IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F Brake Rotor Lifetime

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 10:34 AM
PNY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS-F Brake Rotor Lifetime

How many miles did it take until you needed to replace your break rotors? I'm at 25K and the stealership says mine need replacing. I'm doing the pads now and want to know if people think the rotors actually need replacing. That seems like a quick life.
Old 01-18-11, 06:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

The only way to know is to measure them. I would not only ask, but I'd want the tech to measure it right in front of me. If they're 28mm or less, they're shot. I'd be very surprised if they were except if you drive with one foot on the brake and the other on the gas.
Old 01-18-11, 07:28 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

I just replaced my brake padsde today, I'm at 32K miles and just finished my first set of pads. New thickness for rotors is 30mm, I was at 29mm and 28 like lobux said is where you need to replace them. The stealership will be more than happy to take your money in the form of unnecessary preventative maintenance by making you replace things way before you need to. That's for the fronts the rears should last you even longer.

Also while you are there make sure you do the rear brake squeak TSB if you have squeaking from the rear.

As a side note thank God my pads needed changing when I took off the tire the inside was worn through most of the cords and there was some separation. The guy I bought my wheels/tires from was slammed and he had already worn most of it and my car just finished it of.

Last edited by infinus; 01-18-11 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 11:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

FYI, if you removed rotors with 29mm of thickness, they were only 50% worn. At $200+ each, you just tossed $100 in the trash.

Do you have the used rotors still? I'll be happy to take them off your hands...They'll be great for track days.
Old 01-18-11, 11:12 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
FYI, if you removed rotors with 29mm of thickness, they were only 50% worn. At $200+ each, you just tossed $100 in the trash.

Do you have the used rotors still? I'll be happy to take them off your hands...They'll be great for track days.
I only changed the pads, I kept the same rotors, sorry for the confusion. I edited my post to make it clearer. I couldnt find the specs so I sent Joe Z a text and he told me the specs and recommended the Project Mu pads.
Old 01-19-11, 04:36 AM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on your driving style. I'm the type that coasts towards a stop light if I know that it will turn red on me, and I'm a light braker. I don't track or autox, so I'm sure I'll get at least 40k - 50k miles from my rotors.
Old 01-20-11, 01:42 AM
PNY
Rookie

Thanks so much for the information all. I am just going to have the TSIB done for the back pads. This particular stealership tried to tell me that I had to have the front rotors replaced if I was going to do the front pads. I told them good try and that I was going to get the front pad work done somewhere else.
Old 01-20-11, 03:00 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

43,000 miles so far on our car and its still on the original stock pads and rotors. I am shocked they have lasted this long without replacing considering everyone at Lexus was saying we would be lucky if we got 25,000
Old 01-20-11, 04:36 PM
larrysb
Driver

Originally Posted by kickhard
43,000 miles so far on our car and its still on the original stock pads and rotors. I am shocked they have lasted this long without replacing considering everyone at Lexus was saying we would be lucky if we got 25,000
Not surprising if you do a lot of freeway miles. The typical driver will probably get a lot less in city, stop-and-go driving. Aggressive driving or racing, way less.

My rotors looked like a folgers can and have a deep ridge on the edges. I have misplaced my rotor gauge, but I estimate a good 1.75mm gone based on the ridge, at 27k miles, pads worn right to the wear indicator line. Dealer said they wouldn't turn, I suspect they would be in spec. But chinese clones are cheap enough that I just replaced them.
Old 01-20-11, 04:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Wear indicator line? What's that? There's a squealer piece of metal stuck to the backing plate, but I've never seen a wear indicator anything on any Scion/Toyota/Lexus.

The service manual says 1mm is minimum thickness which means you have 10mm of wear available. Every millimeter is 10% wear. This is why I think a lot of people change their stuff too frequently - if 3mm is left, and you've covered 20k miles, you've got another 5k miles of life left in your pads. Most people will look at a 3mm pad and go "Oh wow, there's hardly any left" when in fact there's still 25% service life left in those pads.

Estimating 1.75mm means you still had .25mm left, and again, this is over 10% of the service life of the rotor. It's also an estimate.

After three track weekends with racing pads and lots of well documented cracks, my front rotors STILL measured out at 29.6mm. I'm VERY skeptical of these claims "I needed to change my rotors at xxxx miles" and I have strong evidence Lexus dealers are changing out rotors with more than 29mm of disc since I've been able to pick these up used for next to nothing compared to buying new. They're great for track use.

I don't doubt you could easily go 43k on the original rotors and pads, even with fairly hard use.
Old 01-21-11, 03:01 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by larrysb
Not surprising if you do a lot of freeway miles. The typical driver will probably get a lot less in city, stop-and-go driving. Aggressive driving or racing, way less.

My rotors looked like a folgers can and have a deep ridge on the edges. I have misplaced my rotor gauge, but I estimate a good 1.75mm gone based on the ridge, at 27k miles, pads worn right to the wear indicator line. Dealer said they wouldn't turn, I suspect they would be in spec. But chinese clones are cheap enough that I just replaced them.
Car has some highway miles but mostly it is city driving with at least 50miles a day on it. Its the wifes car so thats why i am surprised the brakes have lasted this long
Old 01-22-11, 01:42 AM
larrysb
Driver

I just measured the rotors I took off at 26k miles at 28.39 mm per Mr. Mitutoyu.

Original thickness is 30mm, minimum is 28mm. That's .4 mm out of 2mm total rotor left. They are significantly grooved and there's a thick ridge on the outside. It would not be a good idea to use them without turning them and that would further reduce the thickness. Based on wear so far, that would be about another 6.5k miles of rotor life and it isn't worth the hassle to not change the rotors at this time.

I was pretty sure the pad material has a wear indicating slot cut into it - most pads do. Could have been wrong about that.
Old 02-20-11, 08:23 PM
Servoman
Driver School Candidate

My car is in for the oil change at 22K miles and the dealer just called and said I need new front pads and rotors. I can't believe I need rotors already because i don't run the car that hard and like somebody else here said I coast up to the stop light so it will turn green and I can go without doing more than a tap on the brakes. He said there are only 2mm left on the front pads.

Anyway I won't put on rotors until I measure them myself but if I really do need them where should I buy them besides the dealer? I'm right now figuring on Project mu pads but I don't remember anybody talking about an alternate source of rotors.

David
Old 02-20-11, 08:34 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wife...LA traffics...new front pads @ 15k miles.

Originally Posted by Servoman
My car is in for the oil change at 22K miles and the dealer just called and said I need new front pads and rotors. I can't believe I need rotors already because i don't run the car that hard and like somebody else here said I coast up to the stop light so it will turn green and I can go without doing more than a tap on the brakes. He said there are only 2mm left on the front pads.

Anyway I won't put on rotors until I measure them myself but if I really do need them where should I buy them besides the dealer? I'm right now figuring on Project mu pads but I don't remember anybody talking about an alternate source of rotors.

David
Old 02-21-11, 01:50 AM
joe0057
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake replacement

My dealer Glendale Lexus replaced my pads at 9000. Now at 14000 they are squeaking again. But life is is good! Never broke the pads in with 4 or 5 60 mph stops to 5 mph but will try if I can find a safe place. joe0057

Quick Reply: IS-F Brake Rotor Lifetime