JoeZ exhaust finally installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 08:09 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JoeZ exhaust finally installed

I finally got round the installation of the JoeZ exhaust on my IS-F

I bought it from Nautique over one month ago and after troubles with the French customs it finally made its way to me 2 weeks ago.

After waiting to no avail for a shop to do the install, I decided I would do it myself as on my previous cars so I had to order the proper tool for the lambda sensors removal which I got on Monday with the bolts and screws.

As the weather is nice and I am off work today, I decided to start the install this morning at 10:30AM

It is a JoeZ exhaust with the Random Tech cats, Nautique did replicate what Caymandive did. That is exactly what I wanted so I can pass the smog test without worrying.

Here the pictures when Nautique removed it from his car.

Unbolting everything was easier than expected but I had to remove 2 bars to get the Y pipe out which took me some time as the plastic trims had to be removed.
At noon it is finally out

There is a bit more space now

I then went for lunch before cracking on the rear section
The silencers did take me some time to remove as the bushing were a pain to slide off. Here they are next to the original exhaust

Finally the exhaust is just waiting for the silencers

then they are on at 2:30pm so it took me 3 hours to do the swap with a jack, 2 stands and the correct tools I am well pleased

I have not had a chance to drive around yet but the sound is definately deeper and more present but it is not too intrusive.
I will let you know how I find it after I drive a bit and it will then go back to the dyno
Old 05-04-11, 10:16 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good.... hope you're enjoying it!

how strict are the emissions regulations on your side of the pond??
Old 05-04-11, 10:34 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

The cars have to be tested every 2 years after the first 4 years. The maximum CO level has to be 0.3% at idle and 0.2% when revving and the lambda has to be between 0.97 and 1.03
Old 05-04-11, 11:15 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

^^^^Hold your breath on the inspections. I'm a little skeptical hose little RT cats. Call me crazy This bung extensions (added to the JoeZ behind the cats) are used to fool the ECM into thinking the stock cats are still there. There is a thread somewhere where a technical person explains how those extensions work, in any case I wish you well. And, you got a great deal on that exhaust The bung extensions on my Magnaflow cats, are much shorter and I don't throw a CEL. I have not been smog tested yet though, but I believe I'm OK.

Everything I just said, goes out the window if you don't have headers

Lou
Attached Thumbnails JoeZ exhaust finally installed-cat1s.jpg  
Old 05-05-11, 03:06 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

I am planning on getting the headers, I am just worried of the sound level now that I have driven with the exhaust.

I agree with you on the bung extension, they are just to fool the ECM and are not needed with the OEM headers
Old 05-05-11, 07:32 AM
iffy08
Rookie

Originally Posted by yemgi
I am planning on getting the headers, I am just worried of the sound level now that I have driven with the exhaust.

I agree with you on the bung extension, they are just to fool the ECM and are not needed with the OEM headers
Yemgi,
Many people have said the sound of the Joe Z exhaust reduces after a week or so. In my belief, after a week you just get used to the sound and it doesn't sound as aggressive to you. Again, I think that's solely because you've adapted to the sound.
Old 05-05-11, 01:52 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iffy08
Yemgi,
Many people have said the sound of the Joe Z exhaust reduces after a week or so. In my belief, after a week you just get used to the sound and it doesn't sound as aggressive to you. Again, I think that's solely because you've adapted to the sound.

I've had my JZ for 2 years now, and when I first put it on, I was ready to take it off. I called Joe to talk about larger resonators etc, went to a muffler shop about having the stock mufflers fittted to the JZ. Bottom line is that a few weeks later either the harshness disappeared or I got used to it but after 2 years now I would not want this car without the JZ exhaust they are a perfect fit together. So give it some time before you make a decision.

Good luck,

Gary
Old 05-05-11, 06:27 PM
Nautique
10th Gear

Glad you found time to install the pipes! I agree with the other comments and think it will take a couple weeeks to get used to the sound. I wasn't convinced initially, but later couldn't imagine the car without it.

What a bummer it was to drive the car after I removed the JoeZ exhaust to send it to you...WAY too quiet with stock mufflers, even with Sikky headers!

BTW - sooo glad nothing was damaged in shipping
Old 05-05-11, 06:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Very nice! What part of France?
Old 05-06-11, 01:33 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

Thank you guys for the comments, I think you are right as I drove it more yesterday and it did not annoy me as much. I am most probably getting used to it.
There is just when I try to keep a constant speed with light throttle where there is a kind of resonance in the cabin which may be a problem on long highway drives. When driving it as it should be it is fine now

Performance wise I am not sure yet but it seems the tires have more difficulty not to spin or it may be my driving that has changed

Here is a quick video I did yesterday :

YouTube - Lexus IS-F with JoeZ intake and exhaust

From outside, the sound is great
I will try to get it on a dyno shortly.

@flipside909 I live near Versailles, I will try to make a shoot in front of the castle but it is quite difficult to find a time where there is no bus or coach in front of it

@Mike thanks again for your help, everything bolted on fine no damage
Old 05-06-11, 05:35 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^Hold your breath on the inspections. I'm a little skeptical hose little RT cats. Call me crazy This bung extensions (added to the JoeZ behind the cats) are used to fool the ECM into thinking the stock cats are still there. There is a thread somewhere where a technical person explains how those extensions work, in any case I wish you well. And, you got a great deal on that exhaust The bung extensions on my Magnaflow cats, are much shorter and I don't throw a CEL. I have not been smog tested yet though, but I believe I'm OK.

Everything I just said, goes out the window if you don't have headers

Lou

These bung extensions were not installed this way to fool the ECM. In this case they were used to make the O2 sensors more accessible. For those with SIKKY headers all the ECM fooling is done through an electronic simulator.

Yemgi, congrats on the exhaust. I know you have been waiting a long time to get this installed! Now when are you going to get some headers?
Old 05-06-11, 07:14 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=yemgi;6367128]

@flipside909 I live near Versailles, I will try to make a shoot in front of the castle but it is quite difficult to find a time where there is no bus or coach in front of it

QUOTE]

Yea take a photo of your F in front of the Palace of Versailles. Fitting
Old 05-06-11, 08:34 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
Yemgi, congrats on the exhaust. I know you have been waiting a long time to get this installed! Now when are you going to get some headers?
Thank you James for making it possible

Headers should be there in about a month hopefully
Old 05-06-11, 08:40 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Congrats Yemgi..!!!

It's Great to know these systems are going Global now..

Your emissions system might be calculated differently..

It wouldn't hurt to reset your ECU: Resetting the IS-F ECU

Best Regards,

~ Joe Z
Old 05-06-11, 08:55 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

Thanks for the info, I will have a go at it.
As I have only driven around 200miles since it was installed it may help.
I went to the dyno earlier this afternoon and it made 412.6PS and 525Nm.
The fans on the dyno are a bit small and the temperature was 28°C. We had to sit 2 people in the back and 2 in the boot again as it kept spinning on the rollers.

Here is the graph (sorry, the printer was out of ink ...)

And the previous one with just the intake, temperature was 18°C

I will re-dyno it before and after the headers

Quick Reply: JoeZ exhaust finally installed