IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F Brake Rotor Lifetime

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 06:52 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rahre
Bedding was done according to Stoptech instructions 10 stops @60-10, cooling, repeat. They felt great for about 1000 miles. Now, getting a wobble back. I have read you can rebed, but have also been told that you will remove the material if using them below operating temp over time. It's chilly here and easy to not use the brakes hard. I could slap yet another set on up front. I just can't imagine how this time will be different. I've owned a handful of performance cars with big breaks, never had a problem like this and not finding others with the extent of my issue. Your thoughts are most appreciated. Clearly, I'm a little frustrated. Love this car and want it to feel as quality constructed as I believe it should be.
I have the Stoptech pads as well and they are awful. Getting ready to change to Project Mu NS400 and OEM rotors.

The Stoptech pads will leave a huge transfer patch on the rotors if you do not FULLY, and I mean FULLY, dry them after washing. This weekend I washed the car early in the morning while it had sat overnight (so cold rotors), gave it a quick dry with the leaf blower and short drive around the neighborhood. Put on a coat of wax and let it sit till the next day. Removed wax and took her for a spin.

I kid you not, it felt like there was gravel between my brake pads and rotors! Massive grinding noise, horrible vibration! Took a look at them afterwards and saw a massive patch of brown crap on the rotor where the pad was. After a full day of driving it is still not worn off yet!

Between that and the dust and the horrible squeeking from the Stoptech pads when they get any dust build up, they, along with the Centric rotors just in case, are getting replaced by Project Mus and OEM rotors. Never again for Stoptech pads!

But now I see that the OEM Brembo hats rust! Aye. Can't anything be easy? They were only $419 for all 4 rotors shipped from eBay, but I still hate the rust. I'm thinking of painting them.

Would love the Figs or RR rotors, but with the other stuff being done to the car shortly, I can't part with that kind of cash for a DD

Last edited by Jz39; 08-23-16 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-22-16, 10:34 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
I'm thinking of painting them.
I don't recommend painting the hats. My came painted, and they pealed terribly during the bedding process. With time the hats become covered with grime, and look OK. See this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nt-rotors.html

Lou