IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New IS-F and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 06:18 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick update, VentureShield is a no-go. OCD or not, I like to thoroughly research everything

While VentureShield doesn't suffer from much "orange peel" effect or yellowing over time, it is weaker than other protection films and therefore easier to damage, especially in rough environments like the tri-state area. It's also supposed to have a rubbery rather than paint-like feel.

There's another product out there from Avery Dennison called Nano-Fusion (http://nano-fusion.net/). It's supposed to be the bee's knees -- great protection, not rubbery, supposedly looks better than anything else out there. The disadvantages: more expensive, has only been around for a year, so long-term durability is still undetermined.

If I manage to find a good installer in the Northeast, I'll probably take the plunge and snap lots of high quality pictures while at it. Hopefully this stuff is not prohibitively expensive.

Of course, all of this should be taken with a grain of salt. I haven't seen or touched any of the products (or at least not while paying attention). And thanks for everyone's feedback so far, it's helping a lot!
Old 03-06-11, 07:24 PM
rhy
Pole Position

So yeah, going to pass on Crystal Fusion as well. Looks like a decent product but not worth the money when Rain-X and Aquapel will achieve a similar result for only a few bucks.
Old 03-06-11, 10:09 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rhy
Would you like to share what happened? And was this a warranty through the dealer (at car purchase time) or from a third party?
Well I wasn't totally screwed over per say but Lexus did not keep their word. To keep this warranty intact you need to take the car in every 5k miles or 3 MONTHS. I took the car in every 5k miles as they said verbally and totally wasn't aware of the 3 months crap that was at the bottom in the tiniest font possible. I was able to get 1 1/2 sets of tires so I didn't lose money but it was surprising that Lexus would void my tire warranty just because I didn't take the car in every three months because I had't racked up 5k miles. I recommend reading your contract over carefully and make sure you follow their strict conditions or else thy WILL screw you over, because everyone is in the business to make money. I know a couple other members on the board experienced the same thing as I did.

Hope that helped.
Old 03-06-11, 11:20 PM
needis
Driver School Candidate

Save your $$$ for all above and find a good shop that does clear paint protection. The only thing I would buy from the dealer is the car.
Old 03-07-11, 07:44 AM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All that stuff will really help the dealer sell your car after you trade it in....
Old 03-07-11, 09:03 AM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by J2K

I'd read the fine print on the tire and wheel insurance. Every tire and wheel protection package that I've ever been offered from the dealer only covers replacement/repair of the rim if it is damaged to the point that the tire mounted on it won't hold air. So.... things like curb rash and even slightly bent rims aren't covered. Personally, I'd take my chances and pocket the $899.
I was told at the dealership the warranty would cover curb rash "no problem". I was a bit skeptical and when I got home I read the fine print and saw curb rash was not covered. Now if you bend a rim it would pay for itself. Still I decided to roll the dice and not get it.
Old 03-07-11, 10:30 AM
rhy
Pole Position

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Looks like experiences will vary quite a bit from one provider to the next.

I decided to take the wheel & tire plan after reading their "fine print" today. The policy covers 100% of wheels and tires, including damage from road hazards, curb rash, scratches and other cosmetic imperfections. They will paint-match any original OEM wheels and will repair or replace a bent wheel, even if it holds air just fine. There is no deductible or a limit of the number of replacements. 24-hour roadside assistance is included for any tire/rim incident. Service can happen at the dealer or at an authorized third party location if a dealer is not nearby.

All in all, sounds fair considering that driving in CT/NY/NJ is like driving on the Moon.

Car is getting prepped up for delivery, should be picking it up tomorrow
Old 03-07-11, 11:05 AM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rhy

Car is getting prepped up for delivery, should be picking it up tomorrow
Congrats, man. You are going to love it!
Old 03-07-11, 11:15 AM
britsti
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the '10 I just picked a used '10 up myself with 7 k miles - was focused on the updated Nav and LSD that the 10's have. I did drive a 2011, and while the ride was somewhat better, not enough for the price difference.
Old 03-07-11, 11:29 AM
rhy
Pole Position

^^ Thanks. Was that the blue one at the Nissan dealer? I was lusting after that one for a while!
Old 03-07-11, 12:21 PM
britsti
Driver School Candidate

Default Correct

Rhy -sharp eye - I did buy the '10 from Coastal Nissan, it was traded in against a '10 GTR. Overall, excellent condition and it did have Ventureshield installed from the dealer. I will say, it was installed very well, however I have seen a more reflective appearance from other films (3M perhaps). To your point though, in the Northeast you need something.

Originally Posted by rhy
^^ Thanks. Was that the blue one at the Nissan dealer? I was lusting after that one for a while!
Old 03-08-11, 09:08 PM
rhy
Pole Position

They say a thread is worthless without pics

Old 03-08-11, 09:23 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

very nice, enjoy the car
Old 03-09-11, 06:37 AM
mj0723
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and enjoy the car. MRM is a really nice color!!
Old 03-09-11, 10:31 AM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Very nice and great pictures!

Quick Reply: New IS-F and a few questions