IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Switching to IS-F from Porsche Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 08:57 AM
krue92
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Switching to IS-F from Porsche Cayman S

I recently bought a 06 Cayaman S 6-speed with super low miles that I couldn't turn down. I have had it since June and now I am already bored with it and regretting buying it. I have always loved the IS-F, but they were going for a little more than my Cayman at the time. Coming from a Acura TL before the Cayman, I kinda miss the whole luxury car feel. I am thinking of selling my Cayman do get the IS-F. Is it hard getting used to the auto after driving manuals for so long? I know this is a lexus forum, but would I be happy with the switch? Thanks!
Old 10-28-10, 10:14 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Nah, you get used to it pretty quick. I went from driving manuals for 7 years to an automatic, and it was fine. The ISF it an auto, but it also has the quasi-manual mode. You can put it into manual and either use the paddle-shifters behind the grip of the wheel, or you can use the stick. It's fun and different, and the gear shifts are ultra quick.
I have not driven the Cayman, so it would be difficult for me to tell you if you'd be happy with the switch. I would definitely recommend test driving an ISF though just to make sure. I have not regretted it one bit!
Old 10-28-10, 10:22 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

the switch between manual to auto will probably be easier than the other way around. there's no third pedal, which will quickly re-train the mind to not need you left foot. i'm sorry you really didn't enjoy the Cayman S. it's a great car, but if you're unhappy, you can sell privately and recoup some money for the IS F again. i've had offers to give up my F for a few porsches and even a corvette, but i know very few vehicles come close to the luxury and feel that this car has. it might not be the fastest or get its true recognition, but the way i feel in it simply cannot be replicated in another vehicle, and to me that's a bigger decision maker than simply price and miles on a vehicle. best of luck to you krue92!
Old 10-28-10, 01:58 PM
PHXF
Driver

always interesting...I've been saying for a while my next car would be a cayman s (although newer ones have more power and I'd get PDK...). I drove the 2010 model and fell in love with it...I just didn't wanna drop $72k on it
Old 10-28-10, 02:26 PM
krue92
Driver

Thanks for the input guys. The Porsche Cayman S is a great car and it handles better than any other car I have driven. I just think the IS-F suits me better. I will have to test drive one, but its so hard to locate one. I don't think the dealer would give me great trade in on my Cayman either.
Old 10-28-10, 02:37 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe you would feel you made a mistake down the road as the IS F is very unique, fun plus a great, quality feel. The car draws a lot of attention.
Old 10-28-10, 02:44 PM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

I'm still trying to get used to not having that third pedal.. I came from a E46 M3 with 6MT. The thing I miss most about a manual is the satisfaction of pulling off a perfect heel-and-toe downshift. Although the ISF blips on downshifts, it still jerks the car. I do, however, appreciate the quick shifts in "manual" mode with Sport turned on.
Old 10-28-10, 03:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by mugenh22a4
I'm still trying to get used to not having that third pedal.. I came from a E46 M3 with 6MT. The thing I miss most about a manual is the satisfaction of pulling off a perfect heel-and-toe downshift. Although the ISF blips on downshifts, it still jerks the car. I do, however, appreciate the quick shifts in "manual" mode with Sport turned on.
Keep your foot slightly on the gas and it doesn't jerk at all. I also like the ability to upshift in a turn on the track without upsetting the car. I can't do that ever with a manual.
Old 10-28-10, 04:27 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I went from a Porsche 911 (2002) to my ISF and have never looked back. Go for it!
Old 10-28-10, 05:27 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krue92
Thanks for the input guys. The Porsche Cayman S is a great car and it handles better than any other car I have driven. I just think the IS-F suits me better. I will have to test drive one, but its so hard to locate one. I don't think the dealer would give me great trade in on my Cayman either.
Autotrader is a great place to look. This is where I found mine plus the free Carfax is great too. The one important thing I recommend is to not let distance limit your search. If that specific color and mileage is across the country then go for it. If there is a specific color you want then don't relent until you find it. The F is a special car, but even more special if it's also your 1st choice of color. I searced for about a year before I found my USB with Alpine leather, and it was about 2K miles away. Good luck!
Old 10-28-10, 06:11 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

^ Yup.

I got mine in CALI for a steal IMO. Well worth the 850 mile drive back.

Was going to get one from WI but somebody beat me to it.
Old 10-28-10, 06:14 PM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Keep your foot slightly on the gas and it doesn't jerk at all. I also like the ability to upshift in a turn on the track without upsetting the car. I can't do that ever with a manual.
Yeah, I'll try that...It's tough to keep a light foot during the honeymoon!
Old 10-29-10, 05:53 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Try to find a wholesaler if you can. That's what I did with mine, and they gave me private party value for my IS 250, which is 3-4k higher than "trade-in".
There's a brand new USB one here in Austin. The dealership here sells them pretty "regularly", so they always have at least one available. Let me know if Austin is an option for you.
Old 11-01-10, 01:16 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 09 Cayman S and a 08 IS F that I switch between as my daily drivers. The biggest difference I notice is how high up I sit in the Lexus compared to the CS. It doesn't feel very sporty when you feel so high up. Both are fast cars, but the Lexus is much smoother and the motor noises around 3800 RPM+ is intoxicating. With the CS you have to rev it up higher to get the same auditory satisfaction and the user interface on the PCM is archaic compared to the Lexus. However, I can push the CS into corners way harder than the IS F without an ounce of drama and it is a much sexier looking car IMHO. However, I've had people occasionally take pics of the Lexus and give the thumbs up, no one has ever done that with the Porsche. Surprisingly, I think the Porshe is better built. I've got all sorts of creaks coming from the Lexus, but not anything from the Porsche even at the similar mileage. I've got two windshield cracks from rocks on the Lexus (29,000 miles) and none on the CS (7100 miles). I like the tire pressure and oil level monitors on the CS and wish the Lexus had them too. The CS also gets about 4 MPG more and it's range is about 50-70 miles greater than the IS F. I HATE that there is no audible warning whether you've locked the doors on the CS and the fact that you can't turn off the seatbelt warning.

Really I could go on about the pros and cons of each. Best solution is to buy them both.
Old 11-01-10, 08:19 AM
krue92
Driver

I wish I could have them both..lol Thanks for the comments.

Quick Reply: Switching to IS-F from Porsche Cayman S