IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need Opinion on Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-11, 03:15 PM
Hwnstyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Opinion on Coilovers

Hey Guys, I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions on which coilovers to get. i have a 2009 ISF which is mainly used for street driving and will probably never see the track in the near future.

I priced out the BC Racing Coilovers and the KW V3 Coilovers. KW is about twice as much as the BC. Just wondering if i should go with BC and use the extra money on other items or go for the KW? Or maybe should i look at the Tein Comfort Sports?

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-11, 03:39 PM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

I would go with BC. They are really good coilovers for the money and if you not tracking KW in my opinion are not needed. I will be getting my coils tomo so cant wait.
Old 03-10-11, 03:51 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I am on the same boat as the OP. I could not decide if I going with BC, KW or TEIN CST. I reckon the OP is trying to improve ride comfort which is also my goal.
Old 03-10-11, 04:09 PM
DS2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have thought about this myself for a while and here are my thoughts on this...

I used to have BC racing coilovers on my IS300. Although they gave me the drop I was looking for, the "sophistication" of the suspension was a bare minimum and I'll explain why. The coilovers utilize a mono-tube design, much like Tein CS, so the "softer" you set that damping the floater it gets, and the "stiffer" you make it the bouncier it gets. The stiffness of the ride is driven mainly by the spring rates you go with. For me that meant either a harsh treatment if the damping is on "hard", or the risk of bottoming out on the "soft" setting. The bottom line is they work, just didn't feel all that great for DD. Tein CS are going to be pretty much the same, only they come with softer springs. You're paying extra for the brand name and a slightly more sophisticated valving system. Between the two, I would definitely choose BC racing for the VALUE.

That being said, If you really want superior suspension, you'd have to go with KW V3 coilovers because they use a 2-way pressure valve technology which controls the compression and rebound characteristic independently for a true "dail-in" settings. They also come with a lifetime warranty which is a nice plus.

My recommendation is to go with KW coilovers, unless you live somewhere with smooth silk roads or you don't plan on lowering your car all that much (so you stay on the softer damping setting).

Hans

Last edited by DS2k; 03-10-11 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-10-11, 05:13 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

My question is why coilovers? If you never plan on tracking the car? Why not save a bunch of money and do springs or a spring shock combo? you will save a lot of money. Are you planning on lower a whole lot? the only reason I see to go coilovers is if you want extreme lowering or are going to track the car. I would look at swift springs or others here like the Tein products.

just my $.02
Old 03-10-11, 05:15 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Apart from the fact that they are both called coilovers and they allow you to adjust ride height that is where the similarities end.

KW V3's are on a completely different level in terms of adjustment (compression and rebound vs rebound only), quality of materials (stainless steel shock body vs. steel) and valving/tuning. KW's for the IS F were co-developed with TOM's in Japan.

If any of the above matter to you the choice is clear. If you just want to adjust the ride height of the car and possibly "fiddle" with the dampening the BC's are the way to go. They both serve different ends of the market and have their place in it.

The other option is the newly released HKS Hipermax M1 for the IS F. If I didn't have KW's those would be my other choice. I had Hipermax's on my Evo 9 and the ride and handling were both amazing.

http://hksusa.com/products/?id=3926
Old 03-10-11, 05:58 PM
DS2k
Pole Position

HKS Hipermax M1 coilovers come with 16K front spring rates... that's a bit much for DD imo.
Old 03-10-11, 06:03 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
My question is why coilovers? If you never plan on tracking the car? Why not save a bunch of money and do springs or a spring shock combo? you will save a lot of money. Are you planning on lower a whole lot? the only reason I see to go coilovers is if you want extreme lowering or are going to track the car. I would look at swift springs or others here like the Tein products.

just my $.02
Totally agree. Why buy coilovers if the sole goal is to "increase" the comfort level of a performance suspension?
Old 03-10-11, 07:13 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DS2k
HKS Hipermax M1 coilovers come with 16K front spring rates... that's a bit much for DD imo.

Any conversation about spring rates without discussing shock valving is almost meaningless and oversimplifies all of the factors that determine ride comfort and handling among other things. Both the spring rate, shock design and valving play a roll in ride harshness and handling. The fact that the HKS spring rates are 16/10 kg/mm (896/560 lbs/in) does't necessarily mean that the ride quality has to suffer.

