racing USRS
- RR-Racing AOS
- PPE Headers
- X-Force Exhaust
- Avant Garde M510 Wheels with 245/35/19 in front and 285/30/19 out back
- Swift Sport Springs in FRONT only. Struts and rear springs are stock

Obviously has more than just those items if you look at the exterior but for performance thats it

The following 14 users liked this post by nickj718:
21ce (12-26-20), ac253189 (02-19-20), BS ISF (10-07-19), DaveGS4 (10-08-19), lobuxracer (10-27-19), mike33 (10-08-19), MileHIFcar (10-07-19), MLRSTJ (10-07-19), Positron (10-07-19), Rickna (10-07-19), RRRacing (10-07-19), Vervish (10-07-19), Vitveet (10-07-19), WhyHateTho (01-14-21) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

10-07-19, 03:15 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
1. You should have an intercooler on there unless you’re running methanol 100% of the time. And, quite frankly, it just shows me that the shop does poor quality designs if they’re okay with not designing it: it’s the lazy way to make these. It makes install easier with the very detrimental risk of extremely high IATs. And it’s not going to greatly impact throttle response, either.
2. 130whp gain with a blower WITH methanol is pretty bad. Those are numbers you would expect from a small blower with low boost, on 93, and no methanol.

I’ve made bigger gains from a P1 on 8 psi with no methanol.

Honestly, you should have expected in the high 500whp or low 600whp range with methanol. So, please don’t be impressed by this work, it’s pretty mediocre. These are the gains you get from $3,500 blower kits like Torqstorm.
Another negative post from this non ISF owner (who spends an awful lot of time in this forum, with nothing good to say about the ISF). Haven't figured out why he is he is here honestly.

V.
Old 10-07-19, 07:41 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Congrats - looks like a great street/strip setup! Boys at RR are doing an amazing job supporting our platform..

Did you do a compression check before install?

Last edited by Vervish; 10-07-19 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-07-19, 07:49 AM
JWarr00
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Even the way the engine cover was chopped looks like a precision/attention to detail affair... not to mention that the rest of it looks great.

Have zero desire for a S/C kit, but am impressed every time by the workmanship and care RR display whenever anyone shares their stories.
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (10-07-19)
Old 10-07-19, 07:50 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Very Nice, that S4 next to you was hauling too.
Old 10-07-19, 07:55 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vervish
Congrats - looks like a great street/strip setup! Boys at RR are doing an amazing job supporting our platform..

Did you do a compression check before install?
Yes sir

The following 2 users liked this post by nickj718:
MLRSTJ (10-07-19), Vervish (10-07-19)
Old 10-07-19, 07:57 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JWarr00
Even the way the engine cover was chopped looks like a precision/attention to detail affair... not to mention that the rest of it looks great.

Have zero desire for a S/C kit, but am impressed every time by the workmanship and care RR display whenever anyone shares their stories.
I cut all the engine bay plastics. I cut the engine cover a little too arched but thank you for the compliment
RRRacing (10-07-19)
Old 10-07-19, 08:35 AM
JWarr00
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It still looks good, sure it would have been nicer to stay closer to the curve of the tube right there, but to me you managed to retain aesthetics while still primarily pushing for function, win-win
Old 10-07-19, 08:37 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Big thanks to Nick for bringing his car out to our shop, and also for his patience as we worked out a few bugs!

I have personally driven Nicks car extensively on the road, and had an absolute blast driving it. At the current power level, it really is a good balance appropriate for a daily driven ISF, not too powerful that it becomes maniacal, and plenty powerful enough to make it a legitimately fast car. On one of my tuning runs in Mexico, some dude in a Alfa Guilia Quadrifolglio tried to keep up, but it wasn't even close. The Guilia is no slouch, and is certainly a seriously fast sedan.

Anyway, we are working out some bugs on our website, so the Street kit should be listed soon on our "Power Upgrades" category for the ISF.

-Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following 7 users liked this post by RRRacing:
isfvss (10-08-19), mike33 (10-08-19), MileHIFcar (10-07-19), MLRSTJ (10-07-19), nikolaione (02-18-21), Positron (10-07-19), Vervish (10-07-19) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-19, 08:45 AM
minator
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice numbers, looks like a blast!
Old 10-07-19, 09:43 AM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What’s the price point of the kit?
Old 10-07-19, 12:50 PM
nickj718
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISF.Jimmy
What’s the price point of the kit?
$6600 is what they will be listing it for. No gauges or install just the kit plus shipping.
Old 10-07-19, 03:15 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

1. You should have an intercooler on there unless you’re running methanol 100% of the time. And, quite frankly, it just shows me that the shop does poor quality designs if they’re okay with not designing it: it’s the lazy way to make these. It makes install easier with the very detrimental risk of extremely high IATs. And it’s not going to greatly impact throttle response, either.
2. 130whp gain with a blower WITH methanol is pretty bad. Those are numbers you would expect from a small blower with low boost, on 93, and no methanol.

