IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Passed emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 07:55 AM
jaslapp1
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passed emissions

Just wanted to let everyone know I passed Maryland state emissions last week with the sikky headers and Joe z exhaust with no cats. I never doubted it wouldn't pass but it's always reassuring to hear!
Old 04-27-11, 08:40 AM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does that test compare to the CA test? Passing without cats here would show high OXY and therefore raise a red flag.

~Dv8
Old 04-27-11, 09:54 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jaslapp1
Just wanted to let everyone know I passed Maryland state emissions last week with the sikky headers and Joe z exhaust with no cats. I never doubted it wouldn't pass but it's always reassuring to hear!
Yeah emissions aren't a problem. It's the state safety inspection that you would fail. Part of these inspections include a visual of the cats.
Old 04-27-11, 10:41 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
How does that test compare to the CA test? Passing without cats here would show high OXY and therefore raise a red flag.

~Dv8
I think the Sniffer standards are based on US clean air standards..

I know of CA cars that have passed the sniffer with the Secondary Cats removed on the IS / IS-F... Would be interesting to see how it would do with ALL 4 gone here in CA...

The visual portion of the test is what makes or breaks the deal..

Also, it just goes to show you that we have very clean running engines

Joe Z
Old 04-27-11, 11:44 AM
mentroc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^
+1, I'm also interested to see the results with high flow cats in the CA sniffer test.
Old 04-27-11, 11:50 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mentroc
^^
+1, I'm also interested to see the results with high flow cats in the CA sniffer test.
I would say Pass sniffer & Fail visual for modified exhaust...

Joe Z
Old 04-27-11, 12:45 PM
jaslapp1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by caymandive
Yeah emissions aren't a problem. It's the state safety inspection that you would fail. Part of these inspections include a visual of the cats.
We don't have state inspections until you sell your car which I plan on never doing
Old 04-27-11, 12:46 PM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Jason, do u have the 100cell high flow cats when u got the emissions done?
Old 04-27-11, 12:47 PM
jaslapp1
Pit Crew

Md is suppose to have a human sniffer test. Basically if they can smell exhaust gasses they can hook you up to it but they never do it in md.
Old 04-27-11, 01:06 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

I think they have scented gas additive that you can add to make your exhaust smell like various things wonder if that would work.
Old 04-30-11, 02:43 PM
jaslapp1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by djsai
Hey Jason, do u have the 100cell high flow cats when u got the emissions done?
I run no cats
Old 04-30-11, 03:52 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

For the visual inspection referred, is it a visual to see if the cats are present at all or is it a visual to see if it was present and is stock? Would having an aftermarket cat raise red flags and incur you more headaches?
Old 08-18-11, 09:16 PM
marine1342
Rookie

Anyone know if Joez dual exhaust catless ones pass Illinois emmisions testing?
Old 08-19-11, 06:13 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

haha... good to hear my dude! I wish I didnt dump 6 bills on cats that blew out all over the race track
Old 08-19-11, 07:11 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Your car passing the emissions test in MD only tells us one thing... Someone did NOT do their job properly...

Directly from the Maryland DMV site.
How a VEIP Test Works

Here is some important information you need to know before you take your vehicle in for testing.

You will receive a test notice from the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) about eight weeks before the deadline for your vehicle should be tested. You may bring your vehicle to be tested as soon as you receive the notice, or at any time during your eight week inspection period. Bring your notice and your vehicle to any one of the testing stations.

1. If you forget the notice, bring your vehicle registration card as a substitute.
2. When you pull into the lane for the test, put the vehicle in "park," and keep the engine running.
3. A certified emissions inspector will check for leaking fluids, excessive smoke, signs of tampering with the exhaust system, a gas cap, dashboard warning lights, and badly worn tires. Nothing is disconnected.
4. The test fee of $14 is collected. We accept cash, VISA, American Express, and MasterCard, traveler's check, money order, or a personal check (with 2 current ID's) made payable to VEIP.
5. At the end of the test the inspector will present you with a vehicle emissions certificate that shows whether your vehicle passed or failed the test and the date of your next test.
6. If you do not pass the test, you will be referred to the station representative. The station representative can discuss the results with you and point out the area(s) on your vehicle's engine or emission control system to be checked and repaired. A brochure listing Maryland Certified Emissions Repair Facilities is available from the station representative.

The inspector clearly failed due diligence with regards to #3 This vehicle clearly should have failed this section of the test. No vehicle coming into our facility with these modifications would pass the state mandated test, our livelihoods are on the line with this, and the risk FAR out-way the rewards. If an inspector passes a failing car they loose their license for 6 months and are fined up to 5k, if they do it again they are suspended indefinitely, the station is fined 10k minimum, and the inspector is required to retake all emissions certification classes over before he is even allowed to reapply for state certification. Trust me my friends this is NO cake walk, and the fines are serious business, there is NO gray area, it is VERY black and white.

Quick Reply: Passed emissions