IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

In the market for an ISF intake...Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 03:34 PM
TripleBlkF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the market for an ISF intake...Recommendations?

I have been reading/browsing through different aftermarket intakes: Here's what I have found available..let me know your thoughts/experiences! Thanks!

Joe Z intake tube + drop in filter
K & N true intake w/ cone
Tanabe (utilizes factory box?)
*Swift Racing Technologies intake (w/ air fuel computer)
Injen intake (seems too cheap/generic to be worth it)

or do i stay with the stock intake?

OH, and BTW, i do have the Joe Z exhaust installed thus far...
Old 02-07-11, 04:02 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Many here have gone with the Joe Z intake/exhaust combo. K & N uses their own filter, so it would require taking apart the factory filter box. Takeda from what I've seen utilizes the stock box partially. And Injen's intake isn't cheap at all. Good brand name, and their numbers are accurate. It's up to you which one you want to use. My choices would be either the Joe Z or Injen if you want some extra power and a nice looking intake for your F. How are you liking the exhaust so far?

Last edited by bnizzle87; 02-08-11 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-07-11, 06:00 PM
MRISF
Pole Position

I have the joe z setup and I would choose to go that way again simply for the fact of no HEAT SOAK....
Old 02-07-11, 06:25 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When did Tanabe start making intakes?

I think you guys mean Takeda.
Old 02-07-11, 08:48 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 78 Posts

Or you could wait for the elite autosports cold air intake It should avoid heat soak and deliver some very good gains.
Old 02-07-11, 09:31 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Until the ECU can be unlocked, it doesn't seem like any aftermarket intake will delivery any LASTING results! It'll look and sound nice, but after awhile the ECU will adjust for the increase airflow and yield lower horsepower. There are several threads that have show this.
Old 02-07-11, 09:40 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

I have the Joe z intake/exhaust combo, and I'm happy with it.
Old 02-08-11, 01:50 AM
m3twof
Driver School Candidate

I have a Joe Z blue intake/ toms drop in filter, and toms throttle control its the best combo..I Love it but might sell soon...
Old 02-08-11, 09:03 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I have the Takeda, and if you do a search you'll find out why I'm so happy with it.

Lou
Old 02-08-11, 09:24 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by m3twof
I have a Joe Z blue intake/ toms drop in filter, and toms throttle control its the best combo..I Love it but might sell soon...
When you do decide to sell please PM me. I'm really interested. Thanks
Old 02-08-11, 09:54 AM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I have the Takeda, and if you do a search you'll find out why I'm so happy with it.

Lou
I'm trying to decide on an intake right now as well. From the intake shoot out thread, the Takeda produced lower HP than stock and injen. Having said that though, the OP put a lot more miles on his Takeda before he fitted the injen intake on there which he put 10 miles on the car before he dyno'd it and then put the stock intake on there with virtually no miles driven and it dyno'd higher than the other 2 stock intakes.

I have yet to find an intake with sustainable gains over the stock set up so far doing my research on this subject. Although I do want increased throttle response from a larger filter as well as the sound, I don't want to sacrifice HP. I'm starting to consider the Joe-Z intake tube combined with a different filter to fit in the stock airbox.

Could you give me a run down of your impressions of it Lou?
Old 02-08-11, 11:29 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Love my Injen intake.... It is not in any way cheap, defiantly quality part & it fits perfect. I did not do before and after dynos but it sounds great, im getting 25 mpg on the highway and I don't think I have lost power. Throttle response in top end is noticeably better.

Last edited by darbs242; 02-08-11 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-08-11, 12:26 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Fapout
I'm trying to decide on an intake right now as well. From the intake shoot out thread, the Takeda produced lower HP than stock and injen. Having said that though, the OP put a lot more miles on his Takeda before he fitted the injen intake on there which he put 10 miles on the car before he dyno'd it and then put the stock intake on there with virtually no miles driven and it dyno'd higher than the other 2 stock intakes.

I have yet to find an intake with sustainable gains over the stock set up so far doing my research on this subject. Although I do want increased throttle response from a larger filter as well as the sound, I don't want to sacrifice HP. I'm starting to consider the Joe-Z intake tube combined with a different filter to fit in the stock airbox.

Could you give me a run down of your impressions of it Lou?
Before the Takeda I had a JoeZ with as K&N drop-in. My preference for the Takeda is purely personal. I like the look and the sound. The Takeda feels almost totally like the stock filter, maybe a bit more up top. I installed a friend's Injen a couple of weeks after I put mine on. IMO, the quality was not as good as my Takeda. The install was easier and the filter element is a little bigger, but it's far more exposed to hot underhood air. Again, I'm happy with my choice

Lou
Old 02-08-11, 12:55 PM
Fapout
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Before the Takeda I had a JoeZ with as K&N drop-in. My preference for the Takeda is purely personal. I like the look and the sound. The Takeda feels almost totally like the stock filter, maybe a bit more up top. I installed a friend's Injen a couple of weeks after I put mine on. IMO, the quality was not as good as my Takeda. The install was easier and the filter element is a little bigger, but it's far more exposed to hot underhood air. Again, I'm happy with my choice

Lou
So you don't feel much for gains but maybe up top. You like the look and sound though. I guess I could care less about looks since it's under the hood and sound just gives a placebo effect. It seems from what I've read that the Injen and Takeda are sucking up hot air while the Joe Z shape increases air flow volume and reduces heat soak at the same time uses the cooler and more efficient stock airbox with it's air port. I guess I'm just not seeing any benefit what so ever to running the aftermarket intakes since the only dyno numbers I've seen have shown negative gains.
Old 02-08-11, 01:02 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ Elite said in Splats NA build that their prototype intake didn't make gains till it had headers, exhaust, ported tb & intake manifold behind it, then it pulled 14 wheel and 10ft lbs over stock air box/joe z pipe and filter. I know there are not a ton of people with those mods who have hit dynos and post but it may be that the after market intakes make a bigger difference once the car has the ability to suck more air...The stock intake is sufficient for the stock car.
http://www.lexusfforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3038 check it out

Last edited by darbs242; 02-08-11 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: In the market for an ISF intake...Recommendations?