Borla full catback review: clearing up misconceptions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-11, 10:09 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla full catback review: clearing up misconceptions

Hey guys,

First off I would have loved to install the ISS or JoeZ exhaust, however after hearing both systems, and how incredible they sounded I had to find another solution. I drive a significant amount with clientele and need to be able to hear conversation from the front and back seats, let alone my hands free bluetooth.

The install:
very straightforward. Did it on my back with 4 jackstands and had it done in 2 hours tops. the system fit well, all of the bolts lined up, the bends were in the right places and the hangers popped right in.. lubbed up of course.

The quality:
The mufflers are definitely the best portion of the exhaust, it just doesn't have the same aesthetic appeal as the joeZ and ISS. Don't get me wrong, its a great looking exhaust when compared to stock, but i don't like the look of the exhaust clamps.. and to be honest the full polish on the other systems looks.. well.. dope

The Performance:
Can't really say much, I can definitely feel it. losing traction that much quicker, but maybe thats from giving it just that much more throttle. Until I take it back to the dyno im just going to give it a in the seat feel.

The Sound:
Sounds incredible, always a bit more vocal, quiet enough for me to drive around down town and talk on my bluetooth or with clients. Also there is no drone on the highway, it dies right down almost to stock decibel levels.
However when you stomp on it, or play around in manual+sport mode.. wow.. incredible, obnoxious and exotic sounding. this exhaust does sound great, way less rasp than then ISS and just a nice even deep scream.

Overall:
I could not be happier. I plan on having the system welded once it is fully broken in and settled so it does not shift. I ended up getting the system shipped to my door for around a grand. The sound is incredible, there is performance gains, and I can still hear myself think. I would suggest this system to anyone.
Old 04-23-11, 10:39 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would be nice to post some sound clips or a link from youtube.
Old 04-23-11, 08:41 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
The sound is incredible, there is performance gains, and I can still hear myself think. I would suggest this system to anyone.
Sounds interesting. Any pictures?
Old 04-24-11, 03:22 AM
The UPS Store
Former Sponsor

Oh wow, thanks for the review! I was seriously considering this. PMing for details.
Old 04-24-11, 06:36 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It would be nice to see a video
Old 04-24-11, 07:54 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I really thought about going with Borla and adding the cats to it but for the extra 6 bills for the 5ish years il own my F Joe Z it was...
Old 04-25-11, 09:33 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

I will get on a video and some pics as soon as im back home guys. Honestly if i could have I would have gone with either the JoeZ or the ISS track exhaust, but they are a bit too loud, I learnt that mistake with Statis on my S4. I could not be happier with my purchase, and making the connections more aesthetically pleasing is not nearly as important as the audibly pleasing sound my car now makes

Last edited by 4everkidd; 04-25-11 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-25-11, 02:55 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

agree wholeheartedly, which is why I too went Borla True Dual exhaust... JoeZ & ISS are nice quality pieces as well... if you are going Borla... order from 21st Century in Florida... they are some 30% cheaper than anywhere else, and had in stock when I purchased mine last year.

Couldn't be happier a year later... have to use BlueTooth, and pick up clients from Airport every now and then.
Old 04-25-11, 06:16 PM
TripleBlkF
Rookie

borla was my second choice...but after long sleepless nights, i pulled the trigger on Joe Z and my expectations were far exceeded. You tube does not justice

1 better quality (fit, polish)
2 more robust sound... and never "stock sounding," b/c that's why i bought an exhaust in the first place
3 only obtrusive when i get on hard
4 unique to isf?
Old 04-26-11, 11:30 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TripleBlkF
borla was my second choice...but after long sleepless nights, i pulled the trigger on Joe Z and my expectations were far exceeded. You tube does not justice

1 better quality (fit, polish)
2 more robust sound... and never "stock sounding," b/c that's why i bought an exhaust in the first place
3 only obtrusive when i get on hard
4 unique to isf?
+ true dual exhaust from primary cats back.
Old 04-26-11, 11:53 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you get to keep all 4 cats with this setup?
Old 04-26-11, 10:32 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

quick pic of the exhaust laid out. Will post additional pics and a video tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails Borla full catback review: clearing up misconceptions-borla.jpg  
Old 04-26-11, 10:33 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

I believe you only keep all 4 cats with axleback systems
Old 04-26-11, 11:35 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Great post... Thank you for sharing...!!

Welcome to Club Lexus.

I have a Video of two members comparing their exhausts...

One is our Full Exhaust System and the other is just the Borla Axle System..
It's not the full cat back, but I believe Borla uses the same rear piping & mufflers for their axle back system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teym7v-VZXE

It would be Great if you loaded a video of your full system ..

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 04-27-11, 09:23 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All I will say is your findings are not the NORM - Borla drones quite a bit and is unbelievably loud! My friend bought this for his IS-F and sold it 2 days later. He told me it was just too loud for his kids in the back seat.

Do a search for Borla and you will find his thread posted here....

I heard it a few times and I have to agree it's much louder. I have the JoeZ and even this system has a slight drone at certain highway speeds on an incline. The Borla is definitely louder and of lower quality materials. But at that price point if you are happy then that's great.

You must have a higher tolerance for noise but as I said 100 times before, exhaust sound is STRICTLY SUBJECTIVE and YOUTUBE Videos are USELESS as people can use different mics and positions to make any exhaust sound good.

rick

Quick Reply: Borla full catback review: clearing up misconceptions