IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

HKS SSM IS F Exhaust Pics Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-10, 10:33 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HKS SSM IS F Exhaust Pics & Sound Clips Updated 06/22/11

I have decided to edit this thread and post all of the videos and information regarding the SSM exhaust as well as the mid pipes to my original post so that everyone doesn’t have to read through pages of comments.

I’d first of all like to thanks the folks at HKS for allowing me the opportunity to have my car not only used to test fitment but also to prototype the actual mid pipes and resonator design on my car. This process started a few months ago and I must say that I am pleased with the results.

The resulting exhaust does not make the most hp, nor is it the cheapest. What I do like is that it sounds good (to me) and like no other exhaust on the market, it makes more power than stock without absolutely ANY drone or resonance in the car and last but not least it is a quality part in keeping with any HKS product I’ve had in the past.

One of the key things I’d like to point out is that the HKS rear section and mid pipes were designed to be modular. What that means is that the HKS rear section will bolt up to the factory mid pipes and the HKS mid pipes will bolt to the factor IS F rear section. This gives buyers the option to mix and match or purchase both parts together or separately. No other exhaust gives you that option.

The rear section by itself is the main reason for the difference in sound as well as the reason there is a power increase without the assault on your ear drums to you or your passengers. The SSM rear section produced 3 whp on HKS’s Dynojet vs. stock with an 8 lb weight savings over stock. The PN for that is 32023-AT001. For those of you who want a different sound and really interested much if any hp increases the rear section alone is a good option.

Rear section

Exhaust clip with stock mid pipes and HKS SSM rear section

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....90506620978540 (via Facebook)

The HKS mid pipes PN 33004-BT001 replace the factory rear catalytic converters as well the factory rear section. As a result the mid pipes produce the most gain in horsepower over stock. The complete exhaust with mid pipes and rear section produced 372 whp on HKS’s Dynojet. I’d also like to add that with a little over 2500 miles with mid pipes and well over 5000 miles with the complete exhaust I have not had any CEL’s at all or any issues related to performance or fitment. For those of you that want the added power and are happy with the sound the OE mufflers produce can opt to buy the mid pipes that retail at $975 (and can be had for less).

HKS mid pipes and SSM rear section.

Video clip of HKS rear section and mid pipes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7-oDaKPdtI

HKS did a lot more R & D with regards to exhaust tuning, resonator tuning and decibel levels than the average company that sells exhaust will ever do or that I can release. As a result there won’t be any dyno charts posted etc.

The db readings between this and my previous exhaust differ and are lower at every rpm range except at 4950 rpm where the HKS is louder by 3 db but the car never cruises at that rpm.

This exhaust makes 8 whp (8-10 depending on the dyno results I have seen) less than the exhaust that I had on the car prior to this and I still don’t miss the added hp.

For those of you that live your life a ¼ mile at a time you may want to look elsewhere.

If bragging about how much whp you have is “your thing”, look else where.

If the asking price makes you question why it costs twice as much as XYZ and it isn’t made of unobtanium then this also probably isn’t for you.

If you value the ability to carry on conversation in your car and want to drive long distances enjoying silence at 80 mph, this is the exhaust for you

If you’re familiar with HKS and what that means with regards to quality, craftsmanship, engineering and R & D, this is the exhaust for you.

HKS is aware of what the market is and what options you have. As a result of this they don’t expect that everyone will pay the asking price for the SSM and don't expect to sell many. For those of you that do you it is well worth the price of admission.

As I've said before this is not a comparison thread between any other exhaust on the market. By the time it's all said and done the IS F market will have at least 5 different options to satisfy most of our tastes and budget. In the end though exhausts are subjective and a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by N54MPower; 06-22-11 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-11-10, 10:40 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like an extremely interesting exhaust setup. If you don't mind, keep us updated with how this progresses. I'm sure other members, including myself, would like to see the dyno numbers, vids, etc. of the exhaust (anything that you are able to and that HKS will allow you to provide). Looks awesome and happy to hear they're going to offer this to the U.S. market

Also, thanks for offering up your F for the testing
Old 11-11-10, 01:40 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the pics and for being the guinea pig. The exhaust reminds me of a musical instrument (think French Horn or Tuba). Hopefully the sound is intoxicating.
Old 11-11-10, 01:49 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very interested in the gains/sound of this exhaust...never hurts to have more options on the market
Old 11-11-10, 02:42 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

The "Helmholtz Resonator" design approach is very interesting...

Thanks Daryl

Joe Z
Old 11-11-10, 03:03 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Cant wait to see the results...
Old 11-11-10, 03:15 PM
444F444
Driver School Candidate

how much???
Old 11-11-10, 03:16 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting Design keep us posted.
Old 11-11-10, 03:27 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Wouldn't all those elbow turns take away from performance?
Old 11-11-10, 03:49 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

that design looks wicked....its iterally gonna be music to your ears with that trombone shape.
Old 11-11-10, 05:31 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice design. I'm glad other companies are starting to make more products for the F...Darshana S...
Old 11-11-10, 06:56 PM
sweetbird
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sick! I can't wait to hear it! Any estimate on how much! And your lucky! Lol
Old 11-11-10, 07:17 PM
Damage
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What's with all the convoluted piping? Wouldn't that add a lot of extra weight and reduce or slow down flow?
Old 11-11-10, 08:50 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes it would IMO.
Old 11-11-10, 09:16 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

I believe all the bends are engineered with the motor and back pressure. I believe Greddy had a similar muffler at one point(not for the F). From what I remember, tone/drone/DBa levels were significantly decreased while performance gains were still achieved and very similar to straight thru designs.

Quick Reply: HKS SSM IS F Exhaust Pics Inside!