IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Swift Sport Spring review for ISF!

Old 11-25-10, 11:28 AM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I had my IS 350 I had f sport spring and the alignment was never perfect after installing the spring. So you guys who installed the spring have you ever experienced the same issue.
Old 11-27-10, 12:26 PM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Past couple of days I have doing a lot of research on Swift Sport Spring and one question i have is how do the OEM stock struts keep up with these springs? i have read few forums on ISx50 where ppl have changed the springs and they have blown out the stock struts.

I hope this is not the case for the IS F.
Old 11-29-10, 11:45 AM
cfls
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah well I dont know yet because I put the springs on relatively recently, and no problems yet. Anyways, Swift is known to make the springs using the useable stroke of the shock and within the valving range so I dont think it would be a problem.
Old 11-29-10, 12:09 PM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cfls
Yeah well I dont know yet because I put the springs on relatively recently, and no problems yet. Anyways, Swift is known to make the springs using the useable stroke of the shock and within the valving range so I dont think it would be a problem.
Thanks, how about the alignment? Were you able to get it back to OEM spec.
Old 12-10-10, 09:13 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsardar
Thanks, how about the alignment? Were you able to get it back to OEM spec.
I have the same question as well? This thread has been a little quiet....
Old 12-10-10, 11:17 PM
RavSpec
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, it's a moderate drop, getting back to OEM spec is quite easy.
Old 12-11-10, 10:39 AM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RavSpec
yeah, it's a moderate drop, getting back to OEM spec is quite easy.
Rav,

Can you confirm the drop as posted earlier in this thread, one-inch in front and 0.6-inch in the rear? Conducting suspension/wheel/tire research so any reliable information you can provide in this regard would be greatly appreciated. TIA,
Old 12-11-10, 12:38 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also interested in the drop amount being confirmed.
Old 12-14-10, 09:18 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by cfls

Now I've been thinking of lowering my car with lowering springs for a while but there isn't really that big of an option out there.
I was doing some research and found that the most popular springs out there are Eibach and Tein springs.
Just from google I can find endless number of posts some even saying that the Swift springs handle better than some of the lower end coilovers, especially in the Mitsubishi Evolution crowd.
So your research is based off of Google?

With the tein and the EIbach I feel like they lose a little bit of the ISF feel. But these springs feels like it was a good step forward for my vehicle.
Now do you know this for a fact or are you referring to your research from Google? Do you know for a fact the Swift springs perform better than either Tein or Eibach? Have you installed the other springs on your ISF (not other sport compacts) to make an unbiased assumption of Swift vs. the others? It is a fact all springs sag overtime, including OEM.

The Evo is a fine machine, but the ISF and EVO aren't really in the same class. Engine size, drivetrain layout nor do they handle the same. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by flipside909; 12-14-10 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-15-10, 09:52 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ subscribed

Joe Z
Old 12-17-10, 10:04 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I think it is very hard to say one thing is better than another, even if you have personal experience with both products, because there are too many variables. The largest variable is personal preference and the perception that goes with any purchase. Not many many people want to feel unsatisfied with a recent purchase so its hard to weigh the benefits objectively. Suspension parts in general are very subjective to the driver because not everyone has the same skill or drives the car to the same limits.

I can find very little data on HS5.TW material Swift uses probably because it is made up by Swift. Whereas at least the BC springs you can get a MSDS on SAE9254. But that said Swift has always had a good reputation though and that means a lot of "good" and less "bad" experiences out there. So in my book I think they do their homework on each application and try to get it right. All materials fatigue, especially in this type of application and usually you have a cycle count vs deformation spec. 1%, 5% etc.

In terms of alignment why does everyone always ask if they can get it back to OEM spec? If its lowered, its not at OEM spec anymore and the suspension is going to cycle differently. So in general "OEM spec" does not apply to lowered cars. Plus within OEM spec you have such a wide range its not a accurate quantifier. You have toe adjustment is all in front and rear unless you pick up some adjustable parts like I will release soon. There should be plenty of toe adjustment for drops in that range to equalize the toe, the issue will be things like bump steer and tire wear over time. Even if toe is in spec, the link angle is steeper so it will steer more for each upstroke that before. That is why a longer link and subsequently a longer arc length is desired.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 12-17-10, 01:27 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

HS5.TW is Swift's own creation so it's highly unlikely we'll ever find out their trade secret.

Very little information on deformation rate is provided by Swift (as expected), but I knew someone who put them through 1 million cycle and at the end, the spring rates were less than 5lb/in from the original. That to me says a lot about the quality. Most other springs are only put through 500,000 compression, and really crappy springs break before they reach half that cycle. OEM has to survive >1 million cycles with reasonable deformation rate to be stamped with approval.

I pulled off my HKS springs with less than 20k miles already they were all 1/8" shorter than what they were suppose to be. Last time I measured my Swift springs, they were all exactly the same height as when I first got them.

One thing I didn't like about the Megan/BCR springs was the consistency. I tested a few a while ago and they weren't exactly linear. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if my HKS did just as bad on the spring dyno. I'm almost curious enough throw them on the dyno.
Old 12-18-10, 01:17 AM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this out:

http://www.swiftsprings.com/advantage.html

Very detailed technical specs and design of Swift Springs.
Old 12-20-10, 02:15 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I pulled off my HKS springs with less than 20k miles already they were all 1/8" shorter than what they were suppose to be. Last time I measured my Swift springs, they were all exactly the same height as when I first got them.
The million dollar question is how long have you had your Swift springs on your 2GS and how long ago was this?
Old 12-20-10, 10:09 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The million dollar question is how long have you had your Swift springs on your 2GS and how long ago was this?

Good question. I've probably had them on for around 10k miles; however, I actually have more preload on these springs. The HKS was used with almost no preload. Regardless, these Swift springs have been known to sag way less than most other springs. HKS Japan uses Swift springs on many of their race cars because they're superior to their own. The HKS, like many other standard springs, are nothing special. I've seen JIC, Megans, etc springs all sag with relatively low mileage. For most daily drivers, it's probably no big deal and one will most likely not notice a 1/16" sag.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swift Sport Spring review for ISF!