I've driven an IS F with the HKS M1 coilovers and they are marginally stiffer than my KW's and and still have better control/valving than the Tein CST's for the IS F which have rates of 671/559 lb/in that I drove.
Old 03-10-11, 10:05 PM
Hwnstyle
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone, i appreciate everyone's opinions. While i do want to improve the ride quality of my car, i definitely want to explore an aggressive look by lowering the car along with getting some new rims.

I checked out your link on the Hypermax but those a quite a bit more expensive than what i was quoted on for the KWs. So i think those are probably out of the question.

I never thought about going the shocks and springs route but i would like the ability to adjust the height of the car if needed.
Old 03-11-11, 05:31 AM
DS2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by N54MPower
Any conversation about spring rates without discussing shock valving is almost meaningless and oversimplifies all of the factors that determine ride comfort and handling among other things. Both the spring rate, shock design and valving play a roll in ride harshness and handling. The fact that the HKS spring rates are 16/10 kg/mm (896/560 lbs/in) does't necessarily mean that the ride quality has to suffer.

I've driven an IS F with the HKS M1 coilovers and they are marginally stiffer than my KW's and and still have better control/valving than the Tein CST's for the IS F which have rates of 671/559 lb/in that I drove.
I totally hear what you're saying, but I'm an engineer and I tend to compare things relative to each other. to have a suspension system with 6K of spring rates difference front to back "tells me" that the focus of the suspension system is performance, because the IS-F is not that lopsided in terms of weight distribution. And I've personally been in enough cars to tell you that regadless of how sophisticated you valving system is, 16K springs are going to feel rough when you hit that huge pothole on DC roads... so if the OP is looking for comfort over performance, then M1s probably shouldn't be his #1 choice. I'm not knocking down HKS in terms of quality or handling, but relative to the other options, my guess is they're geared towards performance and not comfort.

I'm not trying to win an argument here... just sharing my thought process.

Hans
Old 03-11-11, 09:34 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the BC Coilovers on my IS-F...and I have HKS Hipermax Preformers (Japanese version of the Hipermax III) on my Supra. Yes, two different cars but nonetheless. In regards to the BC Coilovers; I decided to go with these after talking to FIGS who gave me good advice about which coilovers to choose (KW's vs BC...he sells both). I went with the BC's because of price as well as from the reviews I read. Also my IS-F was mainly for daily driving, and very occasional track. So far I'm not disappointed. I have them set to 17 clicks up front and 14 clicks in the back (from soft). This gives about the same firmness as stock, but handling is improved, daily driving isn't as harsh, and it isn't nearly as bouncy as stock. I initially had some severe oversteer, but I got it corner balanced and aligned and it feels perfect now. In regards to my HKS Performers on the Supra, they are actually smoother and offer just as good handling as the BC's but these coilovers were about $1800. I say go with the BC's for your F...you won't be disappointed. Talk to FIGS for a great price...Darshana S...
Old 03-11-11, 11:09 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwnstyle
Thanks everyone, i appreciate everyone's opinions. While i do want to improve the ride quality of my car, i definitely want to explore an aggressive look by lowering the car along with getting some new rims.
i have a "prototype" set on my F from the same factory as BC and Megan:

i haven't tracked my car yet but i just drove the 2011 IS F and LFA at infineon and i have to say that these coilovers are better than what i previously had on (eibachs)...

it really depends on what your definition of "improve" is...
if you're really talking about ride quality as in comfort, then you can adjust these to ride a little softer and get a different spring rate and viola... more comfort...

get a stiffer spring rate and adjust accordingly and you're good to go for a firmer ride...

if you're not tracking your F and just driving around town, i think BC/megan is a good value... i had several F owners/drivers drive my car with these and they feel it's a good overall improvement over stock...

just my 2 cents from personal experience...
Old 03-11-11, 02:53 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

From reading reviews, I would go with KW's (if you don't care about the cost).

You can't go wrong with BC Racing though as other members have mentioned. BCs are the best bang for the buck.
Old 03-12-11, 06:21 PM
m3twof
Driver School Candidate

I'M selling my kwv3. .3 month used..interest pm

Quick Reply: Need Opinion on Coilovers