IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is there going to be a Gen3 IS-F in 2014/2015?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-11, 08:03 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmvp29
The ISF's paddle shifters are far superior to a traditional manual transmission. Ferrari has done away with traditional manuals in lieu of robust, responsive paddle shifting.

I'm even hesitant to say "if it's good enough for Ferrari, it's good enough for the ISF" because that makes it sound like you're giving a lot up with the ISF's "sport direct shift" transmission over a traditional manual transmission, but really it's just the opposite. The ISF's paddle shifting is flat out superior to traditional manual transmissions.
The Ferrari and IS-F transmissions are different in how they operate. Just because they both have paddle shifters doesn't make them the same.

I'll gladly take a manual in the IS-F any day. I like having full control of the drivetrain; it's something I'll happily give up a few 10ths or some lap time to.
Old 03-03-11, 08:11 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
^I second that. It would compete well against the M3 coupe for sure, but the seating configuration is already like a coupe, so it'll be even tighter for rear passengers. And I don't think the C63 is offered in coupe form either. It looks damn good as a sedan already, but the hood bulge and large look of the front might look like a weak body kit if there were to be an IS F coupe.
bzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

That's the buzzer.... Read up my friend:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/01/2...geneva-reveal/

Old 03-03-11, 08:17 AM
mr2fast
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mugenh22a4
The Ferrari and IS-F transmissions are different in how they operate. Just because they both have paddle shifters doesn't make them the same.

I'll gladly take a manual in the IS-F any day. I like having full control of the drivetrain; it's something I'll happily give up a few 10ths or some lap time to.
what about the drivetrain do feel you don't have full control over? Don't get me wrong I'm a purist and thoroughly enjoy being proficient with a clutch and stick, but the F's tranny is fantastic.
Old 03-03-11, 08:28 AM
spekterg35
Rookie

^downshifts. Full control would mean it goes down when we want. Whether that is going to cause injury to the vehicle or not. Plus, it's still controlled by the computer. I think most 5/6mt lovers are fond of the mechanical feeling of pushing the transmission to the next gear. Or maybe the sense of accomplishment in nailing a near perfect heel-toe downshift.

That being said. I do agree that the transmission is one of the best aspects of the car as it is currently available. One of the main reasons i bought it.
Old 03-03-11, 10:42 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
The ISF's paddle shifters are far superior to a traditional manual transmission. Ferrari has done away with traditional manuals in lieu of robust, responsive paddle shifting.

I'm even hesitant to say "if it's good enough for Ferrari, it's good enough for the ISF" because that makes it sound like you're giving a lot up with the ISF's "sport direct shift" transmission over a traditional manual transmission, but really it's just the opposite. The ISF's paddle shifting is flat out superior to traditional manual transmissions.
Having driven the ISF at Infineon Raceway last weekend I concur completely. There is no way I would have preferred a manual over the ISF's amazing automatic in manual mode. The shifting is fantastic and allows you to focus on the line.
Old 03-03-11, 11:19 AM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

Aside from all the request/changes mentioned above.

I just hope the Gen3 IS-F is going to be compared with a full-size car, such as the M5 or E63 AMG. I think it's only right (visually) and deserving of an IS-F to run with the big boys (4 door vs. 4 door) this time around.

And it's about time for the IS-F to get a V10 engine or a twin turbo V8.
Old 03-03-11, 12:04 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^
I'm torn on that thought about the V10 or twin turbo. I mean, they just put out the $325k LFA supercar that puts out around 560hp, right? Would it make sense to push the ISF into 500+hp territory for say $85k brand new? I'm leaning towards no b/c that would be cannabilistic. Some mods would allow you to reach equal hp AND save $200k.

I would love to see the F reach 500hp stock like the aforementioned vehicles, but I am certainly not going to hold my breath on that. It just does not make good business sense to me. Who knows...maybe they could capture both markets (i.e. insanely rich and those who just have plenty of money)... idk
Old 03-03-11, 12:24 PM
spekterg35
Rookie

^ true, except a limited production run of 500 negates the cannabilism argument. No matter how much money you throw at an ISF, it won't be an LFA. Also, there is a big difference between 100K and 375K. I think a lot of the evolution of the car is going to depend on how the next M3 and AMG C car perform. Are they still talking about a GSF. If so, it would make more sense for a V10 or Turbo8 to go in there.
Old 03-03-11, 12:40 PM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

I totally agree with you. And when you think about AMG, they also have the SLS with 563hp at $250k price tag. Why pay $250k+, when you can get an
E63 for $85k+? If you asked me, (in short) you're buying the bragging rights, not so much with the hp.
Old 03-03-11, 01:09 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Spekterg, absolutely agree about the limited production theory. If they leave the current model alone and run a limited edition 500hp, I believe that would work magically b/c of the growing enthusiasm towards the F. The basis of my statement centered on the 500hp F becoming a full-time production. That is from where the product cannibalism idea came.

Dexterr, I agree with you as well. At that point you're paying for the name/look/bragging more than the performance; but that's not to say performance is ignored by any stretch.
Old 03-03-11, 04:28 PM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Yeah, no cannibalism here. The local billionaire car nut won't be showing off his E63 AMG to his billionaire car nut buddies.....his money will buy him horsepower AND exclusivity. Horsepower isn't everything when you can afford to wipe your *** with benjamins.
Old 03-03-11, 06:20 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Fapout
bzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

That's the buzzer.... Read up my friend:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/01/2...geneva-reveal/

I'll believe it when I see it. And all I see is the C class coupe, no AMG model, even if the article says "it's set to debut." But if MB does make a C63 coupe, Lexus should compete in that particular segment theoretically because it would be losing out to customers who want the option of a high perfoming coupe, but my personal opinion is that it's great as a sedan form. If it's offered in a coupe form in the future, great for Lexus in keeping up with the competition. Personally, I just can't see the need for a coupe, especially if I'm hauling some passengers. I do like the M3 coupe, but rear seating is very limited, which was why I chose the F in the first place. But good article, though. I really like the beginning to the the video posted.
Old 03-03-11, 09:21 PM
LexFather

Remember technically the LFA was to debut first then the the IS F, etc afterwards. That didn't happen since this IS F was a skunkworks project that got approved.

So that means an expanded "F" lineup is coming

Oddly rumors are that BMW will be dropping the M3 sedan again next time like the E46.....
Old 03-03-11, 11:27 PM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I'll believe it when I see it. And all I see is the C class coupe, no AMG model, even if the article says "it's set to debut." But if MB does make a C63 coupe, Lexus should compete in that particular segment theoretically because it would be losing out to customers who want the option of a high perfoming coupe, but my personal opinion is that it's great as a sedan form. If it's offered in a coupe form in the future, great for Lexus in keeping up with the competition. Personally, I just can't see the need for a coupe, especially if I'm hauling some passengers. I do like the M3 coupe, but rear seating is very limited, which was why I chose the F in the first place. But good article, though. I really like the beginning to the the video posted.
I wanted more torque so I got the 335 coupe and for the four door I got the ISF... Something about a high revving BMW v8 just makes me nervous on reliability. The C63 is an awesome car but you might as well just buy a vette than a C63 coupe. I get the M3 niche, I get the C63/ISF 4door niche but not the 2 door C63 market. But that's just my 2 cents.
Old 03-04-11, 04:15 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I know what you're saying man. 335xi is a sweet beast, even stock. But modded....i bet it sounds and runs insane.

Quick Reply: Is there going to be a Gen3 IS-F in 2014/2015?