IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 09:20 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lou,

How does it drive, what does the SOP acceleration tell you about the headers, do you notice an increase in valve train noise? Often it is common to pick up an increase in valve train noise due to the thin wall headers transmitting the sound easier.

Gary

Last edited by hwy1isf; 03-30-11 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 10:08 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the install and dyno complete?
Old 03-30-11, 04:56 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

OK Good People Thanks for being patient. The cat install is complete. The dyno was run, copy attached. But the news is not all good. I have a cel, not because of the cats, but because the heater circuit for the front 02 sensors is not working. During the install PPE installs a wire harness extension, apparently something in that line was not installed correctly. PPE will be working on that tomorrow. I was expecting more on the dyno, but comparing it with caymandive, I did OK. My modified exhaust stayed the same, except for the addition of the cats just behind each header. The cats are Magnaflow Hi-Flow Spun cats with a 3" body, pict attached.

As can be seen, caymandive's curve showed 386 HP with 363 lb ft of torque max. His run was with a JoeZ Intake, JoeZ exhaust and no cats. My run on a day with relatively the same temperature showed 382 HP and 367 lb ft of torque. And again, I am running a Takeda intake, modified dual exhaust that utilizes the stock mufflers, glasspack resonators with an X pipe. And as indicated above I have added the magnaflow cats. I gained over 27HP and better than 24 lb ft of torque.
Attached Thumbnails PPE Headers-before-and-after.jpg   PPE Headers-cat2s.jpg   PPE Headers-stockexhaustwithsikkyheaderscomparison.jpg  

Last edited by flowrider; 03-30-11 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 05:10 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the update. Do you have any A/F ratios? I would love to see how the car is reacting in that department.
Old 03-30-11, 05:29 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
OK Good People Thanks for being patient. The cat install is complete. The dyno was run, copy attached. But the news is not all good. I have a cel, not because of the cats, but because the heater circuit for the front 02 sensors is not working. During the install PPE installs a wire harness extension, apparently something in that line was not installed correctly. PPE will be working on that tomorrow. I was expecting more on the dyno, but comparing it with caymandive, I did OK. My modified exhaust stayed the same, except for the addition of the cats just behind each header. The cats are Magnaflow Hi-Flow Spun cats with a 3" body, pict attached.

As can be seen, caymandive's curve showed 386 HP with 363 lb ft of torque max. His run was with a JoeZ Intake, JoeZ exhaust and no cats. My run on a day with relatively the same temperature showed 382 HP and 367 lb ft of torque. And again, I am running a Takeda intake, modified dual exhaust that utilizes the stock mufflers, glasspack resonators with an X pipe. And as indicated above I have added the magnaflow cats. I gained over 27HP and better than 24 lb ft of torque.
I think these numbers should be a little higher from what we have seen. The part you are calling an o2 sensor if it is indeed one of the front ones is actually a air fuel ratio sensor. A problem with one of these could certainly account for your numbers, hope this helps.
Old 03-30-11, 07:29 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Lou,

Did you say you were having the Headers coated?

These were titanium coated:

Old 03-30-11, 09:17 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^The headers were coated with Jet-Hot Extreme Sterling

Lou
Old 03-31-11, 06:21 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

You need a JoeZ
Old 03-31-11, 06:40 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lou thanks for the update, good numbers. Try to get a re-dyno after the cel issued is resolved. Keep us posted.....
Old 03-31-11, 07:05 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^The headers were coated with Jet-Hot Extreme Sterling

Lou
Thanks Lou, do you have a pic of the dipstick relocation?

BTW, you did a great job on the Cat, it almost looks OEM, and may pass a visual.
Old 03-31-11, 07:10 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^I didn't take a pict of the dipstick relocation yet, but I will. It's about three or four inches further toward the front. Thanks for good words all

Lou
Old 03-31-11, 05:51 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Lou,

Have you had a chance to fix the sensor problem?

How does it drive, you should be able to definitely feel the improvements in HP and TQ?
Old 04-01-11, 10:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Both of the front 02 (air fuel ratio) sensors appear to have failed. It was not the wiring harness as was originally thought. New sensors should be in monday.

Lou
Old 04-01-11, 10:42 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

^^^^Both of the front 02 (air fuel ratio) sensors appear to have failed. It was not the wiring harness as was originally thought. New sensors should be in monday.

Lou
Sounds like there is some guessing going on here. What codes specifically are you getting? The OBDII has quite a few checks & balances upon startup and having both sensors fail at the same time seems unlikely. I would bet that the CEL is coming on because the car has not been "tricked" enough into believing the primary cats are still in place and functioning as they should.
Old 04-01-11, 10:53 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Thank you James for your input. You're knowledge is always appreciated

I don't know what the codes are. I have enough faith in PPE to believe what they are saying. The cel is instantaneous upon startup, a cat failure takes a little time to show a cel. Voltage readings have been taken and show that voltage is getting to the sensors, but the voltage across the sensors is low. Again, I trust PPE. This is not their first foray into Lexus header development, IMHO they know what they are doing.

Lou

Quick Reply: PPE Headers