IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all extended warranty threads - look here first!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 04:46 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Mother of all extended warranty threads - look here first!

So I just got my car back after 3 weeks in the shop (dealer). The reason (as it was explained to me) was that since there are so few of these cars on the road and each dealer only sees a handful they they have very little experience with them. The rely heavily on the tech support line and field reps for trouble shooting tips and guidance. This leads me to believe that when the car is unlikely to be able to be repaired (not serviced, like oil changes, etc.) at an independent. Therefore the car will be back at the dealer charging $135/hr for trouble shooting. This could add up really quick. It might be nice to have my car/butt covered for 8yr/100,000mi or something with a Lexus warranty. I know that at heart it is a Toyota and not likely to have much if anything go wrong, but I do believe that even simple things are likely to cost a lot more on this car. So far it has spent a lot of time at the dealer for the motor, alignment, rain sensors, etc.

I am awaiting a quote from the Dealer for the warranty to see what we are talking about in $$$. Of course there is a point where it might be too expensive to justify the piece of mind. I'm going to try and leverage the repair history of the car for a discount on a warranty.

I guess we'll see.

Thoughts?
Old 02-11-11, 05:09 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Not worth it, b/c no warranty is as good as the factory bumper to bumper. Correct me if wrong, but most of all extended warranty are through third party and not from Lexus. Even if from Lexus, it comes with many restrictions that are not anywhere as liberal as the original manufacturer warranty (aka bumper to bumper).

I have extended warranty on my 08 accord, called "Honda Care", and I just found out it was a waste of money when I visited the dealer with an issue that would have been covered under original 3 yrs 36K mile warranty and didn't with this "extended warranty.". Who knows, Lexus might be different. I will never again buy extended warranties. Remember, it is no longer the original warranty and it comes with many restrictions and fine print.

Last edited by PurduePete; 02-11-11 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-11-11, 05:26 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Pete, I know what you mean, I had a third party warranty on my Porsche (I would suggest that no one EVER own a P-car without some sort of warranty) and in the end it worked out to my advantage, but yes it was exclusionary and did not cover everything.

However I am still learning about the Lexus extended and do not yet know if it is equal to the original bumper to bumper. I will let you know what I hear as I don't want to buy one to find out it is not worth the paper it is written on.
Old 02-11-11, 05:31 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Pete, I know what you mean, I had a third party warranty on my Porsche (I would suggest that no one EVER own a P-car without some sort of warranty) and in the end it worked out to my advantage, but yes it was exclusionary and did not cover everything.

However I am still learning about the Lexus extended and do not yet know if it is equal to the original bumper to bumper. I will let you know what I hear as I don't want to buy one to find out it is not worth the paper it is written on.
Yes, please do find and know the fine print. In my case, I would even go as far as to say the salesman lied to me. Good luck and yes, I would like to know what Lexus's version is.
Old 02-12-11, 07:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I bought Toyota Extra Care for my Supra in 1994. They wanted $2200 for it at first. I got it down to $710. It was 5 years, 100k miles. It was through Toyota, not a third party, and it worked exactly the same as the Toyota warranty. I am certain there are third party warranties out there, but if you get the genuine Lexus extended warranty, you'll get the same service as the factory warranty.

I recently had a discussion about this with a friend because so many have been having touchscreen issues with their nav. He told me the type of touchscreen Toyota uses will have a normal service life of 5 to 7 years unless you press hard on the screen. If you press hard it can die much sooner. Considering the Lexus replacement part is over $5k even at the discount internet retailers, it would seem the extended warranty might be worth it. BTW, he's an embedded systems engineer, so he's pretty smart about hardware. So I tell him I'm considering this and he says, "don't be foolish - you can get a screen for about $120 brand new and replace the one you have when it dies."

So I'll be looking into this soon...

I can't think of anything else I'd be concerned about, and since I've documented track use on a public forum, I really doubt I'll have much luck with an engine/transmission warranty claim.
Old 02-12-11, 08:24 PM
mondo540
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you want the Lexus or Toyota Platinum VSA (vehicle service agreement)....and there are dealers who sell these more than others and offer better pricing...you can buy it from any dealer in the country...I read about it somewhere in CL...do a search, you'll find them...or go to Lexus Financial services page and click around...will tell you all you ever want to know about them...

EDIT: Go here.... http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...rSelected=IS-F

...btw, we are considered new vehicle....anything less than 48 mos and 50K miles

Last edited by mondo540; 02-12-11 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added link
Old 02-13-11, 08:09 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

I have subscribed to the Lexus Extra Care warranty extension for my IS-F, it was 1700€ ($2500) for 3 years. From what I know it works as the original warranty and for the cost I think it is worth it for a car the value of the IS-F even for resale value.
Old 02-13-11, 09:05 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

I know I'm beating this to death as an opponent to the "extra warranty", but I'm still mad. Actually, not an opponent of the extra warranties, just now more careful of the specifics of the warranty in evaluating its worth.