Honestly, you should have expected in the high 500whp or low 600whp range with methanol. So, please don’t be impressed by this work, it’s pretty mediocre. These are the gains you get from $3,500 blower kits like Torqstorm.
Another negative post from this non ISF owner (who spends an awful lot of time in this forum, with nothing good to say about the ISF). Haven't figured out why he is he is here honestly.

V.
The following 11 users liked this post by Vitveet:
BS ISF (10-09-19), Jwconeil (10-08-19), KPCresta (10-07-19), mike33 (10-08-19), MileHIFcar (10-07-19), MLRSTJ (10-07-19), nickj718 (10-07-19), Rossi (10-07-19), RRRacing (10-07-19), vraa (10-07-19), WhyHateTho (01-14-21) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-08-19, 12:16 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Can we get itemized response to dispute these from RR Racing? It'd certainly ease the minds of potential customers such as me.
Old 10-08-19, 01:16 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
Can we get itemized response to dispute these from RR Racing? It'd certainly ease the minds of potential customers such as me.
If you have technical questions, you are welcome to call us, ask for me, and I’d be happy to answer them.

That said, if I replied to every armchair expert on the Internet, I would go out of my mind. Let us just say that “expert” who offered his opinion, at a minimum, doesn’t have an ISF and doesn’t have any experience tuning an ISF. He also apparently hasn’t heard of RR Racing and the vast tuning and forced induction development we have have with Lexus ISF, RCF, etc. We (RR Racing) didn’t just pop up yesterday, we have many v8 supercharged customers who can attest to the quality of our products. Our tech posts, dyno charts, and positive testimonials are all over Clublexus, more than any other vendor by a wide margin.

Regarding Methanol/water injection. These systems are extremely common throughout the aftermarket industry. Even stock BMW M4 GTS comes with water injection system which allows them to run more boost and power on pump gas.

If you don’t trust yourself, the water/meth system can easily be setup to cut boost in the event you run out of fluid, or there is some technical fault.

Our gains with our new entry level street kit are absolutely great and on par with similar non-intercooled offerings from reputable BMW E92 v8 tuners like ECS (their m3 v8 base kit is also non-intercooled)

Rafi
The following 6 users liked this post by RRRacing:
21ce (12-26-20), Bast59 (10-09-19), Jwconeil (10-08-19), MileHIFcar (10-08-19), Positron (10-08-19), Vitveet (10-08-19) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-08-19, 01:54 PM
nickj718
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RRRacing
If you have technical questions, you are welcome to call us, ask for me, and I’d be happy to answer them.

That said, if I replied to every armchair expert on the Internet, I would go out of my mind. Let us just say that “expert” who offered his opinion, at a minimum, doesn’t have an ISF and doesn’t have any experience tuning an ISF. He also apparently hasn’t heard of RR Racing and the vast tuning and forced induction development we have have with Lexus ISF, RCF, etc. We (RR Racing) didn’t just pop up yesterday, we have many v8 supercharged customers who can attest to the quality of our products. Our tech posts, dyno charts, and positive testimonials are all over Clublexus, more than any other vendor by a wide margin.

Regarding Methanol/water injection. These systems are extremely common throughout the aftermarket industry. Even stock BMW M4 GTS comes with water injection system which allows them to run more boost and power on pump gas.

If you don’t trust yourself, the water/meth system can easily be setup to cut boost in the event you run out of fluid, or there is some technical fault.

Our gains with our new entry level street kit are absolutely great and on par with similar non-intercooled offerings from reputable BMW E92 v8 tuners like ECS (their m3 v8 base kit is also non-intercooled)

Rafi

Exactly what he said I monitor my intake temps through Techstream and I have never had a concern. Now granted I don't beat on the car or take it to the road course but if you plan to do that you should be getting the intercooler upgrade anyhow.

This is a company thats dedicated to the F platform not Vivid Racing or some junk company
Positron (10-08-19)

Quick Reply: RR-Racing Street Supercharger Kit - Review