IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Frustrating first 621 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 08:52 PM
Bobisf
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Frustrating first 621 miles

Well I have had my F now for a week and while I absolutely enjoy driving it I made the ' mistake ' of reading the manual. In the section on breaking in the engine it states that one should not attempt sudden accelerations or stops for the first 621 miles(1000 km) This is so frustrating because I am so tempted to push the pedal.
Did everyone follow this caution or is it just the usual manufacturer disclaimer?
Is it necessary to break in the engine in modern cars?
Old 03-17-11, 09:00 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should follow the manual's advice. It could save you from adding oil every time you fill the tank. Just take it easy and vary the speed. Many people dump the break in oil around the 700-1000 mile mark too. Maybe it's being over cautious but why take a chance.
Old 03-17-11, 09:01 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I let my wife broke it in. Bad mistake...she didn't want to give the key back.

Originally Posted by Bobisf
Well I have had my F now for a week and while I absolutely enjoy driving it I made the ' mistake ' of reading the manual. In the section on breaking in the engine it states that one should not attempt sudden accelerations or stops for the first 621 miles(1000 km) This is so frustrating because I am so tempted to push the pedal.
Did everyone follow this caution or is it just the usual manufacturer disclaimer?
Is it necessary to break in the engine in modern cars?
Old 03-17-11, 09:03 PM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

everyone told me it was a myth that you had to "granny it" from like up to 500-1000 with new cars these days, engines pretty much come broken in for the most part. Yur almost at that point anyway, take a long drive for an hour or so, then yur ready to PUNCH IT!
Old 03-17-11, 09:07 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

When I got my F a few years back, I was driving as slow as some of the senior citizens in my area. I think after 1000 miles logged, that first WOT was sure worth waiting for. I've seen some new owners right after getting the keys from the salesman and just full on flooring them. Not the best thing, but it's their car and decision to deal with. I'd say just stick to the break in period. Enjoy the car!
Old 03-17-11, 10:18 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

I have about 700 miles on mine now. I am guilty of opening it up before the break in period. We're not talking at every chance but bursts for sure. I would hope that the motors go through testing before leaving the factory and I'm not talking baby testing them.

I'm going to have my first scheduled maintenance done this week and then to the track to do some baseline runs.
Old 03-17-11, 10:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I ignored the recommendations. I have 45k or so on mine now. It does not use oil, used oil analysis does not indicate any abnormal wear, and it continues to make very good power.

After building a fair number of engines, I don't believe the manufacturers are concerned about what is best for the owner, I think they're concerned about warranty claims.

There are other parts of the drive train that may benefit from restraint, but the engine isn't one of them IME.

Some comments on what I usually do are here:

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-a...ave-asked.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/t...ine-break.html

And another guy who does it similarly:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Drive the car, make it work, it will be fine.
Old 03-18-11, 05:22 AM
Splat
Lead Lap

Lobo i was literally about to google that last link of yours, i have treated every car and motorcycle i have had like he says and have never had an issue!
Old 03-18-11, 06:59 AM
SCCAForums
Driver

I'm w/ Lobux... I break them in 'aggressively'... but 'shift slowly'... it is typically drive train and brake parts that need 'break in'... My recommendation would be to possibly not use the 'Sport Mode'... as that's the only way to 'slowdown' the shift... other than that... have fun and enjoy em!

Dave
Old 03-18-11, 06:59 PM
gqisf
Rookie

The Pre Delivery Inspection Tech probably ran it harder in it's first couple of miles than you will have ever! I'm with Lobux, run it hard from the start. I myself have run everything from brand new motorcycles, cars, and freshly built engines hard from the get go. Don't hold back and enjoy!
Old 03-18-11, 07:41 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I ignored the recommendations. I have 45k or so on mine now. It does not use oil, used oil analysis does not indicate any abnormal wear, and it continues to make very good power.

After building a fair number of engines, I don't believe the manufacturers are concerned about what is best for the owner, I think they're concerned about warranty claims.

There are other parts of the drive train that may benefit from restraint, but the engine isn't one of them IME.

Some comments on what I usually do are here:

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-a...ave-asked.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/t...ine-break.html

And another guy who does it similarly:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Drive the car, make it work, it will be fine.
I agree 1000x with Lobux's post.

Ran our ISF strong from day one and it has been rock solid with no oil usage. Its not like these engines are not ran at all from the factory, as I am sure they have a short break in from the factory to check operating temps and for any leaks like oil. Drive it like you want to but just change the oil a bit sooner for your first oil change. .
Old 03-18-11, 08:11 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has ~600 miles now and it was driven semi-hard.. though never quite at WOT, varying rpms and light throttle when cold.

The plan is to attend some track/autocross next month, the car will probably have 1.5k miles by then. Should I change the oil before the event or not worry about it till 5k?
Old 03-18-11, 10:31 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rhy
My car has ~600 miles now and it was driven semi-hard.. though never quite at WOT, varying rpms and light throttle when cold.

The plan is to attend some track/autocross next month, the car will probably have 1.5k miles by then. Should I change the oil before the event or not worry about it till 5k?
i would its just oil. one of cheapest ways to maintain your engine
Old 03-19-11, 07:33 PM
B D HEMI
Rookie

Default break in

Was at the corvette factory in bowling green kentucky last summer .Great tour of the plant , and at the end of the line when they first start up the vette's , they quickly run into the dyno area and run the cars at about 80mph at least six times until they adjust the limiters . So why pamper the car ?
Old 07-06-11, 09:04 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default How many miles for the break-in period?

What's the beak in period...how many miles do i need to take it easy before pushing it hard?

Quick Reply: Frustrating first 621 miles