My 08 Accord, the chrome surronding the grill, (similar to our ISFs), had a "bubble" developed underneath the chrome, which, is only a matter of time before it burst and becomes a real eye soar, in front of the car. I originally procrastinated on taking it in before the 36K warranty b/c I remembered specifically, the saleman telling me that the "Honda Care" is the same as the original bumper-to-bumper. Not true! The service manager tells me that the defect in the grill is not covered under Honda Care and that my car is 2K past 36K miles. Paid for a fully loaded car with all the bells and whistles, and additional warranty, just for them to turn their back on me...

I'm sharing this experience so folks can be aware with all the extra warranties. Ask for specifics and have the answers in writing. In the end, I guess its not the warranty that is at fault, it's the sly articulation of this extra warranty by the salesmen that fostered false assumptions. I don't know how else to interpret the salesman's answer of "yes" when I asked him, "So you're telling me that this extra warranty is a continuation of the bumper-to-bumper and that if there is any problems, I just bring in the car and you take care of the rest?

Okay thanks for reading.
Old 02-13-11, 03:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Here's my experience with Toyota - remember, this is not Honda - my windshield on my Supra cracked underneath the mirror mount. It was obviously not a rock strike as the crack was on the inside, not the outside.

Toyota replaced the glass with 53k on the odometer.

I later found out the glass had been replaced once by the previous owner, and the windshield was actually a PPG windshield, not OEM Toyota.

They still didn't say a word about getting it fixed.

They also replaced the passenger's side airbag which had curled up on the corners (a well known issue with Supras) at 97k miles.

So it's very difficult for me to say anything bad about Toyota Extra Care.
Old 02-13-11, 05:36 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PurduePete
I know I'm beating this to death as an opponent to the "extra warranty", but I'm still mad. Actually, not an opponent of the extra warranties, just now more careful of the specifics of the warranty in evaluating its worth.

My 08 Accord, the chrome surronding the grill, (similar to our ISFs), had a "bubble" developed underneath the chrome, which, is only a matter of time before it burst and becomes a real eye soar, in front of the car. I originally procrastinated on taking it in before the 36K warranty b/c I remembered specifically, the saleman telling me that the "Honda Care" is the same as the original bumper-to-bumper. Not true! The service manager tells me that the defect in the grill is not covered under Honda Care and that my car is 2K past 36K miles. Paid for a fully loaded car with all the bells and whistles, and additional warranty, just for them to turn their back on me...

I'm sharing this experience so folks can be aware with all the extra warranties. Ask for specifics and have the answers in writing. In the end, I guess its not the warranty that is at fault, it's the sly articulation of this extra warranty by the salesmen that fostered false assumptions. I don't know how else to interpret the salesman's answer of "yes" when I asked him, "So you're telling me that this extra warranty is a continuation of the bumper-to-bumper and that if there is any problems, I just bring in the car and you take care of the rest?

Okay thanks for reading.

CORRECTAMUNDO!! There is a reason the salesman push these warranties down your throat! They are making a HUGE commission of the things. Remember the richest companies in the world are oil companies, followed by insurance companies! These a reason for that folks... These guys are sly, much more so than you and I! I have been involved in the auto business on and off for well over 25 years now, and have NEVER seen a warranty pay off NEVER! But boy have I meet some REALLY pissed off people whom have bought them!
Old 02-13-11, 08:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ming15237
CORRECTAMUNDO!! There is a reason the salesman push these warranties down your throat! They are making a HUGE commission of the things. Remember the richest companies in the world are oil companies, followed by insurance companies! These a reason for that folks... These guys are sly, much more so than you and I! I have been involved in the auto business on and off for well over 25 years now, and have NEVER seen a warranty pay off NEVER! But boy have I meet some REALLY pissed off people whom have bought them!
I paid $710 for mine. I got a new passenger side airbag and a new OEM glass windshield. I think I made out big time.

Never say never.
Old 02-19-11, 03:19 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

^^ agreed the car is only 3 years old, there is no long term experience with the engine and transmission on this car.
I already have had the front wheels refinished and the driver seat cover replaced
Old 02-19-11, 06:46 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

I have been looking for an extended warranty.

After doing some searching. I found a thread on the ClubLexus GS section. Which turned out to be the best deal I could find.

I got a 6 year 70,000 miles Lexus Factory Extra Care platinum Zero Deductible Warranty for little over 800 dollars. This is the Toyota/Lexus warranty. Not a third party one.

The dealer I purchased my car from wanted 1200 dollars.

If your looking to purchase one. I highly recommand Jerry at Midwest Toyota.

Just send him your location of purchase, VIN and current miles to get a quote.

Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Superstore
1100 east 30th
Hutchinson, Ks 67502
Phone 800-530-5789
Cell 620-664-8844
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
Old 02-19-11, 07:00 AM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

I too was considering the Lexus Extended Warranty recently. I figured that I'd be keeping the car for awhile so for piece of mind I went ahead and bought the 8yr/100,000mile warranty. I did use the warranty for some items on my car including: replacement of trunk liner, blown fuse for cigarette lighter, and passenger window motor.
Old 02-22-11, 06:41 AM
nyis250
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the market for an extension warranty as well. I have a quick question regarding my eligibility for the Lexus Platinum VSA. Does my Lexus count as a new vehicle even though I am the second owner? Bear in mind that I purchased this car used at a Lexus dealership and still within the factory warranty coverage. Thanks for the feedback

Quick Reply: Mother of all extended warranty threads - look here first!