IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Swift Sport Spring review for ISF!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 03:40 PM
cfls
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swift Sport Spring review for ISF!

I've been lurching for a while on this forum but as my first post I figured it should be something worth giving back to the forum for all the info I've collected from here.

Now I've been thinking of lowering my car with lowering springs for a while but there isn't really that big of an option out there.
I was doing some research and found that the most popular springs out there are Eibach and Tein springs.

There is a slight problem with these options for me. Tein is softer than stock and the Eibachs are progressive which makes the car ride rather sloppy. And coming from the sport compact background the springs never really had a really good review in markets that are flooded with lowering springs. I've heard of the both sagging and not really performance oriented.

This is when I came across the news that Swift might be making lowering springs for our cars.

For those of you who do not know who Swift is they are a spring manufacturer in Japan and probably one of the biggest out there.
www.swiftsprings.com

Just from google I can find endless number of posts some even saying that the Swift springs handle better than some of the lower end coilovers, especially in the Mitsubishi Evolution crowd.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-t...008-evo-x.html

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38230

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-tir...-reviewed.html

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...pic=813701&hl=

http://www.the370z.com/brakes-suspen...-reviewed.html
Just google it and you will see that in a lot of the performance oriented vehicles people rave about Swift springs.

They apparently released the spring for the ISF a month ago and so I decided to purchase a set from Ravspec.
Thanks Mark!

I just wanted to say that the drop is perfect for me. The car is well balanced and it's cornering is much sharper, with less roll. With the tein and the EIbach I feel like they lose a little bit of the ISF feel. But these springs feels like it was a good step forward for my vehicle. If your looking for a performance oriented spring with a drop this in my opinion is the way to go.

Here are the installed pics.

If there are any other users post up your feedback.
Old 11-17-10, 04:10 PM
eXstasy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cfls
I just wanted to say that the drop is perfect for me. The car is well balanced and it's cornering is much sharper, with less roll. With the tein and the EIbach I feel like they lose a little bit of the ISF feel. But these springs feels like it was a good step forward for my vehicle. If your looking for a performance oriented spring with a drop this in my opinion is the way to go.
Thanks for your review. There is one thing I must ask since you did not mention it... what does it do for the stock bounciness in our ride?

Any specs F R on the actual drop?
Old 11-17-10, 05:37 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember Swift from my Evo days, best lowering springs in the market. What's the drop front and back? Have you rode in a lowered ISF? Tein? Eibach? If so, how do they compare to the Swifts? Or you're talking from other people's comments?
Old 11-18-10, 09:00 AM
cfls
Driver School Candidate

I have owned Tein springs but I went back to stock and I have a buddy that has Eibachs on his.

Advertised drop on this kit is 1inch in the front and .6 in the rear.
Spring rate for it is 9kg in the front and 8kg in the rear.

The ride is very smooth. All the inconsistencies in the road are absorbed by the spring, so I can safely say that these springs are more compliant than stock. The springs are firmer, there is less roll, and it doesn't bottom out at all. If I were to compare to Eibach or Tein though I would have to say that Those 2 springs feel boatier (if thats a word). The main reason for this is because I believe it is because like I said earlier, teins rates are waaay soft, and Eibachs are progressive. You will immediately feel that the Swifts are much more planted.

My friend agrees that the Swift springs rides better than the Eibachs.

I'm extremely happy with them so far, Im not going to lie I am pretty picky about these suspension tidbits for my cars. I can safely say I reccomend these springs. I will be autocrossing this weekend. So I will let you know how they do performance-wise.

BTW. Juanca that picture looks sick. Are you holding down your brakes while your driving in that picture?

Last edited by cfls; 11-18-10 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-18-10, 09:03 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks very much for the review! I didn't even know Swift had a set out for the F, this is awesome information, very helpful and gives F owners another spring option! Glad to hear you're enjoying the ride
Old 11-18-10, 09:14 AM
cfls
Driver School Candidate

Yes I couldn't really ask for anything more from a set of lowering springs. LOL.

Thanks for reading!
Old 11-18-10, 09:34 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there any camber and/or tire wear issues?
Old 11-18-10, 09:41 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Swift springs are awesome. Unlike many companies who put out lowering springs so you can 'slam' your car, Swift actually cares about retaining good ride quality and improving handling (slamming the car is not the way to go). They would never release a product without thoroughly testing their springs (on the track), which is why they don't have a long list of applications, unlike other brands out there who wind coils just for the sake of getting them on the market.

I replaced my stock springs on my coilovers with 1kg/mm stiffer springs and not only did I get less body roll, but the ride was smoother thanks to its superior ability to be compliant over bumps.
Old 11-18-10, 10:12 AM
RavSpec
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey cfls, thanks for the post and write up. Yes Swift spring is one of the best in the market mainly because of their consistency on their spring rate.

These are full linear, non-progressive, which is what you need on lowering spring / non coil over setup.

For more info and pics, see here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...ml#post5941913
Old 11-18-10, 10:47 AM
robbys3m3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car looks great! Swift is indeed a great company and they are my spring of choice when I lower the GT-R soon
Old 11-18-10, 03:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by RavSpec
hey cfls, thanks for the post and write up. Yes Swift spring is one of the best in the market mainly because of their consistency on their spring rate.

These are full linear, non-progressive, which is what you need on lowering spring / non coil over setup.

For more info and pics, see here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...ml#post5941913
Linear? How do they defy physics? Those are a progressive wind if ever one did exist.
Old 11-18-10, 04:09 PM
cfls
Driver School Candidate

step linear is the actual term for it.

The portion that looks progressive acts like a helper spring. So when the shock fully decompresses (going up a driveway, jacking up the car, or cornering really hard) the spring doesnt play. The progressive end fully collapses with the weight of the car.

So yes it is a linear spring.
Old 11-18-10, 04:44 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Do these springs get rid of the bouncy feel of the stock IS-F suspension? Also, anyone know what the stock and Eibach springs rated at?
Old 11-18-10, 05:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by cfls
step linear is the actual term for it.

The portion that looks progressive acts like a helper spring. So when the shock fully decompresses (going up a driveway, jacking up the car, or cornering really hard) the spring doesnt play. The progressive end fully collapses with the weight of the car.

So yes it is a linear spring.
Hmmm. No. Not linear. Two distinct rates. One spring sacking doesn't mean it's not there. I have helper springs on the Tein shocks for my Supra. These are not helpers, they have the same wire diameter as the rest of the spring. The springs in the picture have two distinct rates, so no matter how you slice it, they're non-linear, and from full extension to full compression will not behave like a linear spring.

They may work just fine - I'm not disparaging their ability to control wheel motion, but they surely aren't linear as advertised.

"Step linear" sounds like some new term from the marketing department. It does not describe what the springs do. Many years ago these were correctly marketed as "dual rate" springs.
Old 11-18-10, 05:35 PM
cfls
Driver School Candidate

http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/suspension-springs.html
Its not a marketing term buddy.
2 distinct rate is called a step linear spring.

A helper spring also has rate in it. So if a coilover has a helper spring until that helper spring is compressed it is also considered a step linear rate.

A progressive spring progresses from one rate to another. A step linear rate has one spring rate until it is fully compressed and then the second spring rate kicks in.

The reason why it is advertised as a linear spring is because the spring rate of the spring mounted on the vehicle would be a linear rate, because the secondary rate is already fully compressed.

Quick Reply: Swift Sport Spring review for ISF!