IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Belt slip noise in manual mode shifting >5.5k rpm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 06:58 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Just got my
Monster back from massive 60k service . The tech told me it's he belt, pulley , or AC. I told him my AC cycles every 10 seconds causing a slight rpm fluctuation and my tensioner and pulley have already been replaced. I want them to replace my AC compressor . Going to talk to the foreman and Lexus extra care adjuster . It's bs that o have a warranty and they don't want to attempt a fix. I don't want the car screatching when I shift
Err, does this happen with AC on and off? I'm not sure I believe its related to the compressor. Also: I have always heard this noise as well and never known really what it was. To me it just kind of sounds like sweeping a broom once on a smooth garage floor or something if that makes sense lol
Old 02-15-17, 07:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Just got my
Monster back from massive 60k service . The tech told me it's he belt, pulley , or AC. I told him my AC cycles every 10 seconds causing a slight rpm fluctuation and my tensioner and pulley have already been replaced. I want them to replace my AC compressor . Going to talk to the foreman and Lexus extra care adjuster . It's bs that o have a warranty and they don't want to attempt a fix. I don't want the car screatching when I shift
It's very unlikely it is the compressor itself. It may be undercharged or overcharged, but the compressor's resistance is entirely based on the system's charge. Our compressors are extremely smart, and the odds of it being the compressor itself are pretty small. Before swapping anything I would want to see the gauges when the A/C is operating to know exactly what charge level is in the system.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-15-17 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-21-17, 09:45 PM
markitekt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a "slip" noise in a 2012 isf with 25k miles. I believe it to be the clutch packs in the trans. With a locked torque converter, something has to slip. It seems to sound like it comes from below the car in my ears. Heard the same sound in other isf cars. I don't blame drive belts for it.
Old 05-22-17, 04:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I just had my second round of drivebelt and pulley don't this afternoon. It got rid of it. I'm going to wait for it to come back and then the warranty people will replace the AC. I also have a rpm variance at idle every 5 seconds with AC on. Formeman said it's the AC Or belt. I replaced the belt and pulley and they will replace the AC if noise comes back. It's not tranny
Old 05-23-17, 09:58 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had my second round of drivebelt and pulley don't this afternoon. It got rid of it. I'm going to wait for it to come back and then the warranty people will replace the AC. I also have a rpm variance at idle every 5 seconds with AC on. Formeman said it's the AC Or belt. I replaced the belt and pulley and they will replace the AC if noise comes back. It's not tranny
FYI - I have had my AC compressor replaced, and the belt slip noise never stopped.

Digger08
Old 06-01-17, 01:09 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was getting this noise was well. I replaced my belt with the Gates Racing Belt from rockauto.com and it seems to be holding up really well. It's been two months and no noise.
Old 06-02-17, 12:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had mine done two weeks ago and it's been dope to be able to shift and not have my car sound like a yelping dog
Old 06-20-17, 07:38 AM
cleethree
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Didn't have as much luck as some of you here. I'm having the issue on my 2012 with only 11k miles. Had the tech confirm the slipping noise on a test drive. However they were saying that it wouldn't be fixed under the powertrain warrranty.

Im going to look to replace the belt out of pocket. Should I go OEM or aftermarket?? I heard someone mention the rock auto racing belt? I'm also considering gates green and the continental belt. Any suggestions here?

Last edited by cleethree; 06-20-17 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-22-17, 10:24 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My theory would be that the almost instantaneous change in engine RPM (due to the quick shift of the transmission) is causing that accessory belt squeak, just my thought anyway.
Old 01-28-20, 11:42 PM
MMI
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

I had mine done two weeks ago and it's been dope to be able to shift and not have my car sound like a yelping dog
I8ABMR, did the noise end up coming back?
Old 01-11-21, 07:20 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Revival. My car does this and was heard easily through a camera recording from the front.

Accessory belt confirmation? Got a can of belt conditioner lying around. Couldn't hurt to spray it
Old 01-12-21, 03:54 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, I can hear mine clearly ... seems since so many people have this not much could be done.
Old 01-12-21, 06:36 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

^Can was empty, so I couldn't make a try.
Do you know if the belt can slip/snap or can it just be driven hard no mind to the belt chirp noise.
Old 01-15-21, 12:57 PM
funshine
Driver School Candidate

Received 33 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Serp belt slip

I had this noise during hard accel and manual shifting near redline. Stock 2012 IS-F, MPSS tires. I thought it was transmission clutches. Installed new serpentine belt and the noise went away. Old belt is in the trunk as a spare.
Old 01-15-21, 03:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LSpho
^Can was empty, so I couldn't make a try.
Do you know if the belt can slip/snap or can it just be driven hard no mind to the belt chirp noise.
I wouldn't.... I would solve it with a new belt and new tensioner...

The old belts are trash after a few years or 60k miles.

I'm on my 3rd or 4th belt already since 2009.

Joe Z

Quick Reply: Belt slip noise in manual mode shifting >5.5k rpm?